V675 - Introduction of Customs, Excise and Marginal Duty to EU Imports Bill 2014 Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (4)
10.53%
Of the contrary, No (30)
78.95%
Abstain (4)
10.53%
This discussion is closed.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
V675 - Introduction of Customs, Excise and Marginal Duty to EU Imports Bill 2014, The Rt. Hon. Nebelbon MP

Introduction of Customs, Excise and Marginal Duty to EU Imports 2014

An Act to include any EU member country into the criteria for Customs Duty, Marginal Duty Charge and Excise Duty.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Duty free
(1) There will be no Duty free goods allowance between the UK and EU.
(2) A Marginal Duty Charge will be introduced at 1% duty on all items imported from the EU within the old .
(3) The Duty Free Allowance will be renamed to the Marginal Duty Allowance.
(4) The Quantity Restrictions of the Duty Free Allowance apply to the Marginal Duty Allowance.
(5)A 1% Marginal Duty Charge will be implemented on all items imported from the EU within the Marginal Duty Allowance.

2: Customs Duty
(1) Customs Duty shall now be applied to all goods imported by travelers from EU member states if the Marginal Duty allowance is exceeded.
(2) If goods are being posted to the UK, from an EU country, the sender only has to pay Customs Duty above a certain value.
(3) The percentage to pay shall be the same as for Non-EU countries.

3: Excise Duty
(1) Excise Duty shall now be applied to all goods imported by travelers from EU member states if the Marginal Duty allowance is exceeded.
(2)If goods are being posted to the UK, from an EU country, the sender only has to pay Excise Duty above a certain value.
(3) The percentage to pay shall be the same as for a Non-EU country.

4: Commencement, Short Title and Extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Introduction of Customs, Excise and Marginal Duty to EU Imports Act 2014.
(2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
(3) Shall come into force January 1st 2015.

5: Sources & Notes
(1) Customs Duty is a tax charged on importation of goods produced outside the European Union (EU).
(2) Excise Duty is a tax on certain goods such as alcohol and tobacco. When you buy excise goods in the UK the price you pay includes this tax.
(3) For all terms and purposes the Marginal Duty Allowance will have the same quantity restrictions.
(4)Customs duty - There are around 14,000 different classifications. The duty rate percentage for each may vary according to the country the goods come from. The average percentage is between 5% and 9%, but it can be as low as 0% or as high as 85%.
(5) Excise duty - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/alcohol-duty.htm
(6) Excise duty - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/tobacco-duty.htm
(7) http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm

Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'Nay'.

As a capitalist, this bill is an affront to my beliefs.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Quite simply, this will negatively impact on trade. Not something we should be supporting, regardless of party allegiances.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This went much better than i thought it would!

Someone other than myself voted 'Aye'!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
This went much better than i thought it would!

Someone other than myself voted 'Aye'!
2 commies and a fellow kipper.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
2 commies and a fellow kipper.
Haha.

I think maybe i should have made European countries pay more, for all the years that they've got away with not paying. I'm sure even more people would have loved it then :P
This Is Matt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A very interesting article was in the Economist yesterday. Britain has the world's most open economy. It's easier to invest in Britain or buy out a British firm than it is in any other country. As a result Britain's position in negotiating free trade deals is limited. The policy suggestion to strengthen Britain's economy was to create a tax haven, use protectionist policies to protect British businesses from foreign takeovers and implement a nominal duty rate on all non-essential goods imported into the UK. The idea being the nominal duty rate would be enough to negotiate over in free trade deals but not enough to have any affect on losing trade.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Ayes to the right: 4
The Noes to the left: 30
Abstentions: 4

So the Noes have it, the Noes have it. Unlock.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (23)
67.65%
No I haven't decided yet (5)
14.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
17.65%

Watched Threads