Golf MK5 1.6 SE Watch

Sync
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hello,

My Dad's just changed jobs and now no longer needs to do long motorway journeys - hence he's selling his Merc S600 and wants to get something more frugal for short trips to the shops and around town, etc.

Been looking at a MK5 Golf 1.6 SE and test driving it tomorrow. Has to be an automatic (as neither of my parents have driven manuals for ~20 years!). So, does anyone have any advice on this engine/gearbox setup, and are there any major issues to be aware of with these cars? This will not be our primary car, so mileage is likely to be less than 10K a year. Performance is not too much of an issue either - the car will only really be driven in and around town. Also, have VW done any updates to spec/trim/engines since the MK5 was released?

Thanks in advance.
davemarkey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't know much about the mk5 but have a look at the mk5 section of uk-mkivs.net website.
Sync
Rep:
?
Thanks for the tip - am looking through their forums now...
Sync
Rep:
?
Well, it's now ordered. Engine is good enough for town use (wouldn't like to do much motorway driving with it though) and the car on the whole is very nice and seems solidly built. Now to sell the S600!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.81%
Pro-humanity (168)
54.19%

Watched Threads