Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, people keep mentioning this in random threads, and it has confused me a bit. My course is management with french, so i obviously have compulsory french modules and compulsory management modules. But people then say you have to choose extra modules. So one would assume you pick extra ones say, french culture, or french cinema eg. However, people are mentioning that the extra modules have to be outside your course. Like if you do french, you have to pick modules from something like computer studies, or geography or spanish etc. What actually happens? I don't want to do stupid modules that aren't relevant to my course. It seems a bit of a waste of time when you could be improving your french or something.

ReputationRep:
    If its in one of your departments, then it doesn't count as an subsid module!

You might not have to do extra modules if you're joint honours, your department will tell you everything you need to know when you get there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)

You might not have to do extra modules if you're joint honours, your department will tell you everything you need to know when you get there!

okay, thank you! i hope i don't have to.

ReputationRep:
    Does't look like you do! http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/business/ug/N2R1.html

ReputationRep:
    Yea, single honours courses have to do a certain number of creds outside their school ... is that single or dual honours?

ReputationRep:
    Does't look like you do! http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/business/ug/N2R1.html
    i hope not i hadn't heard it mentioned when i went on the open day or anything, but now i'm thinking the '10 credits of approved optional modules' mean i will have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .jen.)
    i hope not i hadn't heard it mentioned when i went on the open day or anything, but now i'm thinking the '10 credits of approved optional modules' mean i will have to.
    Oh didn't notice that! I imagine it's possible to do them in french if you want to though, don't see any reason why they'd stop you.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm first year arts normally have to do a certain amount outside, but hey ... what do I know I didnt have to do any and I know nothing about your degree .

ReputationRep:

Sorry to keep talking about the same thing, but I will be able to take modules from outside my school, right? The two compulsory courses amount to 40 credits, so can I take two Philo modules, worth 10 credits each?

ReputationRep:
    Wait a minute! Now it says there are three compulsory modules for me, 20 credits each. Does that mean I cannot take extra modules ???

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/prospect...615&mod_year=1

ReputationRep:
    semester 1 is entirely compulsory, semester two you will do 20 creds outside the school i believe from reading that link.

ReputationRep:
    ARGH !!!!! What if the Philo modules I want only run in the autumn semester ??? I don't like that!

ReputationRep:
    Do you *have* to stick to 60 creds? Can't you do more if you want :p: ? lol

ReputationRep:
    You can take differing ratios as long as it adds up to at least 120. I would suggest not doing more than 120 as its just a waste of time. You can do an 80:40 split I think, but the worst Ive heard is 70:50 and the 80:40 would be a hellish workload in semester 1 which you dont want whilst getting to know ppl! Even though all you need to do is pass that owuld be well harsh.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, well, I'll have to talk to someone at Nottingham then, because I really want those two philo modules and they only offer them in Semester one Maybe I could just do one of them then. Not that I am especially hard working, but I could be if I had to cos I really want those modules! And then if I can take less classes in semester 2, that's also not too bad...

ReputationRep:
    Yea, a light load in semester two would be the bonus.

ReputationRep:
    Is 120 credits what you always have to add up to and is that for the year or semester?

80 of mine in first year come from Politics, so I've got 40 to find elsewhere I guess. Either option politics or sociology.

ReputationRep:
    120 per year, yes. If you are politics most of them wont be allowed to be in politics you HAVE to take some outside your school in first year.

ReputationRep:
    Anne, you can definitly do a 70/50 split, I'm not sure they'd let you do more than that though.

And year Politics you HAVE to take some from outside the school. It used to be 60 compulsory, with an option to do the 20 credit European Union module that was complusory for european politics students, meaning you only had to find 10 credits outside a semester.

However, I think they changed the EU module from a 20 credit to a 10 credit one by taking out the economics bit and made everyone do it, hence you'll probably have to find 20 from outside the school each semester. (They don't do any other modules for first year!) But it should be pretty easy to find 20 credits of sociology modules.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I guess more than that would be too tough. Would 70/50 be doable though?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2006
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.