The Student Room Group

Difference between BSc and MMath?

I want to do maths at uni at a pretty good uni and I don't know what the difference is between BSc and MMaths courses. I don't care about PhDs or anything like that. I just want a degree and then to go straight into a job. WHich should I do? (Btw, for the purpose if this, assume I'm really good at maths)
Reply 1
Original post by a96clark
I want to do maths at uni at a pretty good uni and I don't know what the difference is between BSc and MMaths courses. I don't care about PhDs or anything like that. I just want a degree and then to go straight into a job. WHich should I do? (Btw, for the purpose if this, assume I'm really good at maths)

MMath is roughly equivalent to doing a BSc followed by a masters. It's useful for people who are interested in doing a PhD but not so necessary for people going into employment (although the extra mathematical content could be useful for some jobs, I'm not sure). The reason it exists is because it's easier to get funding for an MMath degree than to do a BSc & masters.

If you're unsure which one to go for then it's usually recommended to apply for Mmath initially then change down to the BSc. The reason for this is that the paperwork with student loans is easier going in this direction compared to changing the other way. Also the grade requirements for both courses are usually quite similar.

In your situation, if you're sure you want to go straight into employment then the BSc may be the best option for you. It's worth bearing in mind that the MMath degree requires you to do much harder modules especially towards the end.

Quick Reply

Latest