P3 GCSE Edexcel Physics Extension Unit

Watch
jillifish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
'sini / sinr = constant' what does this mean? (page 191 in the green text book)
Marcusroye98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im not sure but sin i is the angle of incidence and sin r is the angle of reflection
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It gives you the value of the refractive index

Posted from TSR Mobile
jillifish
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingaaran)
It gives you the value of the refractive index

Posted from TSR Mobile
refractive index of what? the material the ray is going into or from?
jillifish
Rep:
?
e is the charge on an electron in the equation:
KE=eV
e = 1.6x10-19C
will this number be given to us in the question? (its not in the formula page with the equation.
crashMATHS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jillifish)
refractive index of what? the material the ray is going into or from?
The formula comes from Snell's Law:

\frac{Nr}{Ni} = \frac{sin i}{sin r}

Nr = this is the refractive index of the substance that light is going into.
Ni = this is the refractive index of the substance that light is coming out of, before it enters the refractive medium.
I = incident Ray angle
R = refractive Ray angle.

The equation in your book omits the denominator on the left hand side of the equation, because you'll get examples of going from air into something. Since the refractive index of air is 1, you're simply left with

Nr = \frac{sin i}{sin r}

Hence, the formula will give you the refractive index of the medium that the light is entering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
crashMATHS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
KE=eV
e = 1.6x10-19C
will this number be given to us in the question? (its not in the formula page with the equation.
I have seen that number on A Level Physics Formula sheets, so I'm sure they wouldn't be expecting you to remember that. Youshould be getting that in the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jillifish
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingaaran)
The formula comes from Snell's Law:

\frac{Nr}{Ni} = \frac{sin i}{sin r}

Nr = this is the refractive index of the substance that light is going into.
Ni = this is the refractive index of the substance that light is coming out of, before it enters the refractive medium.
I = incident Ray angle
R = refractive Ray angle.

The equation in your book omits the denominator on the left hand side of the equation, because you'll get examples of going from air into something. Since the refractive index of air is 1, you're simply left with

Nr = \frac{sin i}{sin r}

Hence, the formula will give you the refractive index of the medium that the light is entering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thankyou!
Marcusroye98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can someone explain the critical angle and total internal reflection?
TJHughes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
KE=eV
e = 1.6x10-19C
My teacher said it is very probable that it won't as the examiners have said that they will not include things that "the students should know given they are working at a further additional level" so learn it to be safe
Knee Grow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TJHughes)
My teacher said it is very probable that it won't as the examiners have said that they will not include things that "the students should know given they are working at a further additional level" so learn it to be safe
KE=eV
e = 1.6x10-19C
I think your teacher is just trying to scare you, because if the number is given at A Level then I'd expect it to be given at GCSE.

Oh, and the number has a negative in front of it btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
TJHughes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
does anyone have access to the P3 specimen paper??
TJHughes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Found it! http://www.wimbledoncollege.org.uk/W...20and%20MS.pdf
jillifish
Rep:
?
i can only find two past papers for this exam: the SAM and June 2013.
are there any more that we have access to?

:iiam:
Saywhat123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How's everyone feeling about this exam ? I think it's defo the hardest.
Thomith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Marcusroye98)
Can someone explain the critical angle and total internal reflection?
The critical angle is the angle that the angle of incidence (the ray of light entering the prism/medium) needs to be so any rays of light that exit the medium do so at the boundary (90 degrees) to the medium.

Total internal reflection occurs when the angle of incidence is GREATER than the critical angle, and it is when the ray of light hits the boundary and all of it is reflected back (none of it exits the boundary) resulting in all the light to be internally reflected (used for optical fibres which are used in endoscopes and some communications technology)
Marcusroye98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
THANK-YOU I am really confused, do you know the calculation to work out the focal length ( 1/f = 1/u +1v) does it have to be in cm or m?
KaylaB
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i can only find two past papers for this exam: the SAM and June 2013.
are there any more that we have access to?

:iiam:
There's June 2013, Sample Assessment Material and Additional Sample Assessment Material, this should be on Edexcel's website? My teacher just printed them all out for me, with the SAMs the mark schemes are at the back. Good luck

**Edit**
I found just found the link for it online, couldn't find it on Edexcel's website.
core.physicsinfo.co.uk/download.php?file=2162
Angelo12231
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
THANK-YOU I am really confused, do you know the calculation to work out the focal length ( 1/f = 1/u +1v) does it have to be in cm or m?
that depends if the answer units are CM or M... If the question is in M but the answer space has CM then you convert. If the question has M and the answer space has M then you just work it out... no conversion
Thomith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Basically what angelo said, i don't believe it matters so long as you use the same unit throughout the equation. i usually convert to meters though but that is just my personal preference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (110)
28.21%
No (280)
71.79%

Watched Threads