Turn on thread page Beta

Aqa Gcse Art watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    do you have to get the top mark to get an A* in art?
    like 100%

ReputationRep:
    I don't do Art, but according to this examiner's report, you need 144/150 for an A*.

...then again, I may be looking at the wrong specification. :p:

ReputationRep:
    You need about 97% for an A* in art which is ridiculously high IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Thats ridiculous! I feel sorry for all your arty people!

ReputationRep:
    WOW that is high!

Sheeesh thank god I didn't do art, not that I'm the slightest bit artistic anyway...

ReputationRep:
    god, that is really high. It's too bad i didn't choose art before since it seems so [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    I'm now starting to wish that i hadn't left all my coursework untill a week before the due date :eek: Oh well...

ReputationRep:
    er. the grading for art is like different for other subjects. so 97% is not that difficult but still difficult.

btw, I'm predicted C for art but I'm probably going to get an E since I didnt finish my coursework. hahahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zinc11)
    er. the grading for art is like different for other subjects. so 97% is not that difficult but still difficult.

btw, I'm predicted C for art but I'm probably going to get an E since I didnt finish my coursework. hahahahaha.
    its actually extremely hard to get an A*...you can do **** loads of work and still get an A even if you want an A*
    i know a lot of people in that position including me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran89)
    its actually extremely hard to get an A*...you can do **** loads of work and still get an A even if you want an A*
    i know a lot of people in that position including me
    And one of the best people i know at art is predicted a B! And all becasue the teacher thought her art was too pretty:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i know a few people who have A* but then they went on to do art at Uni so I guess they must be really good then.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually predicted an A* at art....but my teacher is quite stingy with coursework marks so I'll have to wait. But my final exam piece (based on botanical illustration...did anyone else do this?)was one of the best so hopefully I'll nab the grade...fingers crossed :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Art next year ... I'm not even that good ... I just enjoy it! :p:

I'm hoping for an A but we'll see how it goes

ReputationRep:
    I did GCSE Art. Ruined my lovely results with a big fat B and the teacher was horrible to me and made me cry. Needless to say, I wish I'd done history or something instead. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I did GCSE Art. Ruined my lovely results with a big fat B and the teacher was horrible to me and made me cry. Needless to say, I wish I'd done history or something instead. :rolleyes:
    Damn

I dropped History for Art

Oh well I really really hope to get an A

I am ****ting myself about GCSE Art now

My parents expect me to do as well as my sister did and she got majority A* and some A's

But then again I do enjoy Art and I always put my best effort into everything I do so hopefully I'll be OK

ReputationRep:
    Awh don't worry.
    Your parents will be trying to encourage you and push you to do your best. They really won't be disappointed in you if you don't match your sister's achievement, honest. My mother is just hoping my sister gets further in life than getting pregnant at 16 and then working in Tescos. Don't put so much pressure on yourself, your parents wouldn't want that, no matter how much they want you to do well.

*Tips for GCSE Art* - do lots of stuff. Doesn't matter if you think it's a bit rubbish (if it's just a scribble you don't need to include all of these in your work, make sure you keep the ones that develop into bigger ideas though), make sure you keep it and put it in your scrapbook/progression book thingy as it shows how you experiment with ideas and how your final (big/complicated) pieces come to be. Keep a book (or something that serves the same purpose) like this throughout the time and make sure you show (to some extent) how you try things out before going on to use them in a proper piece.
    Other boxes to tick: use a variety of media, for example, pencil drawings, charcoal, pastels (chalk and/or oil), acrylic paint, oil paint... erm... the thingy whatsit I used for my coursework which I can't think of now... oh yeah, photomontage (your classmates will think this is a complete joke, I wouldn't advise using it for your coursework unless you can make a very good piece... mine wasn't amazing and iirc it got a B which pulled my classwork A down). You don't have to do all of these obviously... but I'd try at least... hmm... 4, and perhaps use at least 3 different ones in final pieces? Obviously it's fine to have a favourite that you're strong in but you won't get good at the others until you practise a bit! Hmm... that's all I can think of for now. Oh, patterns. Experiment with a bit of a pattern thing if it will fit into your work somewhere, even as a background to something (I turned the aston martin logo into one and put it as the background to a drawing of the car iirc... oh, no I did an explosion effect... but I considered the pattern as the background and showed this in my workbook) they seem to love that (or my teacher did at least :confused:). And don't flap about things not being perfect. You won't get a good mark for a few great pieces as a show of all your 2 years' work. They don't judge completely on the quality of your work, but also on your workbook and the quality of your ideas. Do a decent amount of work.

Anyway, that will be all. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm really dreading my art results after reading the comments in this thread, wish i never looked now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milie B)
    I'm really dreading my art results after reading the comments in this thread, wish i never looked now.
    I feel the same way after reading certain other threads. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to cheer myself up at the moment by listening to music!

ReputationRep:
    I know someone in my school that got an A* in art and after seeing her sketchbook that our teacher showed us, many people felt really scared. If that wasn't enough, it was shown in the middle of our art exam when everybody was obviously stressed.

Saying that, I agree with the above advice and If you want to do well in art I'll recommend filling your sketchbook with loads of drawings and anything that you can come up with. However, my art teacher also said that quality does matter. So make sure come up with some good quality pieces.

In all honesty, I believe that if you put in the work you can achieve a fairly decent grade in the subject. I know one guy in our art class that only did a picture of a building. Come exam day, he was given 30 pictures of trees to copy to his sketchbook. :eek: Needless to say, he didn't do anything but I think he's still predicted a D, E or F with the only drawing.

BTW. I'm doing edexcel but I think the grade boundaries are roughly the same with each of the exam boards for an A* in art.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.