why is football such a primitive sport

Watch
wat a wizard
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Why don't they stop the clock until the ball is back in play and why can't managers call time out, e.g. the managers get 3-1 min timeouts?
moutonfou
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think we need time-outs - that is what half-time is for - the players get a 15 min break but the manager also uses it to re-strategise, give a team talk etc. Otherwise the idea is that it comes down to how the players play - the manager is supposed to be fairly hands off during actual play hence managers getting sent off for getting too involved with the ref's decisions.

I do think the clock should be stopped though - not every time the ball isn't in play, but every time there is a stoppage of say more than 30 seconds (preparing for a free kick/penalty, injured player on the pitch) - would make extra time accurate and stop teams who are winning timewasting.
mcpon14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because kicking a ball or a thing is a very basic and natural concept.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans. Rugby is a hooligans' game played by rapists who **** into pint glasses in student bars.
crazytown2014
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lol I thought you meant American football. It's a lot more dangerous than regular football.
TheNacho63
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Disagree with timeouts, but they should stop the clock like in Rugby, it's really not rocket science and it saves arguements.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nobody mentioned video review? I don't see what the problem is with having a video ref, or even letting the ref watch a replay on the big screen.
manchesterunited15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because Sepp Blatter
whaleys
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Timeouts would ruin the end-to-end nature of the game.

I do think the stopping the clock is a good idea though. Players time wasting is a real pain. It would be much better if this was out of the referee's hands.
Ed Phelan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Time Outs would just get in the way of the game, managers could just call them as and when and it would interfere with the nature of play. Half time allows all the motivation and changing tac tics that they could need.

I don't think football is that primitive. Granted the players throw themselves about a lot when they're barely touched, but this is more to manipulate the game so is actually quite tactical. The sheer skill to get to premier league and international level football is incredible, and although I don't agree with the amount of money in it, the players are incredibly talented and this shows.

Why do you think it is primitive?

Ed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (136)
28.45%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.6%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.46%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.41%
No - I live at home during term anyway (139)
29.08%

Watched Threads