Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

I would love to make an application for History with Poltics at Oxford, however my applications elsewhere will be for straight Politics courses and will not include History. My plan was to use my normal Politics personal statement and use the additional information box in my Oxford application form to specify why I want to combine it with History at Oxford, will this be acceptable or will it show a lack of dedication at such a high level? Thanks in advance for any help.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest placing it in your PS. For joint courses, I'm assuming tutors would like to see complete dedication towards both subjects. It shouldn't hinder your application to other universities, as long as you talk about Politics too.

ReputationRep:
    No, you should definitely include History in your PS too.. Oxford want to see that you appreciate why you might study the two subjects together and want to see commitment to both. Other Unis shouldn't penalise you for having a bit of History in your PS too. I know a lot of people who got offers from other Unis even when their PS wasn't exactly focused on those Unis particular course. It would be too risky to just use the additional box on the Oxford application form.

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with the above two posters. You really should try to balance it out more, especially as Oxford don't do straight Politics, and it may seem as if you're applying for the course with only a lukewarm interest in History, as it's like a last resort...

Also bear in mind that you're going to have a History interview, and if the subject isn't mentioned at all in your PS it might strike the interviewer (who's probably dedicated years to the subject) as a bit odd.

I hope this helped - and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot for the replies, ok so now I know I definately will place History in my UCAS personal statement. Now im only faced with the difficulty of getting the balance right, I guess im not the first faced with the problem though so I better get on with it haha. Thanks again
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tomdav)
    Thanks alot for the replies, ok so now I know I definately will place History in my UCAS personal statement. Now im only faced with the difficulty of getting the balance right, I guess im not the first faced with the problem though so I better get on with it haha. Thanks again
    Don't forget that you can say why your study of History at A level (I presume you're doing history...) would be useful to a Politics degree anywhere - you want to sell yourself to all your other choices too! I'm sure you could talk about how invaluable the study of politicis to history, and how they are intertwined, and what skills as an historian you would bring to your degree, wherever you study.

And yes, I had to balance my PS between Biology and Geography, and I wasn't applying to Oxford with either of those subjects... It can be done, I got all six offers

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget that you can say why your study of History at A level (I presume you're doing history...) would be useful to a Politics degree anywhere - you want to sell yourself to all your other choices too! I'm sure you could talk about how invaluable the study of politicis to history, and how they are intertwined, and what skills as an historian you would bring to your degree, wherever you study.

And yes, I had to balance my PS between Biology and Geography, and I wasn't applying to Oxford with either of those subjects... It can be done, I got all six offers
    Ahh yeh, thanks. I have an idea to talk about George Canning as he relates to both History and Politics quite nicely. Congrats on all your offers and thanks for the advice

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.