Turn on thread page Beta

The "Why Aren't They Really Famous?" thread watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently started a thread dedicated to my favourite singer-singwriter, Rufus Wainwright. As far as I'm concerned he is the PERFECT superstar: hugely talented vocally, instrumentally and lyrically, charming, handsome, original, stylish, wonderful.

Yet when the thread barely received any response, I wasn't that surprised. None of my friends had heard of him before I became obsessed and wouldn't shut up about him. Despite waves of positive publicity, he's never been high up in the charts. He's the most talented musician out there and he works himself to death, yet in a career spanning more than ten years, he has been incapable of achieving what Paris Hilton managed to do in about a month. IT'S NOT RIGHT I TELL YOU!!!:eek:

I'm sure there are others who have a favourite musician or band who they think would be the most famous musical act on the planet, if only the rest of the world would open its 50 Cent-fuelled eyes.

This thread is for those who consider themselves The Chosen Ones, and wish to spread the word of their Musical Messiahs. Let us rave, swoon, rant and shamelessly promote!

I'll go first:

OH MY GOD RUFUS WAINWRIGHT IS THE GREATEST MUSICIAN WHO EVER LIVED AND IF YOU DON'T BUY HIS ALBUM YOU WILL DIE A SAD AND UNFULFILLED HUMAN BEING!

Who's next?

ReputationRep:
    I too love Rufus Wainwright.

I have loved a singer named Esthero since 1998. She is amazing and should be famous.

Her website is www.nearlycivilized.com.

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen him live? I was thinking about posting on the thread you mentioned but all I know of Rufus is that he had two albums called Want One and two, the second of which was reviewed in Uncut and got 3 or 4 stars, and my english teacher said Rufus was terrible lol.

My three suggestions are as follows:

The Black Crowes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Crowes - 90's Classic Rock style band, they're the only band of their style at the mo, have a greatest hits 90-99 coming out soonish Should be good.

Midtown - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midtown_(band) - I disagree with Wiki on this 1, they arn't 'emo' basically in the same way FOB arn't. But they are really great, you get a nice progression through their albums which isn't too extreme and I would LOVE to see them live, someone said they were on a haitus atm but I dunno.

Matchbox 20 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchbox_twenty - The american cross between Keane, Travis and REM. Brilliant chill out music, kept me nice and de-stressed during revision and nice and catchy choruses, love them.

That alright?

ReputationRep:
    Live. An American band. Some of their songs like 'Dolphins Cry' are so beautiful and full of imagery. They are big over there, but never done much in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    Live. An American band. Some of their songs like 'Dolphins Cry' are so beautiful and full of imagery. They are big over there, but never done much in the UK?
    Lightning Crashes is a very good song, but i haven't heard anything else from them

ReputationRep:
    They have a new album out, or else their Greatest Hits is floating about still. Oooh, also, The Crimea - the singers voice is unique, and I can see why they're not mainstream, but I wish they were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    They have a new album out, or else their Greatest Hits is floating about still. Oooh, also, The Crimea - the singers voice is unique, and I can see why they're not mainstream, but I wish they were.
    Yeah, The Crimea are cool. Bad Vibrations is probably my favourite.

ReputationRep:
    The Crimea are pretty mainstream - I don't really like them, but I'm pretty surprised that they haven't made it a big bigger in the last year or so than they have. They're seemingly built for unthreatening success. But it's somehow passed them by, thus far.

Singer scared the **** out of me when I saw them last year; I was admittedly quite pissed, but I hadn't even noticed him wander out into the crowd, and then suddenly I looked round and he was next to me, with a great snaking trail of cord behind him. Odd.

I'm surprised Agent Blue aren't bigger. Not massive massive, but there's nothing that Kasabian have in spades that they don't; they're too charismatic for a band their size.

ReputationRep:
    i prefere non-mainstream bands - the songs don't get overly played on the radio (so i don't get fed up with them) and they are generally more willing to explore different sounds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemby!)
    i prefere non-mainstream bands - the songs don't get overly played on the radio (so i don't get fed up with them) and they are generally more willing to explore different sounds
    Wow, you cutting edge paragon of cool.

ReputationRep:
    Rufus Wainright is famous. At least famous enough to be the main review in Q one issue and get into the top 20 album chart. And I'm sure he's played Glasto.

Hell he was even on the Shrek soundtrack.

ReputationRep:
    umm, ok ...

i was just saying that smaller bands were better, but ok thanks for that sarcasm !!

ReputationRep:
    Matchbox 20 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchbox_twenty - The american cross between Keane, Travis and REM. Brilliant chill out music, kept me nice and de-stressed during revision and nice and catchy choruses, love them

love them love them love them! I started a thread a few months back, but there wasn't much response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Pauly Paul)
    Rufus Wainright is famous. At least famous enough to be the main review in Q one issue and get into the top 20 album chart. And I'm sure he's played Glasto.

He did. And Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah is by far superior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissHero)
    There's plenty of bands that deserve slightly more fame than they got.

One band I recommend to one and all is a band named Love . They're famous I guess, but not famous enough. I'm sure they've gained a little bit more publicity recently as their lead singer died on August the 3rd. A place to start would be to buy Forever Changes . What an album.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    I too love Rufus Wainwright.

I have loved a singer named Esthero since 1998. She is amazing and should be famous.

Her website is www.nearlycivilized.com.
    'Superheroes' is gorgeous, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Pauly Paul)

I know he's well-known, but it's still primarily by more sophisticated music appreciators (exceptions - like me - duly noted:cool: ). I see no reason why he shouldn't cross over to the mainstream, ESPECIALLY considering that he's done so many film soundtracks, magazine interviews, tv specials etc. etc. He's a media-whore, and should be rewarded for it.

(Original post by MissHero)
    Jeff Buckey's version is indeed superior, and no one would tell you this more often than Rufus himself.

I don't know why people always seem to see Rufus as trying to somehow dishonour Jeff Buckley. I'm not saying you're doing that, MissHero, just that a lot of people do. Rufus and Jeff knew and liked each other. After Jeff died, Rufus wrote "Memphis Skyline" about him, and it's one of the most tender, forlorn, confused and heartbreaking love songs you'll ever hear.

BTW, have been admiring Esthero on http://youtube.com/watch?v=FBsmRc4G4Ts . She's wonderful, I love her voice and she's very funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karennerak)
    I know he's well-known, but it's still primarily by more sophisticated music appreciators (exceptions - like me - duly noted:cool: ). I see no reason why he shouldn't cross over to the mainstream, ESPECIALLY considering that he's done so many film soundtracks, magazine interviews, tv specials etc. etc. He's a media-whore, and should be rewarded for it.
    Maybe his name's too long?

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, I guess you thought Scissor Sisters would open the door to chart topping success for over the top camp acts like Rufus Wainwright. But oh well, I imagine in either one or two albums he'll get heavily promoted and become a huge star. Maybe.

But still he's definately famous, as I know many people aren't "sophisticated music appreciators" who know the name Rufus Wainwright.

Thought talking of Rufus, have you heard What Can I Do from the second Antony and The Johnsons album? It's probably my favourite track from the album except for Hope There's Someone and maybe For Today I Am A Boy.

ReputationRep:
    I have a very mainstream musical taste and I have heard of Rufus Wainwright. He may not have outstanding success but he's hardly a failure!

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.