amanda.mae
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm very interested in the animal biology program at University of Stirling. However, I'm from the U.S. and my parents don't think it's a great idea for me to directly enroll there. If I go to college in the U.S. it will be a wildlife biology degree in my home state. The college with that has study abroad, but I'm not sure how great it is. Is it possible I could go for wildlife biology in the U.S. for two years and then transfer to University of Stirling?? From what I could tell the classes for the first two years are similar at both schools. Thanks!!
Calum10
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by amanda.mae)
I'm very interested in the animal biology program at University of Stirling. However, I'm from the U.S. and my parents don't think it's a great idea for me to directly enroll there. If I go to college in the U.S. it will be a wildlife biology degree in my home state. The college with that has study abroad, but I'm not sure how great it is. Is it possible I could go for wildlife biology in the U.S. for two years and then transfer to University of Stirling?? From what I could tell the classes for the first two years are similar at both schools. Thanks!!
Hi Amanda,

Your chosen University/College in the US will have affiliated Universities in the UK that you will be able to enter into a student exchange with, firstly, check to see if Stirling Uni is one of those on offer - it it happens to be, great, you could spend your whole of 3rd year (Junior year) at Stirling.
However, there are other ways to Student exchange. I'm sure there is a company called CISS that allow US Student to come to the UK and Europe to study, however, the trouble with this is you will have to pay the full fees for the year, as well as all the travel expenses and accommodation. Due to not actually going through the US University, you won't be guaranteed on campus accommodation.
I wouldn't recommend enrolling in a US degree for two years, then dropping out to go to a University here in the UK for a couple of reasons:

1. Not all of the modules are transferable. So, whilst you might think you have similar classes at the degree in the USA, they might not be transferable to the UK meaning they won't consider them at all. This could possibly lead to you applying for 3rd year (Junior) year entry at University at Stirling with no recognizable or transferable qualifications - which will result in an automatic rejection.

2. Unless you have a Scholarship, the price for students from the US to study in the UK can be the same if not more than the price it is to study in the USA. Not to mention travel expenses, higher cost of living etc.

Your best bet would be to either directly enroll in a degree in Scotland and move over for the four years, or to enroll in a university which allows a student exchange for your 3rd/junior year.

Like I said above, just be careful. One of my close friends in the US applied for Stirling and was accepted but the cost was just far too high to move over here and study. She was actually cheaper going to a very good University in her state to study, and is considering coming over to Scotland in her 3rd year. What I would do is try to contact a career service or the University you are thinking of going to in the US and ask them for more information.
Seanmo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by amanda.mae)
Is it possible I could go for wildlife biology in the U.S. for two years and then transfer to University of Stirling?? From what I could tell the classes for the first two years are similar at both schools. Thanks!!
Hi Amanda.

I'm essentially transferring after one year at Binghamton University in American and I dont think any of my credits transfer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.74%
I'm not sure (2)
1.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (39)
31.45%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (58)
46.77%

Watched Threads