The Student Room Group

St Andrews phys/chem

Hello! I'm a pupil in a school in Scotland who's just started the advanced higher year.
My ambition is to study physics and chemistry as a joint honours at St Andrews (the only uni with this option in Scotland- can't afford England).
I don't know whether to apply FOR the joint honours or to apply for one course as a single honours and work towards being accepted to do the joint honours after first year.

I have spoken to admissions staff at both the chemistry and physics department at the uni which still left me undecided.
My thinking is that if I apply for the joint honours my PS will be weaker from the view of other unis where I'll have to decide on one course- either physics or chemistry- to do my degree in.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Thanks.
Reply 1
While it's true that St Andrews is the only Scottish uni that offers Physics and Chemistry as a true joint honours course, you do have other options: Edinburgh, Glasgow and Heriot Watt all offer degrees in Chemical Physics which, as far as I know, are nearly the same thing. Aberdeen also offers "with" degrees in those subjects (a 75/25 split either way.)

While I can't comment on much for Chemistry but for Physics, your personal statement counts for less than most other subjects but then St Andrews is known for being ridiculously harsh towards Scottish applicants for Physics so you should probably give yourself every advantage you can get.
Reply 2
Tying physics into chemistry isn't too bad, but the other way I reckon is going to disadvantage you. A third of the standard chemistry courses focus on physical chemistry which is completely underpinned by physics.

As above, I don't think the personal statement is entirely the key (and I echo the chemical physics recommendation). As they're quite heavy courses they tend to worry most about whether you'll cope and succeed, but obviously interest is key to that too. It's very difficult to say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending