The Student Room Group

Postgraduate applicants for 2015 entry

I know this is really, really early to have this thread but I just couldn't wait. I thought I'd connect with other postgraduate applicants for 2015 entry. :smile:

So to start off, I suppose just say which courses you're interested in, master's or PhD, etc.

I will apply for neuroscience and cognitive science master's degrees - mostly taught MSc but also a couple MRes degrees.

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I meant to reply to this days ago :tongue: oops!

Anyway, I'm applying for 2015 entry for PhDs in computational biology! I'm mostly looking at places in or near London, but this afternoon I'm meeting with a potential supervisor in Edinburgh!

Good luck with your applications!
Oh my word, it's actually came around. I remember seeing the 2014 entry thread not too long ago! Really glad you made this thread, though, it'll be great to go through the process with others for mutual support :h:.

Anyway, a little about me, I guess? I'm going into my final year as an English and Linguistics undergrad at QUB, and I've loved it, really. Hoping to apply for a range of Medieval courses, specifically with a focus on literature, although I'm not opposed to more historical based courses if they'll have me! I haven't done all that much research yet other than Queen's' very own Medieval Literature MA (which I love), and the Medieval Language, Literature and Culture M.Phil at Trinity College Dublin (which I admit is absolutely perfect but I don't think I could afford to go *sniffles*). I definitely need to do a lot more research, especially on mainland universities and courses, but that's what the summer's for!

I'm also considering an MA Queen's offer in Legislative Study and Practice which a friend told me about (it involves a 9 month long placement in Stormont which is pretty neat), but it seems very competitive (only 10 places... what?!) and I'm not sure I'd have the same passion for it as I do for Medieval Lit.

We shall see, though. Looking forward to getting chatting to you all! :smile:
1+3 and Msc in research based psychology :smile:

Excited!!
OSPAP (overseas pharmacists assessment program) in Sunderland..hopefully!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great to meet you all :smile: Good luck with your applications!
Have people been visiting the unis they hope to apply to? I didn't visit all the places I applied to at undergrad but I'm probably going to end up visiting all the ones I'm applying to for PhDs -- to meet potential supervisors, at least. So far I've visited Edinburgh and I will be in Cambridge and London this summer so hope to fit a few more in!
Reply 7
Hi. I will be applying for Economics. Hoping to get the University of my choice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hi everyone! I'm going to final year and I'll be applying to SOAS for MA Linguistics and Language (it's a two-year programme, it involves linguistics and intensive language teaching; I'm interested in Arabic, Persian and Turkish), Oxford for MSt Linguistics and a couple of unis and subjects in the Czech Republic (I don't know if it's worth listing them all given that I still have to make up my mind and I don't think many people will know them at all...), all of them related to linguistics. I'll have to write drafts of personal statements over the summer to avoid hassle at the start of next academic year.

In the morning, my friend decided to organise a trip to Olomouc, a Czech city with a uni I'm intending to apply to, so I'm looking forward to having a look around :smile:
Original post by Ivanka
Hi everyone! I'm going to final year and I'll be applying to SOAS for MA Linguistics and Language (it's a two-year programme, it involves linguistics and intensive language teaching; I'm interested in Arabic, Persian and Turkish), Oxford for MSt Linguistics and a couple of unis and subjects in the Czech Republic (I don't know if it's worth listing them all given that I still have to make up my mind and I don't think many people will know them at all...), all of them related to linguistics. I'll have to write drafts of personal statements over the summer to avoid hassle at the start of next academic year.

In the morning, my friend decided to organise a trip to Olomouc, a Czech city with a uni I'm intending to apply to, so I'm looking forward to having a look around :smile:

Ooh nice, good luck! Linguistics is great fun, hope you enjoy it.
Reply 10
Hi everyone,

I'll be applying for a couple of courses (haven't narrowed them all down yet):

MA Classics at Durham
MA Classics & Ancient History at Bristol

Not entirely sure if I'm interested in doing PhD just yet, but an MA for sure. It'll be a career break for me and I decided to focus on studying something I truly enjoy rather than something that will help me get a job (e.g. my Undergraduate degree in Management).
Reply 11
I'm doing a Masters at Warwick starting in September, and will probably re-apply for PhDs at Cambridge, Imperial and TCD for physics and Soton for chemistry/maths (they're all the same topic, but are housed in random departments). Also considering applying to Edinburgh Uni and TU Munich for Analysis, and if I ever have enough cash for the GRE there are a couple of places in the US that also look quite interesting. Well, I'll stagger applications again.

Applications should go a lot better than this year because I've learned from interviews (they improved progressively!) and am now published. I figure the PGCert I somehow scraped and that Master's should also help. :smile:
Hi!!!

This situation is a little bit different with me, since I'm deferring entry to Kent until 2015 so I can gather my finances together. But I'm still planning on entering Kent as a postgraduate studying drama and theatre. I can't wait to meet everyone and where they're all going in 2015!
Original post by WokSz
Hi everyone,

I'll be applying for a couple of courses (haven't narrowed them all down yet):

MA Classics at Durham
MA Classics & Ancient History at Bristol

Not entirely sure if I'm interested in doing PhD just yet, but an MA for sure. It'll be a career break for me and I decided to focus on studying something I truly enjoy rather than something that will help me get a job (e.g. my Undergraduate degree in Management).

Nice, let me know if you have questions about life at Bristol :smile: Good luck!
Reply 14
I'd like to start a thread dedicated to Oxford postgrad applications for 2015 entry, but it seems that all the previous threads on postgrad apps to Oxford have been merged into one megathread which can be found here. Is it worth starting a new one or should I wait until the admin changes the current one? :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by Ivanka
I'd like to start a thread dedicated to Oxford postgrad applications for 2015 entry, but it seems that all the previous threads on postgrad apps to Oxford have been merged into one megathread which can be found here. Is it worth starting a new one or should I wait until the admin changes the current one? :tongue:

I personally don't understand the logic behind merging all the threads into a larger thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by punctuation
Nice, let me know if you have questions about life at Bristol :smile: Good luck!

Thank you for the offer! I'll definitely take you up on that. Am I OK sending you a PM with some questions about life there? Are you a current postgrad?
Original post by WokSz
Thank you for the offer! I'll definitely take you up on that. Am I OK sending you a PM with some questions about life there? Are you a current postgrad?

Sure! I'm a current undergrad so I can tell you about the uni and city but not much specific to postgrads or your course I'm afraid!
Original post by Ivanka

Original post by WokSz
I personally don't understand the logic behind merging all the threads into a larger thread.

I think it's just because the Oxford board gets rather a lot of posts about admissions and applications, so they like merging things to avoid a flooding effect. But there are lots of helpful people on that board, so if you post in one of the existing threads I'm sure people will be happy to help :smile:. (BTW I am currently an undergrad at Oxford and planning on applying for postgrad there too, so feel free to chat with me about it in this thread or elsewhere!)
Reply 19
Original post by LtCommanderData
I think it's just because the Oxford board gets rather a lot of posts about admissions and applications, so they like merging things to avoid a flooding effect. But there are lots of helpful people on that board, so if you post in one of the existing threads I'm sure people will be happy to help :smile:. (BTW I am currently an undergrad at Oxford and planning on applying for postgrad there too, so feel free to chat with me about it in this thread or elsewhere!)

Thanks :smile: In which college are you and what do you study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending