Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    firstly i got in.
    yey
    civil engineering '06
    i got a letter from the dept. saying that i am ''required to take an elective subject from the Humanities Programme''
    ''All humanities/languages options offered are available to you except H15 Humanities Essay'' --what exactly does this mean??

i checked the sight, but there was no H15.

also in the letter, they strongly advise the choice of a language subject... im kind of 50-50 on this... what have you people choosen??
    thanks.

oh and does the elective subject count towards the civil engineering degree?

oh n civil is the greatest of engineering degrees!!!!!! just thought i'd mention that, because it doesnt get as much publicity as the other ones.

ReputationRep:
    well, I'm sorry I can't fully answer your question because I'm not a civil engineering student...
    but if you have the chance to take a language, I'd go for it. It will stand out on your CV more than any other humanities option. On the other hand - I'm not sure exactly what kind of job you'll be looking for later. If it's with a international firm - then taking that language option could really impress them. Anything only UK based with no real contacts abroad won't care that much about a language.

ReputationRep:
    You should call I suppose and ask them exactly what you need to do and what they would recommend or what others do .
    I think I m going to take a language myself, since I did 5 years of german and I don't want those to have been for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I would reccomend a language as well. The only this is it takes up 3 times more time than any other humanity. But as you are doing an engineering, languages would really compliment your degree well. But if you just want to do a humnities that won't take much of your time... DON'T take a language.

ReputationRep:
    A language is not too bad. 3 hours of lessons a week out of 10 hours of lunch break. And they do not really mind if you take a lesson off. I just found the two hour lunch breaks a bit boring, and I could not be bothered to do proper work in them.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my friends who did french ended up not having a lunch break because they had tutorials until 1, and then french lessons till 2 and then start again at 2 for oher lectures/practicals. So i guess it depends on your timetable next year really. I think civ eng is quite relaxed so I wouldn't worry about this too much.

ReputationRep:
    ok, thanks for the replies, but i should have mentioned that i'm already fluent in one language... arabic, and in the list of languages available, it has arabic at beginners level.

so i suppose that i can already include that 'impressive factor' in my CV, althought, by 'fluent' i mean listening and speaking, i cannot read or write in arabic. so should i take it up at beginners level, to aquire these two rather essential skills, or just stick with the listening and speaking.... since it is more important i guess.

that will leave me with the ''easier'' options so-to-speak. or alternatively, i can pick up another language (i should also mention i have a C in GCSE French) something totally different, like a far-east asian language, with all the work developing in places like china, it may be an advantage....

more input please.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Mandarin would be an excellent language to learn if you have the dedication. It can be very difficult, but like you said, would be really advantageous for the future as china is an up and coming power.

You can always go for say spanish which would also be quite helpful. A lot of coutries use spanish. So yeah.

ReputationRep:
    civ eng is quite realxed.... REALLY??

(im not being scarastic btw... i seriously want to know)

ReputationRep:
    compared to chem eng, alot of courses are relaxed. But yeah you have 10 o clock starts and breaks in between lectures and stuff. Its a pretty doss course for the first term. We called it the joke engineering!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julius caesar)
    ok, thanks for the replies, but i should have mentioned that i'm already fluent in one language... arabic, and in the list of languages available, it has arabic at beginners level.
    I'm in the same situation, sortofish. When I was in grades 8,9 & 10 I was living in the Middle east where I was forced to take Arabic. I'm absolutely crap at writing/understanding/grammar but I can read pretty well. Thing is I got an A* at GCSE level - which just goes to show how much of a joke that exam is - & I want to take Arabic and pick it up again properly this time but the course description highlights that it's for beginners with no previous experience in Arabic

what to do..what to do
    if anyone can help I'd be grateful

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you take Arabic you should find it easier than most and you'll have more time for the rest of your course. So that's a good option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julius caesar)
    firstly i got in.
    yey
    civil engineering '06
    i got a letter from the dept. saying that i am ''required to take an elective subject from the Humanities Programme''
    ''All humanities/languages options offered are available to you except H15 Humanities Essay'' --what exactly does this mean??

i checked the sight, but there was no H15.

also in the letter, they strongly advise the choice of a language subject... im kind of 50-50 on this... what have you people choosen??
    thanks.

oh and does the elective subject count towards the civil engineering degree?

oh n civil is the greatest of engineering degrees!!!!!! just thought i'd mention that, because it doesnt get as much publicity as the other ones.
    except from
    http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/humanitie...anitiescourses

Humanities Courses
    Humanities courses offer you the opportunity to study subjects that can make important contributions to your general education. The courses aim to give you practice in ways of thinking about human affairs and creative activity that are not always amenable to the quantitative techniques of science and technology.

H01 Philosophy
    H04 Controversies & Ethical Dilemmas in Science & Technology
    H05 European History 1870-1989
    H06 Politics
    H07 Science & Technology in Western Civilisation
    H08 Global History of Twentieth Century Things
    H09 History of Medicine
    H11 Art of the Twentieth Century
    H12 Music & Western Civilisation
    H13 Communicating Science: the Public & the Media
    H15 Humanities Essay
    H17 The Roman Empire
    H19 Creative Writing
    H21 Music Technology
    H22 Saying True Things: How Science Invents & Persuades
    H23 Film Studies

Enrolment information Detailed Course Notes Humanities Timetable Humanities Contacts Past Exam Papers
    Your course requires that you pass a certain number of modules a year. Your final grade will be a weighted average of the score based on the course unit count (typically 0.5 per module). In short your humanities WILL count towards your degree.
    You may also enroll on language courses outside of your course, this will obviously NOT count to your degree.
    Contact the Humanities department for further details.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.