Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    like all i got my results on thursday (as level)
    Biology- d
    chemistry- c (1 mark of a b)
    physics-d
    eng- b

Here are my mod scores:
    bio, 38/90 (e) , 56/90 (c), 73/120 (c)
    chem, 72/120 (c), 69/60 (b), 68/90 (b)
    eng lang, 84/105 (a), 84/105 (a) 62/90 (c)
    physcis- 45/90 (d), 65/90 (b), 62/120 (d)

I wasnt that happy with my results at first but when I looked through my results sheet, it wasnt that bad because on biology i had c,c,e and on physics i had b,d,d. Plus my eng i had 2 as and a c and chem bbc. So in general i did fairly well on all modules bar 1 where I did poor on a module.

I want to do pharmacy and my mum has been having a go at me. She says I wont be able to get into uni with these crap as levels. Also i onli got cc at gcse science which she keeps telling me about.

I said to her, ok but im resitting and im sure i can work harder and boost grades up as I will only have to concentrate on 1 module. She says resits mean unis reject you.

I'm so worried and in a state, any advice out there?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, don't worry, you have lots of time, and judging by your module grades only a few unit retakes will boost your grade considerably.

Vis a vis university, you can get into some universities with those grades, and most if you boost your grades by 1 each. Pharmacy wise, it will be useful to boost chemistry to a 'b' or an 'a', be advised that with a tough A2 year this is not easy to do.

Most universities don't rely solely on grades, extra-curriculars and the personal statement can prove as effective as grades.

Certainly not the end of the world.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Unis don't like it if you take a year out to resit. If you resit alongside your A Levels, that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    If you're weaker in science I wouldn't advise a science based degree. You got a fab result in English - how about something more literary maybe?

Have a look at some Uni prospectuses/websites and see what the required grades are for Pharmacy - here are some examples from Bath, UEA and Bradford:

University of Bath: "Our basic entrance requirement for either Pharmacy or Pharmacology is three subjects at GCE A/A2 Level (not including General Studies), plus grades A-C in GCSE English and Mathematics. Chemistry A/A2 Level at grade B or better is essential. Our preferred A/A2 Level combination is Chemistry with any two of Physics, a Mathematics subject or a Biological subject. Combinations which include Chemistry, one of the above "science" subjects and a third subject are also acceptable"

University of East Anglia: "A-level (typical offer) ABB (Chemistry is required together with one other science subject from mathematics, biology, physics)"

University of Bradford: Pharmacy (both programmes) 280 points
    Including a minimum of 100 points (grade B) at GCE advanced level in chemistry and, if only two sciences are offered, the second science must be biology. The third subject may be a non-science but we do not accept General Studies. Candidates must also hold GCSE mathematics and English at a minimum of grade C.

When you apply to Uni, you don't have to admit the results you got for AS on the UCAS form itself (my school told us all to say that the grades were being confirmed and certificated in '06, so no AS modules were visible on the form). Obviously, your school needs to predict you grades and they'll see those, but there's no need for resits to affect your application. I resat two English modules that were low A's to make them higher A's and that didn't stop me getting an interviews everywhere I applied.

The only University that would see your UMS module scores is Cambridge, as you have to declare all UMS scores on their CAF application form...

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Unis don't like it if you take a year out to resit. If you resit alongside your A Levels, that's fine.
    im not plannin on taking a year out, i just want to boost my grades up to b and as, i just hope unis dont mind?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by morgo)
    im not plannin on taking a year out, i just want to boost my grades up to b and as, i just hope unis dont mind?
    Exactly, then they don't mind :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelharpist)
    If you're weaker in science I wouldn't advise a science based degree. You got a fab result in English - how about something more literary maybe?

Have a look at some Uni prospectuses/websites and see what the required grades are for Pharmacy - here are some examples from Bath, UEA and Bradford:

University of Bath: "Our basic entrance requirement for either Pharmacy or Pharmacology is three subjects at GCE A/A2 Level (not including General Studies), plus grades A-C in GCSE English and Mathematics. Chemistry A/A2 Level at grade B or better is essential. Our preferred A/A2 Level combination is Chemistry with any two of Physics, a Mathematics subject or a Biological subject. Combinations which include Chemistry, one of the above "science" subjects and a third subject are also acceptable"

University of East Anglia: "A-level (typical offer) ABB (Chemistry is required together with one other science subject from mathematics, biology, physics)"

University of Bradford: Pharmacy (both programmes) 280 points
    Including a minimum of 100 points (grade B) at GCE advanced level in chemistry and, if only two sciences are offered, the second science must be biology. The third subject may be a non-science but we do not accept General Studies. Candidates must also hold GCSE mathematics and English at a minimum of grade C.

When you apply to Uni, you don't have to admit the results you got for AS on the UCAS form itself (my school told us all to say that the grades were being confirmed and certificated in '06, so no AS modules were visible on the form). Obviously, your school needs to predict you grades and they'll see those, but there's no need for resits to affect your application. I resat two English modules that were low A's to make them higher A's and that didn't stop me getting an interviews everywhere I applied.

The only University that would see your UMS module scores is Cambridge, as you have to declare all UMS scores on their CAF application form...

Hope this helps

thanks for your time in order to help me. very appreicated. that goes for all that have replied so far. I know i did well in english but i really would like to do pharmacy and I would like to prove my mum wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgo)
    thanks for your time in order to help me. very appreicated. that goes for all that have replied so far. I know i did well in english but i really would like to do pharmacy and I would like to prove my mum wrong.
    You need to do what you want, not your mum or anyone else. Keep at it mate.

ReputationRep:

so can i have bio, chem and eng or do I have to have physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IainM)
    You need to do what you want, not your mum or anyone else. Keep at it mate.
    yer wel in all honesty ive wanted to do pharmacy for a long time. what do u make of my module scores

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Exactly, then they don't mind :rolleyes:
    gdgd, thats basically what i want to know because im not that bad. i mean my chem is 1 of a b, and my bio has only dipped because of module 1. i just thought if i dont declare my grades it will look really bad for unis who see my application and they will just give me no offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgo)
    yer wel in all honesty ive wanted to do pharmacy for a long time. what do u make of my module scores
    Well if you resit 1 bio and 1 chem module then you can boost to BBC, average/good grades certainly good enough for mid-range university.

ReputationRep:
    thanks mate, you made me feel a lot better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgo)
    gdgd, thats basically what i want to know because im not that bad. i mean my chem is 1 of a b, and my bio has only dipped because of module 1. i just thought if i dont declare my grades it will look really bad for unis who see my application and they will just give me no offers.
    Wrooooong! :tongue:

As I said before, I didn't declare my grades and still got into 5 out of the 6 Universities I applied to: King's College London, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, Royal Holloway. The only place that turned me down was Cambridge but hey, in all honesty I didn't really wanna go there...

As long as you have a really really solid PS and a very complimentary reference from your school then you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    o ok thanks a lot, can you see my questions regarding subjects please. just want a bit of clarification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgo)
    thanks mate, you made me feel a lot better
    No worries, i know how you feel, I got a d in chemistry AS, but got into UCL to read Natural Sciences. A2 is far more important than AS,.

You need to work your arse off though!

ReputationRep:
    yer i will aswell. can you answer my questions possibly regarding subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgo)

so can i have bio, chem and eng or do I have to have physics
    They say that they'd prefer it if you did Chemistry, Maths or Biology and Physics, but it's alright to do Chemistry, Biology/Maths and English.

To be honest, I'd drop your lowest scoring subject and do English - it might not be quite what the Universities want, but it'll give you a higher set of predicted grades most likely, and that'll attract the attention of better universities...

ReputationRep:
    Can someone elaborate on this "they don't like it if you take a year out to resit" business?
    I'm applying post A-level in a month and am having a gap year, and decided when I got my results that I'd like to resit a module to get the 4 marks for an A in English Lit... surely they won't frown upon this?
    I already have 3 As, I'm just doing the resit for myself (perfectionist... though it does feel worse doing a resit after the A2 results... I did one in Spanish this year and that's it, I'd probably have an A now if I'd resat an AS English module in January... so what's the difference?). :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelharpist)
    They say that they'd prefer it if you did Chemistry, Maths or Biology and Physics, but it's alright to do Chemistry, Biology/Maths and English.

To be honest, I'd drop your lowest scoring subject and do English - it might not be quite what the Universities want, but it'll give you a higher set of predicted grades most likely, and that'll attract the attention of better universities...
    oh no, im keeping english, i just wanted to know if chem, bio and eng was sufficient.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.