Katejcr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have my second performance mock for music, and I'm having trouble choosing a song to perform, I've decided to sing after my first guitar performance not going as well as planned due to nerves, but I don't know what song to do!
I'd like to do a song from a musical, but the vast majority I like aren't solo. I'd rather not do pop as I have little knowledge of that genre :/
What did you perform?
What do you recommend?
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Katejcr)
I have my second performance mock for music, and I'm having trouble choosing a song to perform, I've decided to sing after my first guitar performance not going as well as planned due to nerves, but I don't know what song to do!
I'd like to do a song from a musical, but the vast majority I like aren't solo. I'd rather not do pop as I have little knowledge of that genre :/
What did you perform?
What do you recommend?
Heya, I'm going to put this in the creative and performance arts forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=81

I guess you should perform something you enjoy and feel comfortable with!
SilverNight
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I did my solo on violin, I think I did 'Allegro' by Telemann. Recommendation for songs I'm bad at, but here's my recommendation at choosing a song.

If I'm not mistaken, GCSE music solo piece should be around about Grade 5, so my advice would be to look at pieces for Grade 5 music for voice (or guitar whichever you choose) from musical exam boards like Trinity or ABRSM and choose a piece from one of those lists.

I think it's also useful to have your instrumental/voice teacher go over and choose the piece with you, so in this way it would also be easier for him/her to teach it to you.

Make sure it's a piece you like, and listen to many covers of it so you get a feel for how you're going to play it on the real day.

For voice, I'm not sure how it works but I would recommend not using a backing track as that has a fixed rhythm and you can't show your style well. So find someone to be your accompaniment and perhaps work with them to find a piece you can play.

As for dealing with nerves, this was a big problem for me as well. When you get the chance, try practicing or performing your piece in front of an audience; this can be your parents or friends, whoever, to get used to "performing". It's fine to be a bit nervous, and stressed, just don't let it get to you.

Solos from musicals I know of:
Memory - from Cats
I dreamed a dream - from Les Miserables
On my own - from Les Miserables
Think of me - from Phantom of the Opera
liverpoolbloke99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just had my solo performance today how did yours go?

Regards Liverpoolbloke99
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (140)
4.8%
Uncertainty around my education (428)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (327)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (408)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (133)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (177)
6.07%
Loneliness (250)
8.58%
Financial worries (108)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (119)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (133)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (157)
5.39%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (259)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (276)
9.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed