The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Some Questions About OU.....

Hi!

I am looking to enroll soon in the combined social sciences degree. [I'm just waiting for the prospectus to arrive so I can have a look over it, but I do want to apply sooner rather than later.

Has anybody studied combined social sciences? Or psychology/sociology etc?

I'm still debating whether I want to do 60/90/120 credits... I might do 90.

How does the assignments work? How many as a 60, 90 or 120 credit assignments do you get? Like roughly how long in between do you have to complete one? [For instance one per month, one every 2 weeks etc & roughly how many words]

Do you have to do a set amount of credits each year, for instance if you start out with 60 but next year want to do 120, can you change how many credits each year or do you have to stay on 60 [or chosen amount] for the rest of the duration of the degree

Also, say if you wanted to take a break for a holiday or something, are you allowed to take a break for a 2/3 week period while studying?

What can I expect out of level 1,2&3?

When I apply for the course do I have to write anything about myself?

I'm sorry for so many questions lol! I'm nervous and excited about the road to come....

Thank you so much to who replies!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by S1x
Hi!

I am looking to enroll soon in the combined social sciences degree. [I'm just waiting for the prospectus to arrive so I can have a look over it, but I do want to apply sooner rather than later.

How does the assignments work? How many as a 60, 90 or 120 credit assignments do you get? Like roughly how long in between do you have to complete one? [For instance one per month, one every 2 weeks etc & roughly how many words]

Do you have to do a set amount of credits each year, for instance if you start out with 60 but next year want to do 120, can you change how many credits each year or do you have to stay on 60 [or chosen amount] for the rest of the duration of the degree

Also, say if you wanted to take a break for a holiday or something, are you allowed to take a break for a 2/3 week period while studying?

I'm sorry for so many questions lol! I'm nervous and excited about the road to come....

Hi, I've done a completely different subject but seen as no one has answered you yet I can answer a few questions.
You can take as many credits as you want each year you don't have to stick to the same amount each year. However 120 is really the max (150 in exceptional circumstances is sometimes allowed) but as modules may start at different times you can stagger the credits (but it is shifting towards Oct starts only) .
You don't need to write anything to apply, it's not like a brick uni in that sense where you need a personal statement. When I applied just filled out basic info form and asked what was highest level of education before OU.

TMA wise it's usually twice the amount of TMAs for a 60 compared to a 30credit module. Not too sure about length I did maths and computing not essay type questions. Usually a month or so in between them. If you look on the website for the module descriptions (from the degree description) there's a table saying how many TMAs are done for that module and whether its an exam or final assignment (EMA).

You can take a break provided you aren't missing any compulsory aspects of the course (online practicals etc that you have to take part in) and if have assignment due you can get it done earlier provided you have all the materials to do so. You can ask for extensions and it's down to tutors discretion but the max is 3 weeks but I wouldn't advise that as it means you could fall behind but they are pretty ok with giving a few extra days etc. Tutorials are optional so you don't have to attend if you don't want to so don't worry about missing them and online ones are often recorded so can watch later.

Level one is usually the 'easiest' as it's designed to bring everyone up to the same level so it's easier to do more Level 1 credits at once than Level2 and 3. (IMO) Level 2 is a bit of a step up and level 3 again. Reme,ber level 2 and 3 are used to classify the honours level of your degree so it might be best not to overload with those, especially level3 which is worth double level 2 when working out honours. Level 3 I've found can require more hours put in but it has been worth it.

Hope some of that has helped.:smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by S1x
Hi!

Hi,

I've just finished the old Combined Social Sciences degree (B69) and now I'm waiting for my final results. The structure of the new degree has changed somewhat (Q69 I think?) but I'll try to answer some of your questions.

As far as I know, at stage 1 there is a compulsory 60 credit module (DD102) and you can also choose one of two additional modules (another 60 credits). There is a more detailed plan here: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q69#int-study-plan

You'll need 120 credits at every level (2x60 credits) and studying full-time allows you to finish the degree in 3 years. If you feel that 120 credits is too much at level 1, of course you can do 60 at level 2 after that, followed by another 60 etc.

If you look at the module website, it should tell you how many assignments there are, e.g. 5 TMAs and 1 iCMA for DD102: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/details/dd102?orig=q69

With 60 credits it often comes down to 1 TMA a month which are between 750 and 1500 words at level 1, so very manageable. Also, keep in mind that the TMA cut-off dates are released at the start of the module, so you can always plan ahead and leave enough time. Personally, I've never had to ask for a single extension in 3 years at the OU but tutors are usually very understanding if there are unforeseen circumstances.

I started the degree in Oct 2011 and there was a lot more flexibility back then, so I started with DD101 (60 credits) at level 1 which was a nice introduction and there wasn't really any pressure at that point. Of course, a lot depends on your tutor and the ways they engage with students. I then did two 30 credit modules before moving on to level 2. At one point, I was actually doing 150 credits but even then it was still manageable, especially since the EMAs and the exam didn't overlap. Doing two 60 credit modules at level 3 in my final year was much tougher and the workload is considerably higher compared to level 2. I wouldn't worry about that too much though, as you develop all the necessary study skills along the way and as long as you're well organised there shouldn't be any problems.

I hope that helps, let me know if you need to know anything else.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest