England fans wonder why "Anyone but England".... tonight explains it all

Watch
1tartanarmy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
For the England fans that wonder why you are disliked by many up here in Scotland and in other areas if the UK may be interested to hear why that is using examples of tonight's game and this world cup in general.

So we go into this world cup and fair play to the media and England fans...in the build up to this world cup the arrogance and manner at which is normally conveyed didn't exist...for once it felt like you were finally being realistic. I didn't personally mind the England team at all during the build up!

But then it starts...day 1...opening game and all the talk is about England this and England that...I pay a license fee and in the opening game I expected to hear the pundits and media talk about Brazil and Croatia...but nope... the dislike started to creep in.

So fast forward to the Italy game....by this point the realistic aspect was all but gone...before kick off some of you were convincing yourselves that you were better than Italy...not a chance, why not wait until after the game? I'll tell you why...arrogance.

Tonight...oh my gosh tonight has been a treat. Rooney's equaliser had the commentators talking like you were suddenly the world champions...embarrassing...by this point I was wanting Uruguay to hammer England... and up came Suarez!!!! hahaha classic.

Then I felt sorry for you....again you had maybe just maybe not made the majority of scots dislike your national team...but no....the commentators were sad for about a minute...refused to admit that uraguay were the better team and then began to talk utter garbage "if suarez was wearing an england top tonight"....I mean come on....how pathetic is that.... and to top it all off...to top it off...they then started talking about how they could get two results their way (totally discrediting two teams, one of which just beat them and the other one being a team that beat the team that just beat them)...how bloody arrogant.... You all talk as if you will just roll costa rica over.......hahaha aye like you done with italy and uraguay.

When will you learn and just say "we are not the better team"

I'm a Scotland fan....I can admit we are rubbish and have minor signs of improvement...but England just can't seem to stop being arrogant. Thats your down fall....everyone involved from the players to the media to the fans is deluded.

Enjoy your night!
Badshah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I totally agree and this is why I also dislike England football team and want them to lose.
NathanW18
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your dislike is completely understandable. The fans expectations were where they should be before the tournament started. Things started to get silly as the Italy game approached. Our performance in that game caused people to overrate the team again. Tonight comes around and we had some people saying Uruguay are a poor team and we will win comfortably. The optimism/arrogance will likely never die. Not all of us are the same way, though.

Even though the BBC and ITV are British channels, it's a little annoying that the England team has to be talked about so much. The team does not need to be discussed during games that we're not involved in.
AnharM
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is such a **** reason to why you would hate the England national team.

1. Presenters like Gary Linekar and Adrian Chiles are both English, Alan Shearer and Lee Dixon as well. So of course they will show their enthusiasm and optimism for England. Gus Poyet is Uruguayan, so he was obviously optimistic for Uruguay. Likewise with Henry and France, Seedorf and the Netherlands. The commentators are also English. They support England. The Spanish commentators would show the same appreciation and optimism for Spain, likewise for Scottish commentators for Scotland.

2. The BBC is shown worldwide, but everyone would know that Gary Linekar and Danny Murphy are both English, so obviously they would share their optimism.

3. You're exaggerating the bias of English commentators and punditry too much. I, for one, don't think that England have played better than tonight for a long time in a World Cup game, they were very attacking tonight, but the pundits were criticising the defending a lot, rightly so. So there's really not that much bias. They analyse the game very well.
CantTellMeNothin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Not particularly sure what the Uruguay fans sing but it's probably along similar lines.
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
lmao another bitter scot
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnharM)

1. Presenters like Gary Linekar and Adrian Chiles are both English, Alan Shearer and Lee Dixon as well. So of course they will show their enthusiasm and optimism for England. Gus Poyet is Uruguayan, so he was obviously optimistic for Uruguay. Likewise with Henry and France, Seedorf and the Netherlands. The commentators are also English. They support England. The Spanish commentators would show the same appreciation and optimism for Spain, likewise for Scottish commentators for Scotland.

3. The BBC is shown worldwide, but everyone would know that Gary Linekar and Danny Murphy are both English, so obviously they would share their optimism.

4. You're exaggerating the bias of English commentators and punditry too much. I, for one, think that England played the most attacking football in a World Cup game against Uruguay tonight, but the pundits were criticising the defending a lot, rightly so. So there's really not that much bias. They analyse football very well.
Your wrong on point 1. Scottish commentators if anything discredit Scotland when we play...and when anybody on earth play...and I mean anybody...I don;t get the same feeling...even Celtic supports commentating when Celtic are playing... England are by a country mile the worst for this. They are simply not realistic. Also... of course I want them to support their team... I never said this was a problem.... its their expectations and delusion that annoy me.

you missed point 2 out?

3.see point 1

4." England played the most attacking football in a World Cup game against Uruguay tonight"

Your words not mine^^^^ it really does prove my point. See Columbia, Holland, Germany etc etc.... England doesn't come close.
blue n white army
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Crap reasons aside you seem to forget that most england fans couldn't give a damn that scotland are bitter.
CantTellMeNothin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good lad tartanarmy.

If there's ever a time for a Scot to pipe up, it's after England get sent home from a tournament.

You've done your nation proud.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why blame the fans for the flaws of the media, though?
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Stroppy scots
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
(Original post by blue n white army)
Crap reasons aside you seem to forget that most england fans couldn't give a damn that scotland are bitter.
I don't give two hoots about how England fans see Scotland...Probably the way I do...pretty mediocre. At least I can admit it though!
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Why blame the fans for the flaws of the media, though?
I was down in London for the Scotland England game just passed... the fans generally are just a softer version of the media... you only have to look through these posts on TSR to see what I mean. One lad claiming England will beat costa rica "easilly"......
VladThe1mpaler
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The only reason we need to dislike the English national team is that we are rivals, and have been rivals pretty much since football began. England v Scotland is the oldest international fixture in the world apparently.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

3. The BBC is shown worldwide, but everyone would know that Gary Linekar and Danny Murphy are both English, so obviously they would share their optimism.

4. You're exaggerating the bias of English commentators and punditry too much. I, for one, think that England played the most attacking football in a World Cup game against Uruguay tonight, but the pundits were criticising the defending a lot, rightly so. So there's really not that much bias. They analyse football very well.
On point 4. Your ****ing delusional, England are arguably the 3rd most attacking side today, depending on how you qualify the disappointing Japanese team.

But, I agree with the OP. English football is, and always has been, INSANELY arrogant. England will never, ever be better until they admit they are a joke. England have been talking a big game on improvement for decades and have done nothing about it while others (Germany, Spain most notably but also others like Belgium, Norway, Switzerland, Colombia, etc) have made great strides in youth and then senior level football in a fraction of the time.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
England fans can't see the commentary bias because they themselves are biased .
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
On point 4. Your ****ing delusional, England are arguably the 3rd most attacking side today, depending on how you qualify the disappointing Japanese team.

But, I agree with the OP. English football is, and always has been, INSANELY arrogant. England will never, ever be better until they admit they are a joke. England have been talking a big game on improvement for decades and have done nothing about it while others (Germany, Spain most notably but also others like Belgium, Norway, Switzerland, Colombia, etc) have made great strides in youth and then senior level football in a fraction of the time.
What?
AnharM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)

I meant, the most attacking England have ever played, in the last few World Cups. They don't usually play this attacking, they should get more credit for playing like this. Otherwise, the Italy manager wouldn't have said that England have one of the best attacks in the World Cup.

And no, this year, it was all optimism, not arrogance. Only the minority were arrogant, but most were optimistic, and rightly so. I don't care what anyone says, this squad is one of the best England have had in the World Cup, better than 2006 and 2010 for sure. Attacking-wise, not defensively. Hodgson should have asked Terry to come out of retirement. But in 06 and 2010, yes, England fans were mostly arrogant, thinking they could make it to the semis.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's the media though, it's their job to get slightly carried away - sensationalism sells.

Most England fans went into this tournament not expecting much, but some have gotten carried away in the general hype of the world cup - understandable, it happens to every nation and is most certainly not just an England fan thing.
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
I don't care what anyone says, this squad is one of the best England have had in the World Cup, better than 2006 and 2010 for sure.
The joke that keeps on giving hahahahahahahah.... you lost your opening two games for teh first time EVER.... and you make that claim. Delusion from an England fans AGAIN.... you keep proving my own points by just talking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (29)
19.59%
I'm not sure (3)
2.03%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (51)
34.46%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.03%
I'm not a current university student (62)
41.89%

Watched Threads