Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here stayed in any catered accomodation at manc, in particular Owens Park? If so, do these places tend to be full or are there usually rooms going spare?

Just asking because it seems that the uni are trying to force people to take up residence at these places because it means increased revenue for the uni.

The accomodation email states that "we advise that in order to assist with offering you a preferred residence that not all your three accomodation preferences be of one type of accomodation (e.g., self catering, en suite) or all in one location.

So for this reason i put Owens Park as 3rd choice even though im desperate to have self-catered. My first two, Oak House and Richmond were both self-catered so its quite obvious that thats what i prefer. Plus, Oak House wasnt full last year and i was told on a visit that if i put it as first choice i would "definitely get in", yet i end up being offered Owens Park.

ReputationRep:
    Haha. Your choices were identical to mine and I feel exactly the same way.

I wanted to be in Fallowfield so I had 1) Richmond 2) Oak House and then I thought I might as well have Owens Park as my third for the heck of it.

I just wanted the independance of being self catered plus I'm sure I could have saved money.

ReputationRep:
    I had oak house first but yeh, having richmond 2nd was pretty pointless since its high demand. Anyway gonna make lots of calls on monday, to oak house itself and to my department etc. Will let you know how i get on.

ReputationRep:
    Lol exactly the same with me, I got Owens Park - Tree Court.

Nevermind, at least on those hungover days, you can wake up and know you have a meal waiting for you. However I do agree, price of catered is a bit of an issue.

ReputationRep:
    same, was my 3rd choice to richmond and oak. How do we know if our room has ethernet in it? I specified that i required it, does that mean i've definately got it?

ReputationRep:
    samw happened here, i assumed id get into oak house and ended up with OP tower!now i cant deciede if i want to stay where i am or try and move to Oak House.let me know on monday if u hav any luck.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed the accommodation office on their general enquiries address, I'm happy with the room I have but I wanted to check what the numbers actually meant TH.01.25.B etc, and if I had ethernet connection because I specified I wanted it.

So we'll see what they say when they email back...soon hopefully because I've got to send off the documents and such

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.