E in Physics (Salters Horners) Resit, Remark, or Drop? Watch

*dicie*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I got an E overall in AS Physics, and am dropping it next year. Only thing is.. the E will look pretty bad on my ucas form, and one module mark in particular dragged it down. I would even be more satisfied with a D (which was what the other two module results were), but I really don't want to resit the whole year over again.

I think if I were to get it remarked I'd get a different mark, because the module result was 23/100. I've never done that badly, even though I'm not exactly up to an A- standard. I put a lot of effort into that exam, but frankly I really don't want to see physics related topics again.

I want to do pharmacy at uni, so would it even matter that much if I even kept the grade I currently have? Would it be worth retaking?
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Goes like this really.

Do you think you actually did achieve better than an E?
  • Yes - remark
  • No - do you think you could improve your grade significantly (say, up to B or C) if you resat one module?
    • Yes - resit
    • No - would it be detrimental to your other A-level subjects if you resat all modules?
      • Yes - drop and don't declare to UCAS
      • No - resit

Pharmacy generally requires chemistry, one other science (biology preferred), and one other subject (maths or physics preferred, but can be arts subject - not general studies). As long as you're doing this you should be fine. Don't declare the E to UCAS though if you don't want to.
morgo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
im doing eng, physics, biology and chem and just got my results for as level. i want to do pharmacy butr im droppin physics because i got a d in it altho im going to resit it altho not taking it next year.

will a combination of eng, bio and chem be enough?
greatpotter
Report 12 years ago
hmm.... i don't think it's enough... maybe you should take physics??
morgo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
why isnt it enough plus i hate physcis
*dicie*
Rep:
?
(Original post by morgo)
why isnt it enough plus i hate physcis
:ottid: I think if I were to retake the AS or continue it to A2 it would probably drag the other subjects down.

Plus I have a C in chemistry- am thinking of retaking 1 or 2 modules to bump that up to a high B/ A so I could get to a good uni ...

Some unis specify that you need 3 A-LEVELS and a pass in an AS, would it matter if it was a low pass even if I'm on track to get at least ABB?
*dicie*
Rep:
?
err... anyone?
Pippak
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If they specify an AS pass then declare your E. It's still a grade. If not then you might want to take another AS next year, and will probably get an offer based around what you achieve in that exam.
*dicie*
Rep:
?
Cheers for all the advice, guys..
I've decided to resit (unfortunatley) but I already have a grade for critical thinking, so that should be ok for ucas...
I hope.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?