A2 English Language AQA coursework ideas?

Watch
FatFace817
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm just starting A2 and we have to think of ideas for what we might want to write about for our coursework. We basically just have to investigate language.. we can do pretty much anything but I am struggling to think of ideas.
I was thinking about comparing the language used by British comedians with that of American comedians? I was also interested at looking at race stereotypes...so I could choose for instance Kevin Hart and Jason Manford?
I dunno, any ideas??
RMT
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I remember the trouble I had coming up with an idea for my coursework this year! It took me ages to finally decide on what I was doing. I think the comparison of the two comedians is a good idea. My question was: "do language features vary with age in women in the workplace?" because I had access to recordings from my mums work. It was a really good investigation and I got a high A on it. My boyfriend did the difference in language to create humour between The Office US and The Office UK which was a pretty good investigation but it can be difficult to write about at times as he had to focus also on the different techniques to create humour. You could have the same problem with the comedians.
Other ideas:
How the language towards step-mothers in books has changed over time.
The differences in magazines aimed at men and women.
The differences in adverts aimed at men and women or boys and girls.
How power is portrayed through political speeches.

That's all I can think of right now. If you need any more help don't hesitate to pm me
multifarious
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I've also just started the A2 coursework. I had an idea that my teacher absolutely hated, and now I don't know what I'm doing. He basically dismissed anything to do with the area that I'm interested in (the development of English, like from Old English, Middle English etc). I don't know whether I should continue with my idea, or drop it because ultimately he will be marking it.
My idea was investigating place names and seeing the similarities between folk etymology and the actual toponymy of them.
My second idea is looking at an authors work and linking names to their origins (like in Harry Potter loads of the words have roots in language, particularly Latin).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads