The Student Room Group

Edexcel D2 24th June 2014

Couldn't find a thread for this so thought I would start one, how's everyone finding it? I'm struggling with the network flows, just can't get my head round them :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ceb84
Couldn't find a thread for this so thought I would start one, how's everyone finding it? I'm struggling with the network flows, just can't get my head round them :/

Same over here, think I should be fine apart from this whole max flow business
Reply 2
Original post by DimX
Same over here, think I should be fine apart from this whole max flow business

I've only started revising for it properly today as I've had exams up till yesterday and finding it alright apart from those flows! Are you doing S2 at the same time or just D2?
I'm feeling fine about it mostly. I've got S2 as well so that'll be a fun morning.

With flows, does anyone know if we're supposed to show the flow augmenting routes on the diagram? When you reduce forward arrows and increase backward arrows?

In the mark schemes they always just write the flow augmenting path, say SACDET, and the value, say 2.

Also, I'm generally okay with Dynamic Programming but the 2013 01R paper was nasty. Something about Carrots being Frozen or Canned and I still don't understand it now.
Reply 4
Original post by Republic1
I'm feeling fine about it mostly. I've got S2 as well so that'll be a fun morning.

With flows, does anyone know if we're supposed to show the flow augmenting routes on the diagram? When you reduce forward arrows and increase backward arrows?

In the mark schemes they always just write the flow augmenting path, say SACDET, and the value, say 2.

Also, I'm generally okay with Dynamic Programming but the 2013 01R paper was nasty. Something about Carrots being Frozen or Canned and I still don't understand it now.

I've got S2 as well :/

I don't think you have to show it as it doesn't mention in the mark scheme but I would find it difficult to do if I didn't write it down as I go, more likely to make mistakes if you don't show it I think

Same here, I actually quite like dynamic programming but I'm doing the june 2013 paper now and finding it difficult to understand the context and what we're actually supposed to do, hoping our paper is quite a straightforward one!
Original post by ceb84
I've got S2 as well :/

I don't think you have to show it as it doesn't mention in the mark scheme but I would find it difficult to do if I didn't write it down as I go, more likely to make mistakes if you don't show it I think

Same here, I actually quite like dynamic programming but I'm doing the june 2013 paper now and finding it difficult to understand the context and what we're actually supposed to do, hoping our paper is quite a straightforward one!

Can you explain the dynamic programming question (June 12) to me? I can't do it at all :/
Reply 6
Original post by vinnie1234
Can you explain the dynamic programming question (June 12) to me? I can't do it at all :/

Have you got the D2 textbook? It's basically the same as example 8 :smile: if you haven't then I'll give it a go talking you through it but I'm not very good at explaining things haha
Reply 7
What would you say are the hardest bits/question types of D2? (I've just started learning this so want to know what I need to allocate most time to between now and Tuesday).

I'm also doing S2. :smile:

Also, what of D1 do we need to know for D2? (I did D1 two and a half years ago so don't really remember it!) :/
Original post by ceb84
Have you got the D2 textbook? It's basically the same as example 8 :smile: if you haven't then I'll give it a go talking you through it but I'm not very good at explaining things haha

Yeah i got one, I'm gonna try the example first, can i ask you for help if I'm stuck? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by vinnie1234
Yeah i got one, I'm gonna try the example first, can i ask you for help if I'm stuck? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah sure!
Reply 10
Original post by Claree
What would you say are the hardest bits/question types of D2? (I've just started learning this so want to know what I need to allocate most time to between now and Tuesday).

I'm also doing S2. :smile:

Also, what of D1 do we need to know for D2? (I did D1 two and a half years ago so don't really remember it!) :/

I personally find flows the hardest but it can take a while to get your head round dynamic programming!
From D1 it's best to go over primms algorithm as that does come up in D2 :smile:
Reply 11
Thank God I found my D2 Brothers, I've just started revising. Don't Judge me, I was revising S2 and M2. Does anyone know a website with videos explaining D2, a version like exam solutions. I've looked on exam solutions but he isn't about the D2 life.
Reply 12
Original post by Ash1994
Thank God I found my D2 Brothers, I've just started revising. Don't Judge me, I was revising S2 and M2. Does anyone know a website with videos explaining D2, a version like exam solutions. I've looked on exam solutions but he isn't about the D2 life.

You have some revision videos on this website:
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/?section=students&page=edexcel-revision
Hope they help :smile:
Reply 13
Thank you sooooo much! These videos are actually so amazing! Good luck on your upcoming exams! We'll gossip about the paper after the exam :cool:
Reply 14
anyone else noticed Agent Goodie and Evil Doctor Fiendish popping up on different papers?! Hope they're on ours!
What did everyone think of today's paper?
Original post by Rob_bentley96
What did everyone think of today's paper?

Mostly okay....apart from that dynamic programming question at the end...there goes 14 marks :')
Original post by thedreamer1996
Mostly okay....apart from that dynamic programming question at the end...there goes 14 marks :')

I thought the paper couldn't have been better! The linear programming with transportation was nice!
Reply 18
Original post by Rob_bentley96
I thought the paper couldn't have been better! The linear programming with transportation was nice!

Same! :tongue:

I did most the paper in pencil, will that matter? Basically all the tables e.g. Q1, Q7 and all the diagrams. :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Claree
Same! :tongue:

I did most the paper in pencil, will that matter? Basically all the tables e.g. Q1, Q7 and all the diagrams. :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as it wasn't really faint, you ought to be OK

Quick Reply

Latest