Would it be worth it??? Hard disk question Watch

hate_xams
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Would it be worth getting an ethernet disk instead of just an external hard disk??

At the minute I have 3 computers on my network, two normal desktops and a mac mini. They are also sharing a printer, but it requires the computer it is connected to to be on to use it.

The mac is rapidly running out of space on the hard drive, so I was going to buy an external hard drive to give myself extra space, was going to get the 250gb Western Digital My Book Pro, and just plug it into the mac via firewire.

Now I have noticed the Netcentre range of ethernet drives made by WD, information here: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/produ...51&language=en

This would solve another problem, as that drive has a built in print server, which would mean you could always print to the printer instead of having to turn the other computer on, as it is old and slow.

Would it be worth paying a little extra for this instead of this one:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/produ...42&language=en

Either way I am going to get one with 250gb of storage at least.

What does everyone think?
leoh187
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Hi

In my opinion it mainly depends on what you are going to use the hard drive for??
If for example you are planning to use it for video editing or other high bandwidth tasks, I would not suggest using a network hard drive.

However if you are going to be using the hard drive to simply store files and would like to have access from the other computers. The network hard drive will be your easiest option.

If you need anymore help, dont hesitate to ask.

Leo
hate_xams
Rep:
?
It will mainly be used for storing music etc on, and backing up files on the other 3 computers, thats why I thought a network one might be better.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hate_xams)
It will mainly be used for storing music etc on, and backing up files on the other 3 computers, thats why I thought a network one might be better.
NAS is a good option if you want to use it to back stuff up to/share across a network.
The obvious benefit is that it's always on and you aren't carting a drive around all the time.
hate_xams
Rep:
?
Right thanks guys, probably going for the network one instead then, should be more useful I think, plus lets me share peripherals etc, which is always good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise