The Student Room Group

IB Acronym Glossary - Please help IB Community :)

Hello everyone!

Hope you're having a super summer time, not long now until your big day!

The TSR Community Team are busy working with Calllu-m and Buttercup26 to create helpful results day information ready for Sunday 6th July! What we thought would also be helpful is to create a glossary of IB terms and acronyms for new students and students considering starting IB in the Autumn. We need your help
:tongue:

The IB has so many acronyms that students need to navigate through. There are lots of subject specific ones, as well as the generic IB ones. Can you help?

We need help specifically with Maths, language ab initio, theatre, music, art and classical languages.

If anyone does Theatre, Visual Arts, or Music please can you help? We know they have lots of subject specific terms like PPP in Theatre, and Visual Arts Option A (but we have no clue what it means).

If former IB students who did Group 6 get in touch, we may be able to build a separate glossary based on the information you post.

Please post the IB acronyms you know and use below!

Let's do this team!!
:h:

PS check out our IB results chat thread

(edited 9 years ago)
Here we go:

IBDP - IB Diploma Programme
IBMYP - IB Middle Years Programme
IBPYP - IB Primary Years Programme
IA - Internal Assessment (coursework, basically)
TOK - Theory of Knowledge, a graded part of the IB core
CAS - Creativity, Action, and Service, a none graded part of the IB core
EE - Extended Essay, a graded part of the IB core.
HL - Higher Level. These are you more in-depth subjects, often these will make up part of your university offer, along with your total point score. For example, KCL ask 35 points with 766 at HL for History.
SL - Standard Level
ESS - Environmental Systems and Societies, an SL only trans-disciplinary (Group 3+4) subject.
Language A Literature Specific terms

IOC - Individual Oral Commentary, an oral analysis of a poem you have studied and a discussion of a play or novel. This is recorded and sent for moderation. Part of the internal assessment.
IOP - Individual Oral Presentation, an oral comparison of two texts you have studied. This is not recorded. Part of the internal assessment.
WL - World Literature Assignment. Also known as WIT (Works in Translation). A coursework essay analysing a text originally a foreign language translated to the target language.

Language B specific terms.

Individual Oral - A recorded oral on one of the "optional" topics you study. A dialogue between you and your teacher/language assistant. Sent for moderation.
Interactive Oral - A group oral between you and your class, that can take the form of a debate, discussion or a question and answer session. This is based on the "core" topics. Not recorded.
Written Assignment - for HL, this is based on the works of literature, and for SL, is based on one of the core(?) topics you have studied

History Specific

HI - Historical Investigation, your internal assessment (20% for HL, 25% for SL I think). An in-depth investigation of 2000 words on a period of history of your choice

Experimental Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, DT, ESS)

Group 4 Project - A inter-subject group project where the group made up of one or more of each science discipline chooses a project to explore from each angle of the sciences.
Design - The experiment design aspect of the IA lab reports.
DCP - Data Collection and Processing - a numerical/data aspect of the IA lab reports
CE - conclusion and evaluation. How well the student concludes and evaluates their lab report.
ooh I really like this , I'm planning to start IB in September and this is a brilliant post :smile:
Original post by Dandoona1998
ooh I really like this , I'm planning to start IB in September and this is a brilliant post :smile:

Oh brilliant - definitely keep an eye on this forum :smile:

What IB subjects are you hoping to choose?

Calllu-m
x

Wow! Nice work!

What do we still need help with?
Original post by She-Ra

Wow! Nice work!

What do we still need help with?

Maths, language ab initio, theatre, music, art. Classical languages but not many people do them :/
Original post by She-Ra

I've already chosen and sent my choices to the school , I'm going to be taking:
English Literature HL
Biology HL
chemistry HL
Maths SL
French Ab initio SL
Business and management SL .
I'm hoping to apply for medicine in the UK as an international student , but I feel my chances are low since there aren't any opportunities for work experience here :/ though I will give it my best shot :biggrin: .
Right, don't know how much help I'll be but lets give it a go.

Film Specific Terms:
Presentation: Similar to the IOP in English. Oral 15 presentation. Candidate chooses one film from a selection of 3 prescribed titles given to them by their teacher. Candidate then selects a five minute extract from their film and analyses it.

Production Portfolio: Write up based on a short film the student has made. It's 1750 Words for Higher and only 1500 Words for Standard (I think). This is meant to be a reflection of the student's job within their team, whether this be director, editor, cinematographer ect.

IS: Independent Study. A 15 page documentary script written by a student on a topic of their choosing. This can be film movements, genres and pretty much anything within reason. The amount of pages is less for Standard level students.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending