would you resit general studies? Watch

cowsgomoo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
i got an A, a B and a U for AS general studies, overall C.

i have no idea HOW i got 33% in politics or why, i thought my essays were quite fully and well written, but obviously not.

should i resit it to get an overall A or B or is it not worth it? i wanted to apply for medicine and thought it might make my grades look sh**ter
superchemical
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wouldn't bother, since unis tend to ignore General Studies anyway. I know people who have actually left out their General Studies AS from their UCAS form.
cowsgomoo
Rep:
?
ok then. if i decide not to apply to sheffield i might do the same (sheffield accept it as part of their offer)
paintedblind
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I resat the Politics paper, and it went up from 63 to 90, without any extra work put into it. If you don't mind taking exams, it probably wouldn't hurt to retake it, though it's true that most universities don't really care.

If you're going to take it for A-level, though, you may as well spend an extra hour or so picking up a bunch of marks.
ashy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
NO! There's really no point mate, you'd be better off resitting some of your other AS papers to make your life next year easier, or just forget about it and use that time to do A2 stuff. Unis just don't care about A2 general studies.
Straggler
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by greengrass)
should i resit it to get an overall A or B or is it not worth it?
Unfortunately it is the perfectionist coming out in me, but why would you admit defeat to a subject that is considered incredibly easy? Get in there and get an A in GS! It will at least convince yourself that you can work hard and improve your performance if you want to. :p:
cowsgomoo
Rep:
?
our school forces us to do general studies

i think liverpuddle accepts it too

if i do resit, could someone please teach me how to not get a U in AQA politics please
paintedblind
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, there aren't really many hard-and-fast rules for General Studies. I suppose if you've done History at GCSE, that might help with answering source questions. You should probably read the newspaper frequently and keep up with all aspects of the government if possible, since you can never tell what they're going to ask you. It might also help to familiarise yourself with each of the main papers- ie. the Guardian is a left-wing broadsheet, therefore fairly intellectual.

Another good tactic is to get hold of some past papers and their mark schemes. To be honest, if you look through a couple you'll probably have a good idea of what they want in their answers- ie. if the source uses emotive language, if the source is from a tabloid and therefore possibly less trustworthy.
JeremyC
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by greengrass)
if i do resit, could someone please teach me how to not get a U in AQA politics please
Reading a broadsheet newspaper regularly would probably do the trick.
anon53
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You could look at the examiners' report for your exam. They are not usually published online until a few weeks after results are published. It usually includes a list of misconceptions and areas where candidates struggled etc. I think there is usually a textbook to accompny the course, but I am not sure of the value of these.

Did you complete the exam paper?
cowsgomoo
Rep:
?
well i rushed the last essay but otherwise i didnt think it deserved a U.
i dont know i seriously.... just dont know. i am usually good at answering source questions, and know about tabloids/bradsheets, cant remember if i mentioned it. maybe pages fell out.
but a resit is cheaper than a remark so might go for that.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You might as well. It isn't accepted at a lot of universities, especially for a competitive course like medicine, but you've already found at least one that does, so it could end up saving you next year if you drop a grade in another subject. From what I've heard, you can't revise for it anyway, you're only giving up an hour or so to sit the exam and it doesn't matter if you do worse because the highest mark counts, so you have nothing to lose really.
cowsgomoo
Rep:
?
thanks people
Michael Scofield
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As the record holder for most hate shown towards General Studies, I say that there is no f****** point of retaking anything General Studies-related.

As for the person that said "you don't want to admit defeat to an easy subject so retake it", I say "admit defeat to it and do subjects well that people DO NOT generally find easy". The latter will gain you more confidence.

Unless of course your uni accepts General Studies, then that's a different matter...
stratomaster
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do not bother its a waste of time. I'm pretty sure they grade GS quite 'loosely'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (586)
80.27%
Leave (144)
19.73%

Watched Threads