Skincare routine - where to start? Watch

sophieleannexo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So as you may know I'm starting to get into make-up. I've been watching a lot of videos on YouTube recently and I've been noticing that people mentioned having a skincare routine. I'd like to start having one. I've looked at threads on here and looked at specific skincare routines on YouTube but I'm still really confused. I have redness in my cheeks and jaw bone area, am dry around my nose and my jawbone and on my forehead a little, though in the summer I'm more oily on my forehead and on my nose. I've noticed people have day and night routines and some have different routines for different seasons. I don't have anything regarding skincare except my simple skincare makeup removal wipes. Any recommendations on a full skincare routine or products would help. My budget is £30 for everything. I'd push maybe to £35-40 but nothing more.

Thank you in advance.
Apologies in advance if I ask questions when you reply!

Sophie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My skin always gets oily during the day, and I haven't been able to find anything to reduce the sebum production, so nowadays I just carry around mineral foundation (powder foundation that's good for acne-prone skin) and reapply it 3 or 4 times throughout the day onto my nose and cheeks and it absorbs the oil right up.
sophieleannexo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Petulia)
My skin always gets oily during the day, and I haven't been able to find anything to reduce the sebum production, so nowadays I just carry around mineral foundation (powder foundation that's good for acne-prone skin) and reapply it 3 or 4 times throughout the day onto my nose and cheeks and it absorbs the oil right up.
I'd prefer using a liquid foundation as mineral foundation looks weird on my skin. It sticks to my dry skin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
acciolucy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you have both dry patches and oily patches then your skin type is probably 'combination', probably more oily in the summer. I would just start off going in to boots/superdrug and getting a basic cleanser (such as superdrug tea tree cleanser which is great for all skin types), a manual exfoliator (a light scrub that removes dead skin and can help clean out pores), and moisturiser. People typically use a heavier, thicker night moisturiser as it will really hydrate your skin and you'll wake up with nice healthy glowy skin. Then for the morning typically a lighter weight moisturiser is used so it sits nicely under make up.

I would start just quickly using a cleanser and moisturiser morning and night, plus an exfoliator in the evening ever few days. If you wear make up (especially mascara) it can also be useful to use face wipes just to remove the mascara and any waterproof/long wear makeup and you don't want to be leaving that on your skin!

I would really recommend the superdrug 'B.' Range, it clearly says on all the packets what skin type/age the products are aimed at, plus they're decent quality and affordable!
LadyEcliptic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I exfoliate using a little exfoliated thing gently, and not all the time, and use a gentle face scrub. Then tone and moisturise using a primer moisturiser to help hold any make up, and I use bb cream and mineral powder stuff, I'm quite pale so liquid foundations can be pretty dark even after mixing. You could always try homemade thing, my aunts made me a skin cleanser and it makes my skin glow nice
sophieleannexo
Rep:
?
(Original post by acciolucy)
If you have both dry patches and oily patches then your skin type is probably 'combination', probably more oily in the summer. I would just start off going in to boots/superdrug and getting a basic cleanser (such as superdrug tea tree cleanser which is great for all skin types), a manual exfoliator (a light scrub that removes dead skin and can help clean out pores), and moisturiser. People typically use a heavier, thicker night moisturiser as it will really hydrate your skin and you'll wake up with nice healthy glowy skin. Then for the morning typically a lighter weight moisturiser is used so it sits nicely under make up.

I would start just quickly using a cleanser and moisturiser morning and night, plus an exfoliator in the evening ever few days. If you wear make up (especially mascara) it can also be useful to use face wipes just to remove the mascara and any waterproof/long wear makeup and you don't want to be leaving that on your skin!

I would really recommend the superdrug 'B.' Range, it clearly says on all the packets what skin type/age the products are aimed at, plus they're decent quality and affordable!
thank you. I just realised I have a moisturizer, its nivea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sophieleannexo
Rep:
?
BUMP

Posted from TSR Mobile
sophieleannexo
Rep:
?
Also I forgot to mention that I don't get spots that much. I'd say I rarely get them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wow, do people actually exfoliate?
sophieleannexo
Rep:
?
(Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa)
Wow, do people actually exfoliate?
Think you are supposed to...

Posted from TSR Mobile
sophieleannexo
Rep:
?
Bump.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sfink
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you don't want to have skin problems, use pure chimp super cleanser, it solves a lot of skin problems and it helped me much personally.
Highly recommended to try.
kurofune
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For skincare routine, I'm assuming you're referring to the globs to clean our face. Makeup is a different realm. So anyways, there are some general stuff that you need:

1. Cleanser
-Pretty self explanatory. You need cleanser to clean your face. Judging from the way you describe your skin, I'd personally go with any old cleanser, to be honest. Your skin doesn't sound like it's sensitive. (If it is, I'd get ALL skincare products targeted for sensitive skin.) If you use makeup, I'd get specific makeup removal cleansers. (Oil cleansers, if you want to splurge.) As a general rule, if you use makeup regularly, I'd use makeup removal that is for sensitive skin. Using makeup removal wipes on a daily basis is brutal, especially if you use thick eye makeup.

2. Toner
Personally, I think toner is optional, but some skincare purists will disagree. Most people tend to use toner if they have sensitive skin, or want to make their pores appear smaller. If you don't have those issues, then it's not the end of the world if you don't buy toner.

3. Moisturizer
Personally, I recommend that you use moisturizer. Judging from the way you describe your skin changing in the seasons, you should use different moisturizer for the seasons. (This is actually a general rule for skincare in general, but it's okay if you don't follow it.) For summer, I'd use LIGHT moisturizer for the face, preferably water-based. Putting it in the fridge will help keep your skin nice and cool. For winter, THICK conditioner seems like a must.

4. Exfoliator
This is something that should be used weekly, or every other week. When skin gets dry, I'd say every week. Don't go too rough on your skin, irritation could occur.

There's also a bunch of other mumbo-jumbo I could advise you to buy, but you don't have an infinite amount of money to spend. Also, you don't seem to have specific skin problems. Oh dear, I've watched too many videos.
sophieleannexo
Rep:
?
(Original post by kurofune)
For skincare routine, I'm assuming you're referring to the globs to clean our face. Makeup is a different realm. So anyways, there are some general stuff that you need:

1. Cleanser
-Pretty self explanatory. You need cleanser to clean your face. Judging from the way you describe your skin, I'd personally go with any old cleanser, to be honest. Your skin doesn't sound like it's sensitive. (If it is, I'd get ALL skincare products targeted for sensitive skin.) If you use makeup, I'd get specific makeup removal cleansers. (Oil cleansers, if you want to splurge.) As a general rule, if you use makeup regularly, I'd use makeup removal that is for sensitive skin. Using makeup removal wipes on a daily basis is brutal, especially if you use thick eye makeup.

2. Toner
Personally, I think toner is optional, but some skincare purists will disagree. Most people tend to use toner if they have sensitive skin, or want to make their pores appear smaller. If you don't have those issues, then it's not the end of the world if you don't buy toner.

3. Moisturizer
Personally, I recommend that you use moisturizer. Judging from the way you describe your skin changing in the seasons, you should use different moisturizer for the seasons. (This is actually a general rule for skincare in general, but it's okay if you don't follow it.) For summer, I'd use LIGHT moisturizer for the face, preferably water-based. Putting it in the fridge will help keep your skin nice and cool. For winter, THICK conditioner seems like a must.

4. Exfoliator
This is something that should be used weekly, or every other week. When skin gets dry, I'd say every week. Don't go too rough on your skin, irritation could occur.

There's also a bunch of other mumbo-jumbo I could advise you to buy, but you don't have an infinite amount of money to spend. Also, you don't seem to have specific skin problems. Oh dear, I've watched too many videos.
Thank you. I only have rosacea (redness of the skin).

Posted from TSR Mobile
graceurich
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i prefer used mineral foundation and moisturizer when your skin is sensitive.
NRahman_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sophieleannexo)
So as you may know I'm starting to get into make-up. I've been watching a lot of videos on YouTube recently and I've been noticing that people mentioned having a skincare routine. I'd like to start having one. I've looked at threads on here and looked at specific skincare routines on YouTube but I'm still really confused. I have redness in my cheeks and jaw bone area, am dry around my nose and my jawbone and on my forehead a little, though in the summer I'm more oily on my forehead and on my nose. I've noticed people have day and night routines and some have different routines for different seasons. I don't have anything regarding skincare except my simple skincare makeup removal wipes. Any recommendations on a full skincare routine or products would help. My budget is £30 for everything. I'd push maybe to £35-40 but nothing more.

Thank you in advance.
Apologies in advance if I ask questions when you reply!

Sophie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will always recommmend trying bodyshop because they are extremely cheap and they have the bestttttttt skincare 200%
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
:backstab:

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (132)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (201)
27.24%
Not great so far... (266)
36.04%
I want to drop out! (139)
18.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed