Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have an unconditional offer from UoG, I have registerd in websurf and I have received a letter with the date of my meeting with student adviser. So far so good but from this moment the problems have started to arise. Namely, I am not able to attend this meeting. I have called the faculty of Social Sciences and informed them about this and instead of arranging a new meeting with my adviser, they suggested going to the group advising session and later on meeting the adviser only in order to approve my courses. This group advising session is held on the 12th of September ( I will be on holiday from the 14th to 23rd of Septmber). Is it a typical procedure? Is it possible to rearrange meeting only with my adviser instead of going on a group meeting ( I have a great deal of questions which I would like to ask)? Moreover, are there any other things (despite the registretation) which may cause any problems? As I am working it would be really great if I could deal both with the group advising session and with the approval of my courses in one day. Do you think it is possible? Moreover is there any official opening of the year? If so when is it and is the attendance obligatory? How does the begining of the year look like - I simply come to my lectures on the 26th, or do I have to enroll on my classes somewhere? And last but not least how do I sign in for the tutorials and when do I to do this? I am really confused and I kind of don't know what to do: go on my holiday, change the date of my holiday or not to go on it at all. Furthermore, I have got a really fulfilling job which I wouldn't like to loose and I am aware that if I go on holiday and take too many days off because of the procedures which I have to pass my boss may be considering doing so (nevertheless, he seems to be a really big-hearted guy). I would be really great if someone could advise me what to do, or maybe give some hints on how to tackle the problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest emailing your adviser directly and asking if it's possible to make an alternative appointment instead of the group advising session.

There is usually a faculty induction day for new undergrads. I looked on the website to see if the dates were up, but they don't seem to have updated it from last year. It's not compulsory and is mainly just people giving talks about support services and stuff. It's not a big deal if you miss it.

I'm not sure about enrolment. In my faculty (science), we just turned up to the first lecture and signed a form saying we were taking the class. You will be told this information before you start, either by letter or in person by your adviser. Tutorials are sorted out in the first week by the lecturer taking the course and you'll be asked to sign up for your preferred tutorial slot (they either pass a sheet of paper around or put it on a noticeboard). They usually start running in the second week.

Don't worry, it's pretty simple really.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow ****ed up my entry royally last year, so don't worry, you won't be alone.

I received NOTHING from the uni to indicate that I would be attending at the start of the 2005 uni year. Not a jot.

End result was a big mess, where I ended up not actually going to uni for the first week, as nobody bothered to tell me when term started. I had to go to a late registration thing at the uni, which was a pain in the ass - ended up wandering around uni to try and find an adviser, which took about two hours.

All the adviser does is look at your courses, make sure they're the correct ones for the degree, and clicks a box on the computer. That was it for me at any rate.

To be perfectly honest, it was a pain in the ass, and I hope it doesn't happen again this year. Just check up on when the late registration sessions are for your degree, and then you can go to them instead if you MUST (they sometimes charge for this if you can't give a good reason for not registering at the correct time).

Best bet - phone the registry department at the uni, they'll help you out.

ReputationRep:
    BiscuitFuelled, I think you can't blame the uni only. You could get all the information if you wanted by contacting the uni. It's unfortunate that those kinds of things happen but there's quite a fuss going on with the applications and all. Besides, it's people who mostly do the job and errare humanum est.

Anyway, hope things will get sorted out for the thread starter.

ReputationRep:
    I did contact them once I realised they hadn't bothered to send me anything... That's the only reason I knew to go to late registration etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2006
Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.