Turn on thread page Beta

Chem question, help would be appreciated. watch

ReputationRep:
    Explain in terms of properties of the substances found in bauxite why the addition of 10% sodium hydroxide solution is used to seperate the aluminum compund from the impurities? (3)

I know the impurities are iron (3) oxide and silicon dioxide, and aluminum compund is AL203.

Any ideas.
    (sorry to anyone that cares that this is in the wrong forum, no responses there or here it seems)

ReputationRep:
    rep to an answer (reasonable answer)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    rep to an answer (reasonable answer)
    Isn't it to do with the reactivity series and the fact that sodium is more reactive than Al and displacement occurs...Just a thought..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Isn't it to do with the reactivity series and the fact that sodium is more reactive than Al and displacement occurs...Just a thought..
    possibly, don't really understand how that wud work though

EDit: After some thought i think u r right. (to do with the amphoteric properties of al203 and iron oxide being residued out)

cheers

ReputationRep:
    Explain in terms of properties of the substances found in bauxite why the addition of 10% sodium hydroxide solution is used to seperate the aluminum compund from the impurities? (3)

I know the impurities are iron (3) oxide and silicon dioxide, and aluminum compund is AL203.

Any ideas.
    (sorry to anyone that cares that this is in the wrong forum, no responses there or here it seems)
    all i have in my notes is that the aluminium oxide is purified by reacting it with the sodium hydroxide and then heating it.

from my own knowledge
    sodium hydroxide will displace iron in iron oxide.
    but im not sure how that reaction would help you
    what board is this for?

ReputationRep:

Any ideas.
    The sodium hydroxide doesn't react with the iron oxide because it is a base, and silicon dioxide doesn't react because of its giant atomic structure. These solids can be filtered off.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.