Turn on thread page Beta

How many languages can you speak/understand? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    mmm most mandarin speakers understand **** off in cantonese anyways
    i suppose! i am uneducated

why not eric? it'll be fun. they might be serving eric bischoff pies for a while tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    i suppose! i am uneducated

why not eric? it'll be fun. they might be serving eric bischoff pies for a while tho
    with added bricks for extra strength

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    lol you like bricks dont you :-) esp for throwing at tk :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Latin - very well
    Greek - very well
    Hebrew - good
    Aramaic - competent
    Spanish - did at GCSE, cannot remember most but know basics
    French - Hmm, bits and pieces

Random other bits and pieces from loads of languages from places I have visited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Latin - very well
    Greek - very well
    Hebrew - good
    Aramaic - competent
    Spanish - did at GCSE, cannot remember most but know basics
    French - Hmm, bits and pieces

Random other bits and pieces from loads of languages from places I have visited.
    ur english is ok, spose you could put it in there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    lol you like bricks dont you :-) esp for throwing at tk :cool:
    well if girls come out of the kitchen and stop cooking action needs to be taken

ReputationRep:
    English-Just, though my spelling and grammar is amazing!

French-I wouldn't say I'm fluent as such, my grammar is terrible but I can basically make some really effective hand and face gestures and understand enough to describe a scene from Fawlty Towers and Only Fools & Horses and make a whole family piss themselves with laughter-However when I was younger (Ie. Like 3) I used to be able to talk fluent French and Flemish...I don't know how but when I'm drunk I can chat for the whole European Union

French-Canadian-Yes it's different, that I am fluent in

Spanish-Mmmm I can understand what they are saying, as for replying. Nada!

I used to study latin but I hated it

I am also considering taking up Italian at University. Though I'm still unsure, taking up languages is something I keep doing and it keeps screwing up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_b)
    ...Saudi Arabian
    You mean arabic!

Oooh and I can say "hello sailor!" and other rude stuff in greek and I know what to say to street traders in most arabic countries "mafeesh faloose"(Phonetically) which means I have no bloody money, leave me the hell alone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    You mean arabic!

Oooh and I can say "hello sailor!" and other rude stuff in greek and I know what to say to street traders in most arabic countries "mafeesh faloose"(Phonetically) which means I have no bloody money, leave me the hell alone!
    It's 4am. OMG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    It's 4am. OMG.
    Shut up Bono! I'm insomniaccced from all the alcohol

ReputationRep:
    French
    Latin
    Saudi Arabian
    English
    German
    Potuguese
    Spanish
    Belgian
    Dutch
    Norweigen

.......Learning Swedish
    Er Belgium has three languages, which you've also listed..........think you might be cheating , oh and I though Saudi used arabic?

ReputationRep:
    English and British Sign Language fluently. (BSL in two different regional variations) I can understand American Sign Language (just) but not sign it myself.

Enough French and Italian to get by on holiday.

I can count in Japanese and say thank you 3 different ways (the only thing from my Ju Jitsu I can still do)

I found out in Barcelona that I can understand quite a bit of Spanish, and if you speak Italian people get the gist of what you are saying.

Cantonese - used to be able to swear and insult due to sharing a flat with a chinese guy.

Urdu - the phrase eveyone knows

Punjabi - what? I keep meaning to learn some Punjabi but just too busy at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Does slang Australian count as a foriegn language??

No I speak English (obviously) And Japanese (I have no idea why)

I speak bits and pieces of Russian, Romanian, Spanish, Vietnamese.

Lesser amounts of French and I used to know a minute amount of Aboriginal, but Ive since forgotten.

Mostly
    1.English
    2.HIndi
    3.Marathi
    4.Gujrati(can't write)
    5.French & 6.Punjabi(little bit)
    7.Marwari
    8.Telgu & Russian(Only numbers)

Nin Hao :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    & amybe a cat as your companion....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    & amybe a cat as your companion....
    hmm,

you dont no much about throwing bricks and you have a weak stomach and you seem to like fighting.So i guess you can be put on trial

ReputationRep:
    English
    Mandarin
    Shanghai-dialect (dammit, it's different. Can understand and make people understand me vaguely)
    Cantonese (can understand)
    German (AS-level)
    French (enough for GCSE A*)
    Latin (close to GCSE standard, self-taught)
    Ancient Greek (close to GCSE standard, self-taught)

Oh and a bit of Welsh and Japanese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bradders)
    Am Wochenende arbeite ich in einem Café in der Stadtmitte aber ich würde lieber in einem Büro arbeiten. Jeden Tag muß ich Kartoffeln schälen. Ich kann es nicht leiden! Ich muß auch den Boden kehren. Ich finde das sehr schwierig, weil der Boden immer schmutzig ist.

Am Samstag decke ich den Tisch und ich bereite das Essen zu. Wenn die Menschen großzügig sind, bekomme ich viel Trinkgeld und das gefällt mir.

Ich bekomme mit dem Chef nicht gut aus, weil er zu streng ist. Meiner Meinung nach ist er gemein aber ich muß Tee und Kaffee für ihn kochen. Ich finde das sehr eintönig!

Ich habe mich entschieden, im Jahre 2005, in der Oberstufe zu lernen, weil Mathe sehr wichtig ist. Ich finde es nicht sehr schwierig und ich bekomme immer gute Noten. Am liebsten würde ich ein Lehrer werden aber ich hoffe auch ins Ausland zu fahren. Es ware ganz gut, wenn ich im Ausland bei einer Firma arbeiten würde. Ich möchte nicht auf der Uni weiterstudieren, weil ich lieber eine Stelle finde und eine Menge Geld verdienen.
    However, at the weekend I work in a café in the center I would work rather in an office. Every day I must peel potatoes. I cannot stand it! I must also turn the ground(bottom). I find this very difficultly because the ground(bottom) is always dirty.
    On Saturday I cover the table and I prepare dinner. If the people(persons) are broadminded, I receive a lot of tip and this likes me.
    I agree with the chief not well from because he(it) is too severe. However, in my opinion he(it) is meanly I must cook tea and coffee for him. I find this very monotonously!
    I have decided to learn in 2005, in the upper stage because math is very important. I do not find it very difficultly and I receive always good marks(notes). Really I would become a teacher, however, I also hope abroad to go. It goods completely well if I worked abroad at a firm. I would not like to earn on the university weiterstudieren because I find rather a place and an amount of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Er Belgium has three languages, which you've also listed..........think you might be cheating , oh and I though Saudi used arabic?
    Many of you will be asking why I listed "Saudi Arabian" as a language. This can be explained by way of a simple fact. In Saudi Arabian 3 languages are spoken, and I know all three. I was simply trying to condence my vast knowledge, so not to overwhelm people on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    Many of you will be asking why I listed "Saudi Arabian" as a language. This can be explained by way of a simple fact. In Saudi Arabian 3 languages are spoken, and I know all three. I was simply trying to condence my vast knowledge, so not to overwhelm people on this forum.
    My my, you really are a cunning linguist.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.