The Student Room Group

GCSE's

So basically I chose options in year 9 and I don't know if they are good or not

I picked Double science, ICT, French, Textiles and geography. Please tell me if you found them easy or not:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey! I picked nearly enough the same options. I picked double science, French, geography, business and ICT. They are quite easy on the exam boards but the exam boards are nearly enough the same. I struggled at science first I got E's but now I'm getting C's. In French it's basically coursework all year so all the knowledge you have is key but remember your grammar and tense skills. Geography is my best lesson I really enjoy it - some of it is basic knowledge like in science. Science is coursework which is basically easy but the exam prep is really hard . If you want any more advise let me know!!!
Reply 2
So what do you do in double science and how does it work please
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by AmazingLy
So what do you do in double science and how does it work please
Posted from TSR Mobile

As it is Double you will sit Core and Additional calculating up 6 GCSE exams.

Core

Biology 1 - 20%
Chemistry 1 - 20%
Physics 1 - 20%
ISA (Experiment) - 20%

Additional

Biology 2 - 20%
Chemistry 2 - 20%
Physics 2 - 20%
ISA - 20%

As you are starting the course I suggest to use this website this literally took me from a D GCSE level to an A GCSE level in the space of a year.

Remember Core and Additional are two different GCSE's therefore if you pass both you will get 2 GCSE grades.

http://www.my-gcsescience.com/
Reply 4
Thank you and hopefully that website will help me alot:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Geography - Start revision early! There are just a loads of case studies. I started earlier and i was really relaxed about the exam because i knew all the case studies. A lot of people tried to cram in all the case studies in a week :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah I go to extra tuition classes because my parents are strict when it comes to education:lolwut: but I revise with my older sister who just finished her GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmazingLy
So basically I chosey options in year 9 and I don't know if they are good or not

I picked Double science, ICT, French, Textiles and geography. Please tell me if you found them easy or not:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only you can say if they're good or not as it will be dependent on your performance in those subjects, how good you are at those subjects etc

Do you know what exam boards you're on for those subjects? :smile: I do ICT and I hate it, with a passion and I know many others who hate it too but know a few who have liked it :h: My friend does French and she says its quite easy :smile: If you even need help on French, pop into the Year 11 thread (well it will be Year 12 in September) there are a few who have done French I believe and they love languages :tongue: Geography (for edexcel) the grade boundaries are unfair i think, what you'd expect a A* to be is and A and so on.. I don't do textiles of double science but I think I can tell you about your double science if you t me know your exam board :smile:
Reply 8
My exam board is AQA
Reply 9
I do Aqa double science I find that the chemistry a physics is quite hard but biology is alright. The exam is quite straight forward basically questions but there are some long answer question. It's a nice exam if that's possible. I haven't done my ISA yet but my friend the set above mine got an A and she hates science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some advice for geography, revise throughout year 10 and 11. i know it sounds like a drag, but trust me, with the amount you need to learn if you dont revise in year 10 (like i didnt) you would wish you did when you have to cram throughout the WHOLE of year 11 for the exam like i had to this year.
Reply 11
I was forced to pick French in Y11, having never studied it and so far, my coursework is A* and I hope I did well in the exams. French is good, just work on it, seriously, not as hard as it seems.

I also did triple science, its another subject which can be done, just be sure to learn it, and learn about the ways it is applied.

Quick Reply

Latest