Chem question, help would be appreciated.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Explain in terms of properties of the substances found in bauxite why the addition of 10% sodium hydroxide solution is used to seperate the aluminum compund from the impurities? (3)

I know the impurities are iron (3) oxide and silicon dioxide, and aluminum compund is AL203.

Any ideas.
(sorry to anyone that cares that this is in the wrong forum, no responses there or here it seems)
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
rep to an answer (reasonable answer)
zazy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
rep to an answer (reasonable answer)
Isn't it to do with the reactivity series and the fact that sodium is more reactive than Al and displacement occurs...Just a thought..
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
(Original post by zazy)
Isn't it to do with the reactivity series and the fact that sodium is more reactive than Al and displacement occurs...Just a thought..
possibly, don't really understand how that wud work though

EDit: After some thought i think u r right. (to do with the amphoteric properties of al203 and iron oxide being residued out)

cheers
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Explain in terms of properties of the substances found in bauxite why the addition of 10% sodium hydroxide solution is used to seperate the aluminum compund from the impurities? (3)

I know the impurities are iron (3) oxide and silicon dioxide, and aluminum compund is AL203.

Any ideas.
(sorry to anyone that cares that this is in the wrong forum, no responses there or here it seems)
all i have in my notes is that the aluminium oxide is purified by reacting it with the sodium hydroxide and then heating it.

from my own knowledge
sodium hydroxide will displace iron in iron oxide.
but im not sure how that reaction would help you
what board is this for?
hornblower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Any ideas.
The sodium hydroxide doesn't react with the iron oxide because it is a base, and silicon dioxide doesn't react because of its giant atomic structure. These solids can be filtered off.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (102)
48.57%
Take exams next summer (31)
14.76%
Change uni choice through clearing (52)
24.76%
Apply to uni next year instead (19)
9.05%
I'm not applying to university (6)
2.86%

Watched Threads