Scuba Diving Watch

tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello Divers!!!

So on my next trip to Dubai I'll be looking at getting my PADI Open Water (hopefully in the Dubai Mall Aquarium ) with intention to get the Advance Open Water certification at some point soon after which is all good but how would I keep my skills up when I'm currently and will be for the foreseeable future based out of the UK where the water is freezing and murky :lol:

Does anyone know good places in Europe to keep skills up to scratch once I have completed the PADI?
GordonP
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Hello Divers!!!

So on my next trip to Dubai I'll be looking at getting my PADI Open Water (hopefully in the Dubai Mall Aquarium ) with intention to get the Advance Open Water certification at some point soon after which is all good but how would I keep my skills up when I'm currently and will be for the foreseeable future based out of the UK where the water is freezing and murky :lol:

Does anyone know good places in Europe to keep skills up to scratch once I have completed the PADI?
Hello theFrance,

I wouldn't write off all British diving as cold and murky! It is sometimes (often?), but I've had >40m vis in Scotland and some sites in places like the Isle of Man and the Scillies you would be disappointed with <15m In terms of the cold, with a drysuit plus good hood and gloves, it needn't be cold - particularly though the summer. You do need a bit of training for a drysuit, but I really like having the option of a day diving on the South Coast every so often, rather than having to go abroad for a diving fix.

If you want to carry on diving in Europe outside of the UK, I can recommend Malta and Tenerife. If I can persuade you to think about diving in the UK, then there are two options: you can join a club attached to a dive shop, or you can join a standalone club. The clubs attached to dive shops will tend to be more expensive (because they're a business), whereas standalone clubs will split the costs of a trip equally between everyone on the trip. However, the clubs attached to shops might be a bit less `flaky' than standalone clubs - because they're running a business, not relying on volunteers.

What I would suggest is to have a look at a few clubs near you (http://bsac.com/findit is a good place to start) and go alone to have a chat to a couple of them - to see what they are like, how much diving they do, etc. Don't worry about any BSAC/PADI rivalry, it was quite bad a few years ago - but most people are growing out of it and realising that a BSAC Ocean Diver and a PADI Open Water Diver are both able to clear their masks, control their buoyancy, etc and so everyone should get over it and just go diving! I can thoroughly recommend Hellfins (hellfins.com) as a really good club in London (they also do foreign dive trips and a ski tour each year).
Also, this thread might be an interesting read: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2156318

Hope that helps!

Gordon
tehFrance
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm sorry but you can't persuade me to Dive in the UK, I don't like the idea of being in murky waters when I see the beautiful clear waters of the Caribbean. Med and Dubai

I'll look into Malta as it isn't a place I have been so perhaps it'll be suitable

Thanks
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello Divers!!!

Scapa flow in Scotland and Skomer Island in Wales are incredible dive sites. Probably my two favourites I've ever been to and I have dived all over the world. (Im talking clear waters and absoluteley tonnes of wildlife) The canary islands are good too.

A common one is also Porthkerris in Cornwall, in the summer you can see basking sharks, but the visibility can be horrible.

Although to be honest you might want to do some BSAC training if you want to do any diving in Europe. PADI, especially in tourist destinations, doesn't leave you particularly well prepared.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GordonP)
Hello theFrance,

I wouldn't write off all British diving as cold and murky! It is sometimes (often?), but I've had >40m vis in Scotland and some sites in places like the Isle of Man and the Scillies you would be disappointed with <15m In terms of the cold, with a drysuit plus good hood and gloves, it needn't be cold - particularly though the summer. You do need a bit of training for a drysuit, but I really like having the option of a day diving on the South Coast every so often, rather than having to go abroad for a diving fix.

If you want to carry on diving in Europe outside of the UK, I can recommend Malta and Tenerife. If I can persuade you to think about diving in the UK, then there are two options: you can join a club attached to a dive shop, or you can join a standalone club. The clubs attached to dive shops will tend to be more expensive (because they're a business), whereas standalone clubs will split the costs of a trip equally between everyone on the trip. However, the clubs attached to shops might be a bit less `flaky' than standalone clubs - because they're running a business, not relying on volunteers.

What I would suggest is to have a look at a few clubs near you (http://bsac.com/findit is a good place to start) and go alone to have a chat to a couple of them - to see what they are like, how much diving they do, etc. Don't worry about any BSAC/PADI rivalry, it was quite bad a few years ago - but most people are growing out of it and realising that a BSAC Ocean Diver and a PADI Open Water Diver are both able to clear their masks, control their buoyancy, etc and so everyone should get over it and just go diving! I can thoroughly recommend Hellfins (hellfins.com) as a really good club in London (they also do foreign dive trips and a ski tour each year).
Also, this thread might be an interesting read: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2156318

Hope that helps!

Gordon
Hey! I just moved to London, I was in the process of doing my Dive Leader when I finished undergraduate, but haven't dived much in the past two years, which is shame as I have my own gear, but my masters was just too hectic and the Leeds uni dive club too much for me to afford at the time. I'm looking for a dive club, I'm considering the one at UCL as I will be doing a PhD there from September but was hoping to look at other options too. As a poor PhD student how expensive is Hellfins?
SianTee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey there, I did my Open Water training whilst on holiday in Sharm-el-Sheikh, Egypt, in the Red Sea I'd really recommend it for the wide range of fish and biodiversity there.

Also, the visibility was excellent, though the last day we dived we did get plagued by jellyfish (they were harmless, don't worry xD)
tehFrance
(Original post by redferry)
Scapa flow in Scotland and Skomer Island in Wales are incredible dive sites. Probably my two favourites I've ever been to and I have dived all over the world. (Im talking clear waters and absoluteley tonnes of wildlife) The canary islands are good too.

A common one is also Porthkerris in Cornwall, in the summer you can see basking sharks, but the visibility can be horrible.

Although to be honest you might want to do some BSAC training if you want to do any diving in Europe. PADI, especially in tourist destinations, doesn't leave you particularly well prepared.
I'll look them up as I do want clear waters as that's a must. I wouldn't do it in Cornwall, been there and surfed and that's all it's good for sea wise

Really? I was hoping just to go through the PADI qualifications, Open Water > Advanced Open Water > Rescue Diver > Master Scuba Diver (incl. electives) which should enable me to dive without issue when I take the family yacht out to any nice areas and I was going to start off in the South of France for learning (a couple of places have offered 100€ discounts) then continue in Dubai as that way I'm not wasting all of my holiday diving

Would you seriously suggest that I go to BSAC and if so when should I look into going with them although I saw conversion courses so surely PADI isn't too bad?
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll look them up as I do want clear waters as that's a must. I wouldn't do it in Cornwall, been there and surfed and that's all it's good for sea wise

Really? I was hoping just to go through the PADI qualifications, Open Water > Advanced Open Water > Rescue Diver > Master Scuba Diver (incl. electives) which should enable me to dive without issue when I take the family yacht out to any nice areas and I was going to start off in the South of France for learning (a couple of places have offered 100€ discounts) then continue in Dubai as that way I'm not wasting all of my holiday diving

Would you seriously suggest that I go to BSAC and if so when should I look into going with them although I saw conversion courses so surely PADI isn't too bad?
Skomer I love, if you are into wildlife it is brilliant. Literally had a seal hitch a ride on my back there once. As you descend and ascend you see all the puffins diving through the water catching fish.

PADI are OK its just you can come out a bit...under prepared for some situations with just an open water/advanced open water if you qualify somewhere like Dubai where its all fairly shallow warm current less water where you can see for miles. You don't really get that in Europe, the sea is much more unpredictable. And colder!

South of France sounds like a good place to start
tehFrance
Skomer I love, if you are into wildlife it is brilliant. Literally had a seal hitch a ride on my back there once. As you descend and ascend you see all the puffins diving through the water catching fish.

PADI are OK its just you can come out a bit...under prepared for some situations with just an open water/advanced open water if you qualify somewhere like Dubai where its all fairly shallow warm current less water where you can see for miles. You don't really get that in Europe, the sea is much more unpredictable. And colder!

South of France sounds like a good place to start
Yes I'm into wildlife so that sounds like a good place to go, thank you

Oh really? So even if I were to just leave it at Advanced Open Water I may not be prepared for European diving and I know what you mean with Dubai, it's all fake reefs that were created to encourage wildlife and it would appear from one of the promotional videos that it's murky in parts

Yes I was thinking it would be, either there or in Spain I would think
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Oh really? So even if I were to just leave it at Advanced Open Water I may not be prepared for European diving and I know what you mean with Dubai, it's all fake reefs that were created to encourage wildlife and it would appear from one of the promotional videos that it's murky in parts

Yeah that's much better preparation as the water will be cooler, there will be more currents etc. But even if you do qualify abroad, if you let the club know they will make sure you are OK
JWoodsie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Before you discount diving in the UK completely, have a look at this video
http://vimeo.com/78209843
It's a place called the Farne Islands, I've taken nervous students in there and had them come out complete dive addicts!!

The UK can be cold and murky, but it can be gin clear and beautiful!
There is so much to see and enjoy here, and it's reasonably cheap!!
GordonP
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey! I just moved to London, I was in the process of doing my Dive Leader when I finished undergraduate, but haven't dived much in the past two years, which is shame as I have my own gear, but my masters was just too hectic and the Leeds uni dive club too much for me to afford at the time. I'm looking for a dive club, I'm considering the one at UCL as I will be doing a PhD there from September but was hoping to look at other options too. As a poor PhD student how expensive is Hellfins?
My two recommendations for dive clubs in central London are Hellfins and ULSAC (the University of London club); they're both big, active clubs that do a lot of good diving and the guys that run both of them are very sound. I don't know many other clubs, so it maybe that they are equally good or better, but either Hellfins or ULSAC will definitely see you fine.

I think Hellfins do a special `recent graduate membership rate' and ULSAC do a BSAC membership fee refund each year, so neither are particularly expensive for membership. I would suggest that ULSAC probably do more trips at the cheaper end of the spectrum, but neither are eye-wateringly expensive. What I would suggest is go and meet both of them and see which one has the most people that you get on with and you can have a frank chat to both of them about what sort of trips they do, how much it costs, etc.

Hope that helps, let me know if you want some contact details or names,

Gordon
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My two recommendations for dive clubs in central London are Hellfins and ULSAC (the University of London club); they're both big, active clubs that do a lot of good diving and the guys that run both of them are very sound. I don't know many other clubs, so it maybe that they are equally good or better, but either Hellfins or ULSAC will definitely see you fine.

I think Hellfins do a special `recent graduate membership rate' and ULSAC do a BSAC membership fee refund each year, so neither are particularly expensive for membership. I would suggest that ULSAC probably do more trips at the cheaper end of the spectrum, but neither are eye-wateringly expensive. What I would suggest is go and meet both of them and see which one has the most people that you get on with and you can have a frank chat to both of them about what sort of trips they do, how much it costs, etc.

Hope that helps, let me know if you want some contact details or names,

Gordon
Thanks so much for your help! I'll get on it in September once I am earning. Don't know what the hell I'd do with my kit in this tiny flat though!!!
GordonP
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I think what RedFerry is suggesting is that you need to look at what skills you develop through those courses. I've done both BSAC and PADI qualifications and they are both great at what they do, but the skills that they teach you are different. Also, although this is rarely made clear on courses, you are only experienced in the conditions that you know - so when you get your qualification in Egypt then you are good to go at similar sites, but you can't claim to be experienced at diving in Norway.

For example: Rescue diver is approximately equivalent to Sports Diver, but doesn't include so much on things like delayed surface marker buoys, shot lines, distance lines, gas planning,... - which are used on almost every dive in the UK. However, Sports Diver doesn't go into as much detail on the first aid part. If you want to dive in the UK without a Dive Leader/Instructor looking out for you, then you need to know how to use a delayed surface marker buoy - I think PADI have a specialty for it, or the Sports Diver course includes it. Sports Diver is a very good course to do, because of the breadth of knowledge that it gives you. Also, you can start Sports Diver after Open Water (no need to do Advanced).

Hope that makes sense?
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think what RedFerry is suggesting is that you need to look at what skills you develop through those courses. I've done both BSAC and PADI qualifications and they are both great at what they do, but the skills that they teach you are different. Also, although this is rarely made clear on courses, you are only experienced in the conditions that you know - so when you get your qualification in Egypt then you are good to go at similar sites, but you can't claim to be experienced at diving in Norway.

For example: Rescue diver is approximately equivalent to Sports Diver, but doesn't include so much on things like delayed surface marker buoys, shot lines, distance lines, gas planning,... - which are used on almost every dive in the UK. However, Sports Diver doesn't go into as much detail on the first aid part. If you want to dive in the UK without a Dive Leader/Instructor looking out for you, then you need to know how to use a delayed surface marker buoy - I think PADI have a specialty for it, or the Sports Diver course includes it. Sports Diver is a very good course to do, because of the breadth of knowledge that it gives you. Also, you can start Sports Diver after Open Water (no need to do Advanced).

Hope that makes sense?
I just sat here for a good 10 minutes like 'what the hell is a delayed market bouy, hell I must be more out of practice than I thought!' Then...oh, DSMB!!!!!

Does PADI really not teach you that on Rescue Diver?

Had a really hairy moment with one jamming once at 30m once where I had to grab the nearest kelp and my buddies legs... Fun!
Ladybird23
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah that's much better preparation as the water will be cooler, there will be more currents etc. But even if you do qualify abroad, if you let the club know they will make sure you are OK

Dubai isn't great. If you go to the east coast of the UAE though the diving is much better.
Ladybird23
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Oops, replied to the wrong bit. Sorry, beginner at this :/

I learnt to dive in Dubai as its where my parents live and had a real shock when I went diving somewhere with actual currents. I felt very underprepared and it affected my confidence for a while. The wildlife was better than I expected but I had very low expectations as the seabeds were so badly disturbed by the building of the Palm and the other islands.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.69%
The paper was reasonable (1176)
54.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (469)
21.64%
It was TERRIBLE (182)
8.4%

Watched Threads