Welsh courses? Watch

dani_88
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
With my welcome pack, there was a little yellow leaflet about welsh courses..

Now im not welsh nor do i know any welsh at all, but considering im going to be living there for the next four years it might be an idea to do one of the beginners courses.. Good idea / Bad idea?

Anyone considering learning any welsh for uni?
magnad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Dani I thought about it, but considering we're going to be learning 2 languages from scratch, I thought it would be a little confusing
befskulls
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
heya, I think I'm going to be doing it if it doesn't clash with anything. It's not essential because most people around bangor speak english but it'll be interesting. I'm going to just improve my Welsh because it's really scratchy and rusty, but it's up to you. It's not essential to get by up there or anything but I can imagine it coming in handy if you ever encounter signs or stuff that aren't bilingual.
sexysax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I used to be fluent in Welsh and now I can't speak a word really. I went to uni last year with the intention of doing a course but didn't get around to it, and this year I'll probably be far too busy, but I will look into it.
glitter_bug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dani_88)
With my welcome pack, there was a little yellow leaflet about welsh courses..

Now im not welsh nor do i know any welsh at all, but considering im going to be living there for the next four years it might be an idea to do one of the beginners courses.. Good idea / Bad idea?

Anyone considering learning any welsh for uni?

hey
yeah I think we were tlkin bout this on msn. I got my pack today n was thinking exactly the same thing!i think its a great idea - we'd have such a laugh, I keep trying to say words in a welsh accent, haha, i'm starting to doubt my choice of a language related course I sound so bad:p:
Still, it would be great if it actually resulted in being able to speak welsh - n since your learning languages anyway it would be another to add to your list
milton
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've got a welsh learning kit, it's got a book and two CDs to work through, it's basic conversation, and phrases, plus pronouciation which is very handy indeed
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sounds good! I'm definitely going to look into it and if it's cheap and at a time when I can go without it getting in the way of uni and my job then I'll do it .
macrodollar
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's not at all needed, but great if any of you decide to do it! I'd say Welsh is a relatively simple language to get to grips with, the main problems are the mutations, and I suppose pronounciation of non-english sounds. My problem is that I'm going to England but want to become fluent even though I haven't studied it since GCSE...
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Pronunciation of non-English sounds is mostly a piece of cake for me luckily, as I used to live in Wales and used to be fluent in this language I now can't speak:confused: :rolleyes: .
ames123
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I know a little Welsh from when I lived in Wales, but not much. I would say go for it. You should have plently of free time in first year and it will be a way to meet people. I think there is a stand at serendipty about learning Welsh as I remember so check them out.
Figaro123
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You should definately do it. Studying other languages is even more incentive, because the more languages you do study the easier it is to pick up new ones.

I'm not knocking English - I think it's wonderful that everyone who speaks Welsh is by default bilingual by being able to speak English also - and nor am I a nationalist terrorist extremist or anything - but I think it's terrible that a language is spoken by less than a quarter of it's country's population. People should definately learn the language (even just the basics) even if they don't intend to live in Wales after going to university there - not really for the sake of convenience or necessity, but in order to promote the culture and nation.

It really p*sses me off when people say things like "Ooh, I don't need to learn Welsh because eveyrone speaks English" (nobody has said that here - this is not a *******ing! I'm encouraging you!), because that's entirely besides the point, as well as being a self-fulfilling prophecy. I long for the day when people in Wales will be learning English as a foreign language in order to speak it abroard, instead of by default to communicate with the 75% odd in their own country who don't speak Welsh. It really heartens me that everyone posting here seems to be enthusiastic about the idea - good on you all! You're a credit to your respective nations.

Oh dear, I've been ranting again. I thoroughly apologise!

Anyone who does start to learn, feel free to ask me for help any time you like and I would be happy to give it!
ames123
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Are you Welsh? In one of my modules last year we did about the Welsh language, kind of the history of it and who and how many speak it now etc.
Figaro123
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Of course My whole family speak it but my parents are learners from England; I speak Welsh with my dad but not my mum.

I don't know the exact figures, but I think at the moment it's something like 20-25% of the population. But that figure I think I may have just made up. Anyway, I know it's not much more than that.

The majority of Welsh *speakers* live in the south, but that's only because the population is a lot higher in the south - Cardiff has only something like 10% of its population speaking Welsh - the areas with the highest density of speakers are the north and west. Because bangor is one of the larger towns in the north I would have thought that the percentage won't be all that high, but there are some villages in some places with say 80-90% Welsh speakers.

Dammit, I'm ranting again - you really should stop me.
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Indeed, I lived in the South, and went to a Welsh speaking school, it was very Welsh. Up North there doesn't seem to be as much emphasis on it.
ames123
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think we were an English speaking school but had Welsh lessons each week. This was in North Wales.
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, we were banned from speaking English! I spoke a mixture at home depending on which family/friends I was speaking to.
magnad
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Apparently I'm not allowed to do it, because my course is already 120 credits and you aren't allowed to do more? THat's what Dani tells me.

What I would find very useful, is a pronounciation guide
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No, you can't do it as part of your course if you're credits are full but there is nothing stopping you taking extra lessons in it. A lot of people who learn Welsh at Bangor are not doing it for their degree.
CrazynLuvinLife
Report 12 years ago
I may take up the basics, just for the ability to tell my friends I've learnt Welsh. I'm just wary of doing it, because I may have enough work with my degree, work, social life, and keeping in touch with family and friends back home. I don't want to be biting off more than I can chew.

I just want to able to pronounce that long town name properly >.>
magnad
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sexysax)
No, you can't do it as part of your course if you're credits are full but there is nothing stopping you taking extra lessons in it. A lot of people who learn Welsh at Bangor are not doing it for their degree.
Oh I see, I must have misunderstood Dani. Perhaps I will look into it then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed