General Biology Book for prospective medical students

Watch
itsallokay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi there,

I have just finished my exams in year 12 and just need some recommendations for a general biology book which will help for interview prep but also better my understanding of the body.

Thanks,
itsallokay
Rep:
?
bump
Ceiti
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lakhani's basic pathology is a pretty decent intro to the mechanisms of disease including immunology, cancer and cardiovascular disease, lots of diagrams and cartoons too. Although most medical schools will insist on you learning the normal before the abnormal so would also recommend getting hold of an anatomy and/or physiology book. Anatomy books generally come as systemic based or regions based, there are some good review books like the Crash Course or Flesh and Bones ones for a more general overview. Teach Yourself Anatomy and Physiology has a good intro to both and some basic biochem also a nice sensible size for reading on trains. Rang and Dale's Pharmacology or a proper biochem book is also good to have a look at just to see some of the detail that you'll be expected to learn. Hope that helps and good luck with your exam results!
itsallokay
Rep:
?
bump
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't buy any expensive medical textbooks - you don't know which ones will be recommended at whichever university you get into, and they're not light reading! You'd make better use of your time reading up about the NHS/life as a junior doctor etc rather than trying to cram extra biology. Maybe try some popular science-type books - this one is quite a good read and should be understandable for someone at your level.

Have a look at the TSR wiki for some more suggestions http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...me_other_books
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oxygen by Nick Lane - recommendation from me Or Power, Sex, Suicide by Nick Lane.

You won't learn much about the body from them but they are super fascinating and you could probably legitimately throw them up in an interview. The Oxygen one especially is super interesting ...more so than its title suggests... anyway, virtually everybody will be reading that Oliver Sachs thing about a man thinking his wife is a hat (which actually is LESS interesting than its title suggests), so you can be different and read something else!

I used a Physiology textbook by Pocock and Richards to learn most basic anatomy/physiology, but like the above person said, go with whatever the medical school requires. And reading a textbook may be enlightening on the nature of physiology (that book explains stuff really clearly) but it's very boring. Nobody is going to ask you about that stuff in an interview, but you might be able to slip in some more 'light' reading. We had to buy these god-awful anatomy books for my course because they were written by one of our lecturers and if you didn't buy them, you didn't have a hope in hell of passing his exam questions which were (in my opinion) fiendishly difficult... so yeah wait a bit and make sure you buy the 'best' ones for your course!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads