Edexcel Music A2, 18th June 2014 Watch

ellepotter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How did everyone/anyone find the exam? I thought the listening was difficult - particularly the notation - but the essays were relatively good.
Any thoughts?
trevorthewalnut
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree the notation was very hard as it was hard to gage when the violin started playing the melody wanted!! The composers were hard to guess - I guessed Handel instead of Sweelinck as I thought Sweelinck was more of an arranger than a composer (that's what it said on the Edexcel notes) and Purcell instead of Byrd which I think is wrong. And was it a concerto grosso or a string octet? I guessed string octet (damn!). Dates I think were ok and keys/chords were doable but still a bit hard in all honesty. Written section was mostly fine; I did Wagner and Haydn which was pretty good then the structure/tonality question for Bach (I guessed 5 ritornellos not 4 arrgghhh), Sweelinck which was fine, and the Schumann, which again was ok. Any other thoughts about the listening?
InsJ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree the notation on the listening was cruel, but at least it wasn't the worst that's appeared in the past.
As for what type of piece it was, I put a violin concerto (Probably wrong), as there was a solo violin, and it sounded to be more than 8 string instruments for an octet. Eh, I don't know, I have second thoughts about it now.

The essays weren't too bad, although a little disappointed 'Yellow Bird' didn't come up - solely because steel-pan music makes me feel so happy for some strange reason!

Hope everyone else did okay for this one.
ellepotter
Rep:
?
I found it hard to even discern when the notation section started! Agreed though - the rest was good. I said concerto grosso because of the harpsichord (there would be no harpsichord in a string octet? Not sure! )
For the comparison I wrote Byrd because I've sung some of his choral music and it seemed similar. The first piece was in latin and he was a tolerated Catholic in Protestant England so it seemed to fit.
I did Wagner then Haydn, which were good meaty questions. The Sweelink, Bach, and Schumann are among my favourite pieces so pleased about those. But my mind keeps dwelling on that awful dictation! I found it harder than any practice paper notation.
bingbob
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Glad everyone else seems to have found the dictation difficult! And yes, it is a shame Yellow Bird never came up :cry: Think I'm one of the only ones who did the Debussy/Webern/Duke Ellington question :eek: Hopefully the grade boundaries will all level out :ssaw:
trevorthewalnut
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I thought Purcell because he's English and the second extract was in English annoyingly (I know Byrd is as well!). Yeah the notation was awful- how did you get hold of previous past papers? Our teacher only gave us 2012 and 2013 past papers without the skeleton scores so that was helpful...
trevorthewalnut
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah and will the grade boundaries be any different from the standard 90% for an A*, 80% for an A etc?
ellepotter
Rep:
?
(Original post by trevorthewalnut)
Yeah I thought Purcell because he's English and the second extract was in English annoyingly (I know Byrd is as well!). Yeah the notation was awful- how did you get hold of previous past papers? Our teacher only gave us 2012 and 2013 past papers without the skeleton scores so that was helpful...
Luckily our teacher gave us a booklet of past papers and emailed the listening tracks to all of us. Quite honestly none of them prepared me for the one in the actual exam, annoyingly!

I don't know if people will want to know (what's done is done and all that), but I've found a couple of the pieces from the paper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GSo...ature=youtu.be Byrd's 'Christ Rising Again'
Handel's Concerto grosso, Op. 6 No. 10 (the section we were asked on was the third movement, about 5 minutes in) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SSbOOBD-sE
valdezes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! I was actually quite lucky with the listening, because sometimes I get really random interests in things and the weekend before the exam it was William Byrd, of all things, so I'd heard the pieces before and I (hope) think I did pretty well. I was so excited at that point haha, Christ Rises is one of my favourite songs...that said, if I did badly on it that'll be embarrassing! Everything else went quite well because I'd revised it all -and I was in the habit of writing 36 points rather than 18, which my teacher tells me is all I need to do for the compare and contrast...I did run out of time, though, so I'm slightly worried that I didn't get everything in

If anyone ends up retaking, I'd definitely recommend listening to the most famous musicians of your set works' era - Purcell always comes up, Gabrieli, Monteverdi, Byrd, Handel...

I also did the Debussy question, which was alright? Melody and rhythm is quite a good one for Webern, at least, and it was good to mention that Chopin thing for rhythm for Black and Tan...I did the Titanic question, too, which was good.

All would've been well if I hadn't like, missed one of the applied questions. I didn't do it. I didn't know I had to! I always mess up because I fail to read the questions properly, and it had to be on a 13 mark question...I reckon I would've lost about 7 marks on the paper all in all if it hadn't been for that, now it's teetering at around 20! I mean, I did a plan for about 5 points for another question because I thought I'd do the Wagner one at first...I hope the examiner has mercy...

I flunked out last year, especially in the AS music exam, which I literally failed. I've really worked hard since then and if my efforts go to waste because I missed a question I'll be really annoyed at myself. I needed this paper to hopefully get me a B...

Grade boundaries depend on how everyone does. Last year they were quite a blessing (although I still failed lol, still, it must've been a hard paper) - just CTRL F 'music' and you'll find the grade boundaries from last year. http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Docum...01306%20v4.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.75%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.64%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.63%
No, I am unable to (140)
23.1%
No, I chose not to (175)
28.88%