The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Accommodation

Hello, I will be attending Bradford University this up coming session and will be enrolled in foundation year clinical science. I was just wandering if it would be better to stay on campus or off campus? Any suggestions?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi im going to be a fresher too and im going to be staying off campus at arkwright hall simply because its cheaper and the halls have alot of other features which i really liked. Also accomodation outside the campus is just as nice ,you just have to find the right one so i would suggest looking at some before deciding (arkwright hall is really good lol) hope this helps!
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Hi, I'm going into my 3rd year now. I've stayed at the Green, Forster and I've booked Arkwright for next year.

I'd recommend being close to campus if you aren't on campus. Have a look at Forster, Arkwright, Wardley house, Kexgill (might have sold out though, there rooms go about a year in advance!), Campus House and Haria House/ Tower. Avoid Malik halls, they may be close but they are apparently rubbish. Last year the uni had to step in to make they keep on top of maintenance. There are a couple of other halls, but aren't that close to uni.
Original post by OneDayDoctor
Hi, I'm going into my 3rd year now. I've stayed at the Green, Forster and I've booked Arkwright for next year.

I'd recommend being close to campus if you aren't on campus. Have a look at Forster, Arkwright, Wardley house, Kexgill (might have sold out though, there rooms go about a year in advance!), Campus House and Haria House/ Tower. Avoid Malik halls, they may be close but they are apparently rubbish. Last year the uni had to step in to make they keep on top of maintenance. There are a couple of other halls, but aren't that close to uni.

What course are you studying? And what is it like living in bradford since i didnt get a chance to explore the city :smile:
Original post by Racheybabey21
What course are you studying? And what is it like living in bradford since i didnt get a chance to explore the city :smile:

Biomedical Sciences :smile:

I quite like Bradford, it's small and cheap! At least once a month there's some sort of event going off in City Park which gives the place quite a community feel. Most people are friendly and the city is improving due to a massive amount of investment over the last year. Next christmas a big shopping centre will open!

There's a free city bus which stops at the uni, train stations, Forster Square (which has a Tesco, Aldi and Farmfoods) and various places in the city centre. So you never need to pay for a taxi! Oastler and Kirkgate markets are open every day and have loads of interesting stalls in them. There's a small shopping centre (Kirkgate) which has a primark, new look etc. but if you're into shopping then it's better to have a trip to leeds. With a railcard it's about £4 return to leeds and Trinity centre is right outside the station :smile:

Bradford isn't great for night life apparently, although I'm not into clubbing and drinking so I can't really comment on that. Overall Bradford is a good place to live. It's obviously quite a poor city, but it's friendly and very cheap to live there!

Have you been to an open day? What course are you doing?
Biomedical Sciences :smile:

I quite like Bradford, it's small and cheap! At least once a month there's some sort of event going off in City Park which gives the place quite a community feel. Most people are friendly and the city is improving due to a massive amount of investment over the last year. Next christmas a big shopping centre will open!

There's a free city bus which stops at the uni, train stations, Forster Square (which has a Tesco, Aldi and Farmfoods) and various places in the city centre. So you never need to pay for a taxi! Oastler and Kirkgate markets are open every day and have loads of interesting stalls in them. There's a small shopping centre (Kirkgate) which has a primark, new look etc. but if you're into shopping then it's better to have a trip to leeds. With a railcard it's about £4 return to leeds and Trinity centre is right outside the station :smile:

Bradford isn't great for night life apparently, although I'm not into clubbing and drinking so I can't really comment on that. Overall Bradford is a good place to live. It's obviously quite a poor city, but it's friendly and very cheap to live there!

Have you been to an open day? What course are you doing?

I have been for an open day and really liked the uni. I will also be studying bio medical science if i get in:smile: is the course really hard? And what do you enjoy most about it?
I dont really drink either so im not bothered about nightlife but i do love to shop haha
Original post by Racheybabey21
I have been for an open day and really liked the uni. I will also be studying bio medical science if i get in:smile: is the course really hard? And what do you enjoy most about it?
I dont really drink either so im not bothered about nightlife but i do love to shop haha

Good choice of course :P Make sure you join BAHSS, the biomed society!

The course that you do will be slightly different to mine, my year was the last year to do the old layout. As far as I can see though, the only difference they've made is that you do 20 credit modules (whereas most of mine were 10). The content looks the same.

The course can be challenging if you don't keep up. On the whole the lecturers are all really good so just go to lectures and you'll be fine :smile: Make sure you stay on top of work and ask for help if you need it, you can always ask me :smile:

I really enjoy the content of the course, it's all up to date and everything seems to follow on well. The lectures are usually well delivered and the lecturers are really friendly and approachable. Labs are fun- your first labs will just be getting used to the equipment and things but after that you'll be using real lab processes. First year has some great labs including the find your own blood group one! The lab technicians are friendly and helpful, with one or two of them being slightly crazy- a common theme in Bradford! You'll have access to the anatomage suit which has a giant iPad like thing in it that's an electronic dissection table. If the projector's in the mood, you might even get it in 3D!

One downside is that we don't get past papers for exams like other unis. Each module will run a session or two on the exam, and have some example questions in the handbook, but that's it. It just means you can't try and second guess the questions and doesn't make much of a difference, but it is a bit of a shock from A level!

Do you have facebook? I can send you the first year timetable from this year if you want to see what your work load will be like and things. :smile:

The course that you do will be slightly different to mine, my year was the last year to do the old layout. As far as I can see though, the only difference they've made is that you do 20 credit modules (whereas most of mine were 10). The content looks the same.

The course can be challenging if you don't keep up. On the whole the lecturers are all really good so just go to lectures and you'll be fine :smile: Make sure you stay on top of work and ask for help if you need it, you can always ask me :smile:

I really enjoy the content of the course, it's all up to date and everything seems to follow on well. The lectures are usually well delivered and the lecturers are really friendly and approachable. Labs are fun- your first labs will just be getting used to the equipment and things but after that you'll be using real lab processes. First year has some great labs including the find your own blood group one! The lab technicians are friendly and helpful, with one or two of them being slightly crazy- a common theme in Bradford! You'll have access to the anatomage suit which has a giant iPad like thing in it that's an electronic dissection table. If the projector's in the mood, you might even get it in 3D!

One downside is that we don't get past papers for exams like other unis. Each module will run a session or two on the exam, and have some example questions in the handbook, but that's it. It just means you can't try and second guess the questions and doesn't make much of a difference, but it is a bit of a shock from A level!

Do you have facebook? I can send you the first year timetable from this year if you want to see what your work load will be like and things. :smile:

Thanks that would be great.. i sent u my facebook name in a private mesaage:smile:
I suggest you also checked this place: it is the cheapest in Bradford and looks pretty much the same as the others :http://www.universalstudentliving.com/properties/bradford/
Original post by davelan69
Hello, I will be attending Bradford University this up coming session and will be enrolled in foundation year clinical science. I was just wandering if it would be better to stay on campus or off campus? Any suggestions?

On campus was handy distance wise (but then again arkwright is like same distance really and haria house ). I was disappointed with the Green alot tbh.
I have just finished foundation year clin sci so PM me if you have any questions or want any advice/guidance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10

Hello. I am also going to be starting Biomedical Science at Bradford going into my 1st year. Please can you also send me the timetable and if you could also advice me whether I should revise my Alevels before the course starts. I got C's in all three of Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Also is there any recommended reading I should do before i start the course or any list of books you got given when you start the course for reference? Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending