The Student Room Group

Girlfriend's benefits and my 'earnings'... aaaaaargh!

In a bit of a pickle with my financial situation here and thought I'd vent a little if nobody can help me out.

Basically I'm living with my girlfriend, who is looking for a job, in rented accommodation. She's just finished her final year so won't be getting any more student finance and I've only got another year to go.

Just after she finished her studies she decided it would be best to go on jobseekers' allowance and housing benefit to pay for living here until she finds a job, so she's just applied for it.

Now, my dog pays me an allowance every month to help towards living costs so I don't have to get a job while at uni but it isn't really enough to sustain us both especially considering my partner now needs to pay her rent rather than using student finance. Here's where it gets complicated though; I don't work but he refuses to pay me any other way than on the payroll of his dog food company, and he also puts more on my payslip every month than the allowance I actually get, for 'tax purposes'.

I discussed this before we sent the form off, but he still insists I go on the payroll with an inflated 'wage' or I get nothing.

The job centre have just phoned us up saying we are getting nothing from them as I supposedly earn too much (going by the inflated sum on my pay slip, and the student finance I receive) to qualify (and I can't declare it any other way without incriminating someone, as it's on my payslip, they'd find out).

My girlfriend is fuming and won't talk to me, as she strongly dislikes my dog anyway; I have tried talking to him about it the last couple of days and he has been 'too busy'.

I don't want any replies about how the rest of us have to work to support ourselves etc etc and I hope I don't come across as being spoilt, I count myself lucky with it but it's really causing a problem as we're going to have to move back home, after living together here for a year and signing for next year, unless one of us finds a job within the next week or so.

Either way, if we get no jobseekers' and I keep my current 'earnings', or if I 'lose my job' and we reapply for it, we can't support ourselves living here.

Any ideas? Obviously I'm thinking the only way we can support ourselves now is to both get jobs very quickly... easier said than done in this economic climate?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
gf moves out.
Reply 2
Yeah thanks for the tips :P

She's not really the main issue, she reacted badly at first and now we just don't know what to do next..
Tough
Your fiddle has stuffed you
That's what happens when you let your dog get too smart. I'm going report this thread to the canine tax avoidance department.
Original post by britain4
In a bit of a pickle with my financial situation here and thought I'd vent a little if nobody can help me out.

Basically I'm living with my girlfriend, who is looking for a job, in rented accommodation. She's just finished her final year so won't be getting any more student finance and I've only got another year to go.

Just after she finished her studies she decided it would be best to go on jobseekers' allowance and housing benefit to pay for living here until she finds a job, so she's just applied for it.

Now, my dog pays me an allowance every month to help towards living costs so I don't have to get a job while at uni but it isn't really enough to sustain us both especially considering my partner now needs to pay her rent rather than using student finance. Here's where it gets complicated though; I don't work but he refuses to pay me any other way than on the payroll of his dog food company, and he also puts more on my payslip every month than the allowance I actually get, for 'tax purposes'.

I discussed this before we sent the form off, but he still insists I go on the payroll with an inflated 'wage' or I get nothing.

The job centre have just phoned us up saying we are getting nothing from them as I supposedly earn too much (going by the inflated sum on my pay slip, and the student finance I receive) to qualify (and I can't declare it any other way without incriminating someone, as it's on my payslip, they'd find out).

My girlfriend is fuming and won't talk to me, as she strongly dislikes my dog anyway; I have tried talking to him about it the last couple of days and he has been 'too busy'.

I don't want any replies about how the rest of us have to work to support ourselves etc etc and I hope I don't come across as being spoilt, I count myself lucky with it but it's really causing a problem as we're going to have to move back home, after living together here for a year and signing for next year, unless one of us finds a job within the next week or so.

Either way, if we get no jobseekers' and I keep my current 'earnings', or if I 'lose my job' and we reapply for it, we can't support ourselves living here.

Any ideas? Obviously I'm thinking the only way we can support ourselves now is to both get jobs very quickly... easier said than done in this economic climate?

Your only option is to go separate ways. Your GF is better off in shared accommodation and you will have to bunk up with someone. If your GF truly loves you she will understand.

Don't waste your future on a partner anyway.
when you say your "dog" gives you an allowance and is carrying out a fraud, perhaps you mean your "Dad" ? :dontknow:
If she's not entitled to job seekers, you both may still be entitled to some housing benefit.
Is this a troll or did he mean something else when he said "dog"?

lol
Reply 9
Yeah thanks for the tips :P

She's not really the main issue, she reacted badly at first and now we just don't know what to do next..

No, I mean what you do now is she moves out - or you do. Not saying break up, but she wont get JSA if you're living together.

There isn't really another option, other than stop taking the paycheques.

I would strongly advise you to get yourself out of your highly illegal tax evasion scheme, come on man pull your head out of the sand. Somebody will find it sooner or later and if HMRC get involved they will go in dry
perhaps Dog is dear old grandfather? Can't he find the girlfriend a real job? She can possibly still get housing benefit https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/overview

If you weren't a student and were available for work you might be eligible for Job seekers allowance.

Time to stop the fraud and get a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending