The Student Room Group

Just turned 24, worried, and wanting to change

Hi everyone.

Firstly a little about me. I have just turned 24. I left school at 16 with 7 GCSE's (4 C's and 3 B's) and began working on construction sites as a labourer. My job ended in late 2012 and since then I've done nothing (had money to fall back so managed ok plus live with parents).

I completely got into a rut and became demotivated, rejected for various job applications and so on. Now I have just been accepted to college/tech for a 2 year full-time level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in IT. As I am 24 I won't be entitled to EMA? I wouldn't want to take a loan which needs repaid but can support myself ok for the next two years.

If all goes to plan and I pass I'd like to go to University to study Computer Science but just curious, is an extended diploma fine to apply with? (obviously as long as grades are good and reach entry requirements).

Also with my parents income less than £19,000 will I still be entitled to grants to cover my 3-4 years at Uni. My savings will only cover my expenses for the next two years so couldn't afford to pay fees plus accomodation plus living expenses (food etc).

I'll definitely be working hard and striving to complete the course but just a little scared at the thought of wasting the next 2-6 years and being 30 with no job. There are lots of jobs in the IT sector but it's just the thought of being seen as too old by an employer?

Though i did flick through the forum and see there are lots of people in my situation and at Uni at 30 and so on so perhaps I'm just worrying for nothing.

Cheers, and advice much appreciated :smile:
You can get into university for IT courses with the BTEC. Check out entry requirements on university websites for the degree you are interested in to confirm, as requirements will vary quite a bit.

EMA doesn't exist anymore.

As you will be 25+ when you go to university, your parents' income won't be taken into account for student loan/grant purposes. If you don't have any other source of income, you will be entitled to the full rate.
Reply 2
Yes the IT sector is very good in terms of Job availability!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Schadenfreude65
You can get into university for IT courses with the BTEC. Check out entry requirements on university websites for the degree you are interested in to confirm, as requirements will vary quite a bit.

EMA doesn't exist anymore.

As you will be 25+ when you go to university, your parents' income won't be taken into account for student loan/grant purposes. If you don't have any other source of income, you will be entitled to the full rate.

It's Uni I am most concerned about, I know it is 2 years away but I like knowing my options/planning.

I'm from Northern Ireland so would probably be Queens I would try to get accepted to (£3600ish fees per year, whereas if i went to scotland/england it is £9,000 per year is that right?). I'd want the least amount to repay as possible, and understand it's repaid at the moment when earning £16,500+ at 9% of your income per year?

Also accomodation at Uni is the only other concern i have. Would i get a grant for this for all 4 years as well as my course fees paid for? Plus then expenses to live for food etc?

Also would my age (I'd be 26 then) factor into these costs/loans and the amounts i'd get? Zero other income or savings at this point.

Thanks folks, IT is definitely the path for me and something I've always been interested in. I just want to know all my options for direction.
(edited 9 years ago)
Queen's do accept the BTEC, so that's promising. The finance situation might be different for Northern Ireland than it is for England. Take a look at www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/ to see what you may be eligible for. You are correct about the £9000 fees in England, though I'm not sure about Scotland. Queen's sounds like a better bet for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending