LaytonProfessor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,

I'm Spanish and I'm currently studying the first bachelor year here in Spain. I would like to study at university in England and I have been looking for information on the Internet. I realized that you have to do some exams to enter at universities in Britain. Is it true? What kind of exams are?

I don't know if here there's a lot of Spanish people but I want to ask if doing 'selectividad' here in Spain is validated to enter to a British university.

PD: I have seen you use a lot of abbreviations. Is there a website where I can see what that words mean? Thank you.
Neuth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LaytonProfessor)
Hello,

I'm Spanish and I'm currently studying the first bachelor year here in Spain. I would like to study at university in England and I have been looking for information on the Internet. I realized that you have to do some exams to enter at universities in Britain. Is it true? What kind of exams are?

I don't know if here there's a lot of Spanish people but I want to ask if doing 'selectividad' here in Spain is validated to enter to a British university.

PD: I have seen you use a lot of abbreviations. Is there a website where I can see what that words mean? Thank you.
Exams are only really done in the top universities, or if you're taking a competitive subject (like Medicine or Dentistry).

Try urban dictionary...
(Link above) It's useful for most things, really Just type in the words you're confused with.
Valyrian
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello,

When they mean entry exams, it depends. If you're an international student, they will make you sit a test which proves your English capabilities so that you don't suffer from not understanding anything in lectures. On top of that, You will need to do a UKCAT, BMAT etc if you're applying for mathematics or dentistry or medicine at high tier universities.

I think the language test is called an IELT? not too sure.
LaytonProfessor
Rep:
?
I think I'm a little lost with the British education system. The Spanish education system is completely different!

I'm currently studying the first Bachelor year in Spain as I said in my post but for some reasons I will have to study my second Bachelor year in England and maybe I will study Medicine when I finish the bachelor. So, I have questions:

1. I'm 16 years old so I will study in England when I'm 17. What year will I study? 13 year in the Sixth form college? Please, teach me about your education sytem.

2. Will I have to do any exam/certification to study in England?

3. What are 'A-levels'? I think 'A-levels' are exams that you have to do to enter at the university but I don't know when you have to do them. When do you do the 'A-levels' exams?

Thank you for your answer.
username1160024
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think I'm a little lost with the British education system. The Spanish education system is completely different!

I'm currently studying the first Bachelor year in Spain as I said in my post but for some reasons I will have to study my second Bachelor year in England and maybe I will study Medicine when I finish the bachelor. So, I have questions:

1. I'm 16 years old so I will study in England when I'm 17. What year will I study? 13 year in the Sixth form college? Please, teach me about your education sytem.

3. What are 'A-levels'? I think 'A-levels' are exams that you have to do to enter at the university but I don't know when you have to do them. When do you do the 'A-levels' exams?

You'd probably have to start from year twelve as an A level is currently made up of two years. The AS levels you get in year twelve and the A2 exams you do in year thirteen. You'd just be a year older than the rest of the people on your class. But you can't do A2 without AS as an a level is fifty percent both.
You won't need anything to get into a sixth form provided you have some form of qualification or report card from your current school.
A levels are the post-16 exams required for university. You study for two years and study four AS levels in your first year and drop one and carry three on to full a level in your second year.
Universities make offers based on three a levels.
Hope this is helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
lilkawaii
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

I am not quite sure whether if what I am going to say is correct, but by 'bachelor' do you mean 'el bachillerato'?

Here in England,

You do GCSE's (which is equivalent of ESO {educacion secondaria obligatoria}) and then progress to do 4/5 A levels (in year 12) for 1 year and then continue with 4/3 A levels in the second year (year 13)
Tcool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can take exams in Spain and get into universities in England. There are SO many students from abroad with qualifications of their country (I think.) Of course I'm no expert but go look for proper advice from someone who is an expert.
AidenLloydJepsen
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hey,

1) A-levels (Sixth Form) are usually done in 2 years, but if you work hard, they can be completed in one; you usually start A-levels when you're 16, and finish when you're 18 (so for 2 years).

2) To study at a UK uni, you might need to pass an English language exam to ensure you're able to follow the course. For medicine and dentistry courses, BMAT and other exams are needed with your application. However, you don't need to do exams for most courses.

3) A-levels are the standard unit of entry into any English Uni. They are split up into AS and A2, which make the A-level (weigh 50% each). Most students take 4 AS and take 3 to A2 (to get 3 A-levels and 1 AS-level.

Hope I helped
LaytonProfessor
Rep:
?
I'm very thankful for all your answers. You really helped me.

Hope my English wasn't too bad!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (181)
44.15%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (46)
11.22%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (86)
20.98%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (41)
10%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.61%

Watched Threads