The Student Room Group

How are A Levels graded/weighted?

Here's an example

Let's say Unit 1 of a paper adds up to 60 marks, and Unit 2 adds up to 60 marks.

60+60=120 80% of 120 = 96 Does that mean anything > 96 = A?

Or alternatively would they do:

Unit 1: 80% of 60 = 48 and Unit 2: 80% of 60=48
Say someone gets a B in one and an A in the other would they be combined to = A or a B?

I know the 2nd description is less clear... but ever since the conclusion of my exams they have literally been ALL I can think about.

ps. Please say the first description was correct :smile:
Reply 1
Not entirely sure what you`re saying, but I think you`re looking for this. The exam boards set grade boundaries, and then grades are given according to them:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF

But thats just for AQA, different boards would have different boundaries :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by IrishBoyInLondon
Here's an example

Let's say Unit 1 of a paper adds up to 60 marks, and Unit 2 adds up to 60 marks.

60+60=120 80% of 120 = 96 Does that mean anything > 96 = A?

Or alternatively would they do:

Unit 1: 80% of 60 = 48 and Unit 2: 80% of 60=48
Say someone gets a B in one and an A in the other would they be combined to = A or a B?

I know the 2nd description is less clear... but ever since the conclusion of my exams they have literally been ALL I can think about.

ps. Please say the first description was correct :smile:

Grades are a bit of a red herring, you need to concentrate on the marks. Raw marks on a paper are converted to UMS by a conversion that varies every exam season to take into account how people have performed and get the right spread of final marks.

All 4 unit A levels are out of 400 UMS and 6 unit A levels are out of 600UMS. The weighting of different units is fixed but not always the same, e.g.- maths units (all exam boards) all contribute 100UMS but, for instance, OCR Biology has papers that contribute 90, 150, 60, 90, 150 and 60 UMS (=600). The UMS grade boundaries are always the same, 80% or more for an A, 70-79.9 for a B etc. To work out the overall grade just add the marks together and see what % that makes.

Quick Reply

Latest