How to revise for Economics during summer holidays after GCSE's.

Watch
nathaniakyra
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Any study guides, websites etc that could help me warm up to the A-Level topic before I start in September?
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nathaniakyra)
Any study guides, websites etc that could help me warm up to the A-Level topic before I start in September?
And this one is for economics!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=884

Good luck with all your summer revision!
Demographics
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Search PajHolden AS economics on YouTube. He's an excellent teacher, very clear and concise.
keynes24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anfome offers good textbooks for Economics
http://www.anforme.co.uk/

Did you do Economics at GCSE?
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
khanacademy or pajholden
ytryity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would recommend looking at Tutor2u, economicshelp.

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/EconplusDal/playlists
look at AS Micro & Macro videos!
reyjusuf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really like http://www.khanacademy.org .

He really explain everything so clearly. He has sections on Microeconomics and Macroeconomics.
Giant
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Contrary to what others are saying - I wouldn't actually suggest spending most of your time learning AS/A2 Economics material that you will spend next year learning anyway. Instead, I would suggest reading around the subject to better appreciate what you do learn next year and so you can better put the theories that you learn into context. This includes journals like the Economist, blogs (Paul Krugman's one is pretty good) as well as books. There are a number of really good economics books such as The Worldly Philosophers, How Markets Fail, Poor Economics, End This Depression Now etc. that will provide you with a thorough history and overview of economics that would be far more useful for your studies and/or university applications than simply learning an AS textbook. Reading books/journals etc. would probably also be a lot more interesting than simply grinding through theory
keynes24
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Giant)
Contrary to what others are saying - I wouldn't actually suggest spending most of your time learning AS/A2 Economics material that you will spend next year learning anyway. Instead, I would suggest reading around the subject to better appreciate what you do learn next year and so you can better put the theories that you learn into context. This includes journals like the Economist, blogs (Paul Krugman's one is pretty good) as well as books. There are a number of really good economics books such as The Worldly Philosophers, How Markets Fail, Poor Economics, End This Depression Now etc. that will provide you with a thorough history and overview of economics that would be far more useful for your studies and/or university applications than simply learning an AS textbook. Reading books/journals etc. would probably also be a lot more interesting than simply grinding through theory
I would only consider reading those (which are usually suggested reading materials for students thinking of applying to economics) after the end of your first year only.
Amazing.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't bother. You will have forgotten all the information by the time AS starts.
Krollo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm quite interested - I did GCSE Economics this year, and I'm hoping to do AS next year. I read 'The Undercover Economist' a few months ago which was quite fun. I'm itching to get going with the proper content, so I've just been going through the Tutor2u notes, which are remarkably good.
acer0951
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't rush into going through the syllabus too much. But definitely get The Economist and read it trying to analyse as relation to actual events with basic economic principles like supply and demand. This should help you understand application of economics in real world principles which is really what the AQA exams are about. Apart from multiple choice, that's just disgraceful (I found it anyway). Overall economics is definitely a very interesting topic to study and I'm sure you'll enjoy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
keynes24
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by acer0951)
I wouldn't rush into going through the syllabus too much. But definitely get The Economist and read it trying to analyse as relation to actual events with basic economic principles like supply and demand. This should help you understand application of economics in real world principles which is really what the AQA exams are about. Apart from multiple choice, that's just disgraceful (I found it anyway). Overall economics is definitely a very interesting topic to study and I'm sure you'll enjoy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Economist is something I would only recommend after 1st year AS is completed. Multiple choice questions require practices, questions are in most cases repetitive from previous years. A2 has more room for real world application and you will definitely benefit from further reading.
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
(Original post by keynes24)
Anfome offers good textbooks for Economics
http://www.anforme.co.uk/

Did you do Economics at GCSE?
No I didn't, but the economics teacher said it wouldn't be a problem.
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
Thank you for the replies everybody. Much appreciated!
keynes24
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No I didn't, but the economics teacher said it wouldn't be a problem.
Learning it on your own? It would be, some concepts are difficult to get.
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
(Original post by keynes24)
Learning it on your own? It would be, some concepts are difficult to get.
I know, but I'd just like to at least be familiar with the subject so I'd have a basic idea of what it's about. So I wouldn't take as long to adjust to the subject.... if you know what I mean.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.65%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.23%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
22.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.05%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed