The Student Room Group

Any ideas on how to make 10 grand by next April?

Obviously the answer is to work. Which is what this question revolves around.

I want to knuckle down, work full time and just barrel through the next 10 months, so in theory I would pick the first full time job that comes to hand. The problem is that I have slight social anxiety.. stuff like bar work, catering and shop assistant would end in a mess. Those were bad enough doing part time.

All i'm looking at is a minimum wage, unqualified full time type job.. No faffing about, just hands on practical work.

As an example, jobs which sound brilliant might be.. Conservation or farm work. But they are hard to come by and the latter is mainly volunteering.

This would only be full-time (for 10 months). Any ideas on type of work that might suit me?
Reply 1
Original post by Swifton
Obviously the answer is to work. Which is what this question revolves around.

I want to knuckle down, work full time and just barrel through the next 10 months, so in theory I would pick the first full time job that comes to hand. The problem is that I have slight social anxiety.. stuff like bar work, catering and shop assistant would end in a mess. Those were bad enough doing part time.

All i'm looking at is a minimum wage, unqualified full time type job.. No faffing about, just hands on practical work.

As an example, jobs which sound brilliant might be.. Conservation or farm work. But they are hard to come by and the latter is mainly volunteering.

This would only be full-time (for 10 months). Any ideas on type of work that might suit me?

It doesn't seem likely that you'll get something which involves no interactions with people. Not that I want to come across as a sort of 'get over it' type of person, but you may have to.

Otherwise, I assume social anxiety isn't as bad once you get used to the people/environment? Therefore, kitchen/cleaning work could be a decent compromise - it'll be difficult at first while you get to know people but once you do hopefully you'll be comfortable (and if you do settle in it'll build your confidence!)

The other option is sort of factory/warehousing/packing type jobs. Cleaning may also work, but idk if you can really get that type of job full time...
If you've got between now and April you really need to step on it fast and get a job ASAP. If you had a job by the start of July and worked 40 hours per week at a wage of £5 per hour, you'd have £10960 by 1st of April 2015.
Reply 2
Original post by Basilla
It doesn't seem likely that you'll get something which involves no interactions with people. Not that I want to come across as a sort of 'get over it' type of person, but you may have to.

Otherwise, I assume social anxiety isn't as bad once you get used to the people/environment? Therefore, kitchen/cleaning work could be a decent compromise - it'll be difficult at first while you get to know people but once you do hopefully you'll be comfortable (and if you do settle in it'll build your confidence!)

The other option is sort of factory/warehousing/packing type jobs. Cleaning may also work, but idk if you can really get that type of job full time...
If you've got between now and April you really need to step on it fast and get a job ASAP. If you had a job by the start of July and worked 40 hours per week at a wage of £5 per hour, you'd have £10960 by 1st of April 2015.

You are right, I do need to get over it :wink:. Not gonna lie, it was my fault - just a matter of easing back, but I know if I take a job which requires 24/7 interaction it will destroy my confidence.

Seen a few warehouse jobs going, definitely getting on there cases!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending