Turn on thread page Beta

Chemical engineering possible at imperial? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm currently on a year out before university, and have seriously considered doing chemical engineering due my interests in both physics and Chemistry (especially chemistry)

I really want to do chemical engineering at Imperial or UCL, however I did not get the ABB minimum for imperial. I got ABC - A chemistry (507/600) B Physics (468/600) C Biology (384/600) and AS Mathematics C (194/300).

The fact that I got a B and a C in physics and AS maths is making me think that I probably wont get a place at imperial, however I would much rather go there than UCL. Also, seeing as Chemistry is obviously my best subject, would that be enough to get me into imperial?

Has anyone ever got into Imperial with those grades?

I would like to apply for the year abroad, however i got a C at GCSE german. Would it matter if I retook that during my year out?

Sorry for the questions, and I know perhaps Id be better off emailing the deans of admissions, however I thought I'd test the water so to speak to see what sort of reaction I get to such questions

As for experience, all I have is retail, and a little working as secuirity at heathrow airport. Should I find chemical engineering type experience? perhaps even within the companies working in junior positions?
    Would normal office experience, perhaps within the finance sector be ok?

Sorry for the long post, its just i have quite a few questions.

Thanks kindly to all and any answers

Regards - w00tt

ReputationRep:
    It's massively oversubscribed. They say ABB but most offers are AAB or AAA and many achieve AAAA. They get lots in from the far east. Imperial isn't really going to be a possibility, I'm afraid. You must have A level maths also. It's very very mathematical.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, thats very dissappointing.

what do you think about UCL as they want BBB, and ABC is same points wise?
    Is that possible? The C is in Biology, which i presume wont be too important for a chemical engineering degree....
    Also, with regards to maths, i only messed up mechanics as i got B's for C1 and C2 but low on M1, hence C. Should I retake that? Maybe continue A2 maths, though I may not need too?
    Is retaking allowed, as its not really clear on the website?

I suppose I could always apply for BEng, and then if I do really good in the first year get transfered over to MEng, as has been suggested elsewhere.

Also any answers for the other questions would be great
    kind regards
    w00tt

ReputationRep:
    continue maths to A2. It is mandatory and even if by some small chance they let you on without it you will have a lot of work to do to catch up.

ReputationRep:
    Chemical Engineering does not contain as much Chemistry as people percieve, there is some Chemistry but most important subjects to have is Maths & Physics.

You really need A-level Maths. Don't think Imperial will accept you with those grades, but there are very good courses at places such as Loughborough, UCL and Birmingham that are after the equivalent of BBB. You could really do with A2 Maths though. If you don't want to take A2 Maths then your more likely to get onto a BEng or a Foundation Year. As I never considered those options though, I cannot help you further.

You don't really need work experience, just try to show an interest though your personal statement.

You'll need more like an A grade at GCSE at least to be considered for the year abroad, if not there is the possibility of going to USA or Australia so you study in English. They won't let you travel if your not up to standard. I don't think a university will mind a resit - it means the language is also quite fresh in your mind and once on the course you can swap between going abroad or not.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I just spoke to someone from Birmingham regarding their ChemEng course and she said basically to continue A2 maths, and retake whatever I like and then that will be fine to get a place.

I am also going to phone UCL, Bath, Loughborough, Manchester as well to see their opinions on the matter.

Can anyone perhaps suggest any other better universities that I should consider?
    Would someone please go to the trouble of ranking the unis I have chosen so far in like an order of best to worst for employment prospects, reputation etc?
    That would be really great

Thank you guys kindly
    Regards,
    w00tt

ReputationRep:
    UCL/Lougborough
    bath
    manchester

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone....may i know what is the typical offer for chem eng at imperial?im doin maths further maths physics chemistry n economics....do they specify the subjects in their offer?....n hmm....how do we exactly show our interest in chem eng in our ps?>????apart frm sum work experience?10q for the attention

ReputationRep:
    Zhi Yang, typical offers range from AAA-ABB tho ABB is rather rare. Imperial usually specifies As in chemistry and maths.

ReputationRep:
    Im hoping to study MEng in Chem Eng in 07.

So Imperial have a min req. of ABB, but what would the offer be?

UCl has BBB, so what offer would they offer me?

Im considering UCL as my firm and Imp as my insurance even though Imp has higher requirements. Any one else doing the same?

ReputationRep:
    I have now decided to decline Physics (B) and Biology (C) which means i apply with
    A - (AS+A2) Chemistry (507/600)
    A - (AS) Physics (256/300)
    B - (AS) Biology (211/300)

and would be taking up A2 maths, after declining my AS maths at (C).

So could anybody please comment on whether I would be likely to get an offer from imperial and ucl on the basis of these grades?

What sort of offer would I be looking at?

Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    Erm so

you will have 1 A2, 2AS and 1/2 A2.

Erm... how can you do just maths A level, surely you cant decline the AS.

You cant just decline your A2, it will be obvious you got a low mark, my advice, resit.

ReputationRep:
    Im starting chem eng at Imperial this year (2006). My offer was AAA, i knew that some people also got AAA offer but many do get AAB too. I think because i didn't do particularly well during the interview but didn't do that badly either. so may be that's why.

ReputationRep:
    You can decline AS, as it was available through my school.

I spoke to imperial and they said "we dont mind you retaking at all... as long as you meet the grades."

I presume that as long as you are up to the grade standard, they wont mind.

For interview I think I may be ok, as I'm quite confident and am able to speak to others openly without being shy, and as long as I do my research properly as I pretty much already have, it should be ok?

The way I see it, is that if I can improve my grades, but cannot get into imperial, then at least ill stand a better chance for other unis eg UCL, and for employment afterwards. Anyone think otherwise?

Having talked to imperial, UCL, manchester, bath, birmingham, and loughborough, none of them have any problems with retaking.

I may phone again and confirm this, and ask perhaps whether I shall be discriminated (for want of a better word) against as I will be retaking.

If anyone is in a similar position I'll post the answers here if you want?

regards
    w00tt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhi Yang)
    hi everyone....may i know what is the typical offer for chem eng at imperial?im doin maths further maths physics chemistry n economics....do they specify the subjects in their offer?....n hmm....how do we exactly show our interest in chem eng in our ps?>????apart frm sum work experience?10q for the attention
    I'm not applying for Chem Eng but I think that if you do apply you will be given an offer based on 3 of Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Imperial may not be so bothered about Economics - at my interview for Aero my interviewer dropped the hint that he was going to give me an offer and what it would be and he also hinted that he didn't really care about Economics and my offer would not be based on Economics at all. I think the fact that you are doing Further Maths will probably lower the offer to AAB with the B being in Further Maths.

This may not be the case with Chem Eng, but I think this is what the Aero department did. I know the Electrical department gave AAA even if you were taking Further Maths. I think the best thing is just to apply and see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    what are peoples opinions on birmingham for chem eng?

ReputationRep:
    Good, very good. I went there for the open day a few days ago and was impressed. Building is clean, newish, equipment and labs are good. PCs are good. Has its own library. I think its one of the top 5 unis for Chem Eng in UK along with UCL, Imperial, Cambirdge, Bath?

ReputationRep:
    oh right thanks thats cool.

I have to admit though i am looking at maybe entering either the chemical engineering sector as a profession but also the finance side, and so would brum be good for that? obviously i just want to keep doors open at the moment, no point closing em for no reason

w00tt

ReputationRep:
    is chemical engineering really oversubscribed?

ReputationRep:
    In the 06-07 cycle there were 708 applicants for roughly 120 places. Also note that the entry requirement for almost all Imperial courses is AAA.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 10, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.