The Student Room Group

Someone got 2Us and a E , should they retake or leave?

Someone at college got 2 Us and one E
they dont know want to do , they dont want to leave but dont want to resit another year , ~
is it possible for them to resit exams in Jan and at same time carry on with there A2 course ,
has any body heard this happen and if so has it worked ok?
this person will be happy with Ds they say so not like they want to go Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

This person isn't you by any chance is it?

In seriousness, if this person signs up for January and June resits then he/she can simultaneously do both AS and A2, providing the work rate is pushed up. That means getting your head down much earlier (i.e a month before exams etc) and learning the stuff as you come across it. I had to resit the entirety of exams in my A2 and now I'm sitting steady with AAB, whereas this time last year I was DEU.

A helpful tip is to develop a 'love' for one or more of the subjects you do, and just do that in every spare time you get. After getting a U in maths in AS, I was doing work from the maths book in my spare time in front of the TV and just doing it over and over again, and sooner or later when you find yourself doing well in school, you develop this liking for the subject. Therefore when exam time comes, it's like you only have 2 A-levels to study for, because you already know the maths unit inside out. It might be a stupid tip, as people might tell that you can just work on ALL of your subjects rather than selecting one, but I'm just saying this because it worked for me and I never considered myself to be gifted at maths; it is all through hard work.

Just tell this person that the more work they do now, the easier it becomes. That means working through the weekends, and even during the Christmas holidays, even if you do tell yourself to do 4 hours in the morning then relax for the entire day, which is better than alienating the subject entirely.

Long post, but I was in the same boat at one point.
Reply 2
You can resit AS exams whilst doing A2. It's not a problem, but it will take alot of effort.
It depends on your college policy. Some will say you need to have passed AS before you can do A2, in which case, they could only carry on with the subject they got an E in. If they allow people who failed AS to continue, as my school did, they could carry on to A2 and do resits in January to try to improve their grades, but it would take a lot of hard work.
Reply 4
yeah the guy was me lol
i didnt really take AS as i should of , i thought i was gonna do great lol
thing is my 3 other people i know got same and they think they can re sit
Reply 5
Thorpe
yeah the guy was me lol

ROFL!!!!!

Thorpe
i didnt really take AS as i should of , i thought i was gonna do great lol
thing is my 3 other people i know got same and they think they can re sit

Go get a job mate. While they are re-sitting, you will be in the thousands of pounds ahead of them. You would be 7k richer.

Also with the 7k, save it up. Live with your parents so you dont have to spend it. And use it for a self employment. Open up an Internet café. With the 7k you will pay for all the comps (around 20 of em) and the rent, aswell as heating, electricity, ect.

Even if your friends get good acceptional A-level grades. They will never catch up with you. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Im my college, we are repeatedly told the we need 2 E's at AS to continue to A2, and not to come back if we get less (they expect it to apply to a lot of students)
Reply 7
angelfire did you take all your AS exams again ?
Reply 8
:rofl: Why didn't you just say it was you?

How about starting A Levels again? Choose subjects you know you will enjoy and work hard at. It would be possible for you to self teach your ASs between now and January whilst doing your A2s.

What career plans do you have?
Yeah Thorpe I redid 7 exams in total from AS-level in my A2 year in order to boost up my grades considerably. In fact, I also had the same mentality as you in that I thought I would do excellently with very little effort, seeing as the GCSEs were revised for in under a couple of days. However, A-levels really do teach you skills, such as the skill of never underestimating anything.

Now that the train of thought is going, A-levels can prepare you for the amount of work that is going to be coming up in university (if you take a good course), but why the hell can't GCSEs prepare you for A-level?
Reply 10
was 7 the limit or did you just want to do 7 ?
Reply 11
i mean 7 resits sorry
After sort of sifting through everything and calculating how many extra marks I'd need to pick up in order to reach my overall targets, I decided 7 would be enough. How important resits/AS are can't be stressed enough.

Eg. After getting high As in my physics resits, that allowed me to get ABC in this years modules and still pull out of A2 with a decent A.

Retaking is all fine and dandy but all you have to prepare yourself for is a lot of extra work during relatively quiet non-exam periods.
Reply 13
angelfire1987
After sort of sifting through everything and calculating how many extra marks I'd need to pick up in order to reach my overall targets, I decided 7 would be enough. How important resits/AS are can't be stressed enough.

Eg. After getting high As in my physics resits, that allowed me to get ABC in this years modules and still pull out of A2 with a decent A.

Retaking is all fine and dandy but all you have to prepare yourself for is a lot of extra work during relatively quiet non-exam periods.

I got a D in AS physics this year and I felt gutted. I wanted to at least achieve a B and after reading what you have done, I am going to retake both the Physics exams. What exam board is your Physics on?
Reply 14
i am in a similar situation but i got all E's instead which i'm not proud of as i was expecting alot higher. i blame my sixth form because the whole year , not one got an A in any subject, most of the year got c's,d's and u's. I have took advice and now trying to apply to a different sixth form. I still have the option to resit all AS's in January, but come on A2 is hard enough along with AS in January.

My school was f**k*d up, first we only completed c1 s1 in maths and sat c2 without no knowledge,bad timing. and in english we studied mainly part 1 of a book and part 2 question came up in exam.

I have to be honest and admit i can't do it even if i try my best if i had to resit all in January. Now hopefully apply elsewhere and start AS again and i will have known the basics and 1 year's worth going over.

So it's best asking youself and being honest, can you get better grades along with A2? and if so can you do it ALL in one year. I know i will struggle as A2 is hard enough.
Reply 15
you failed your AS but dont want to retake a year but dont want to leave?
so you want to continue your failed AS to A2.

speechless.
Retake a year.
Reply 16
imy cousin who got all A and B in GCSE , got E E U U aswell
he goesto a 6 form which is harder to get into
im thinking of resitting 8 AS exams in Janaury and between now and then im gonna try hardest to revise for them
After Jan ill try and catch up with all the stuff i missed (C3, Unit 3 )
Thorpe
im thinking of resitting 8 AS exams in Janaury and between now and then im gonna try hardest to revise for them

I'm really not sure if I'd advise that - the workload would be immense. I had trouble coping with 4 resits.
bilal_786
I got a D in AS physics this year and I felt gutted. I wanted to at least achieve a B and after reading what you have done, I am going to retake both the Physics exams. What exam board is your Physics on?

It's on OCR mate. I went from a D to an A after resitting three AS physics exams and really pushing in A2. Therefore, it IS possible but it needs a lot of work on your behalf. Essentially you will then be doing a 2 year course in one year.

Tough but possible, and I'm living proof of that. I still remember my mates trying to talk me out of it but as long as you tell yourself you can do it, nothing can stop you.

Just remember me when you're famous for getting straight As... :p:
Thorpe

A2 will be even harder though, especially if you might have struggled at AS so you might run out of time and totally crash and burn.

You could, really leave all of the core maths at least until june, C1 becomes easier after C2 etc etc. Or maybe just do C1 only.

Latest