Turn on thread page Beta

F336 OCR B Chemistry 2014-15 Individual Investigation watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering which A2 individual investigations people have chosen in the past and which ones you'd recommend.

This is the list of possible investigations that my college provided me with, so let me know which ones you think would be easiest / most fun. Feel free to post any of your own questions about the A2 coursework, since there aren't many other threads for this exam board (OCR B Salters):

Kinetics of the Harcourt Essen reaction
    Kinetics of the reaction between bromide, bromate and hydrogen ions
    Kinetics of the reaction between iodide and persulfate ions
    Kinetics of the reaction between propanone and iodine in acid solution
    Kinetics of the reaction between magnesium and acids
    Kinetics of the catalytic decomposition of hydrogen peroxide
    Comparison of the techniques available to assessing the purity of aspirin made in the lab. From salicylic acid
    Comparison of the methods used to follow acid/base reactions
    Investigating the rate of hydrolysis of organic halogen compounds
    The Freundlich adsorption isotherm
    The amount of copper in brass
    Hydrolysis of esters
    How effective are different types of ion exchange resins in reducing hardness of water
    How effective are different commercial water softening materials in reducing hardness of water
    Solubility product of potassium hydrogen tartrate

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide one, and really struggling with it! If anyone has any tips I'd be so grateful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah_Tomkins)
    I'm doing the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide one, and really struggling with it! If anyone has any tips I'd be so grateful!
    I'm doing the kinetics between iodine and propanonen but on pages 216 and 218 in Chem Ideas there's diagrams of the apparatus used for the decomposition of H2O2.
    I also managed to find full coursework exemplars on scribd so it's worth checking there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    Just wondering which A2 individual investigations people have chosen in the past and which ones you'd recommend.

This is the list of possible investigations that my college provided me with, so let me know which ones you think would be easiest / most fun. Feel free to post any of your own questions about the A2 coursework, since there aren't many other threads for this exam board (OCR B Salters):

Kinetics of the Harcourt Essen reaction
    Kinetics of the reaction between bromide, bromate and hydrogen ions
    Kinetics of the reaction between iodide and persulfate ions
    Kinetics of the reaction between propanone and iodine in acid solution
    Kinetics of the reaction between magnesium and acids
    Kinetics of the catalytic decomposition of hydrogen peroxide
    Comparison of the techniques available to assessing the purity of aspirin made in the lab. From salicylic acid
    Comparison of the methods used to follow acid/base reactions
    Investigating the rate of hydrolysis of organic halogen compounds
    The Freundlich adsorption isotherm
    The amount of copper in brass
    Hydrolysis of esters
    How effective are different types of ion exchange resins in reducing hardness of water
    How effective are different commercial water softening materials in reducing hardness of water
    Solubility product of potassium hydrogen tartrate
    I chose the reaction between iodine and propanone. The experiment itself wasn't too bad, and I didn't have to do much planning for myself because the exact same experiment is nicely written out in the "Chemistry A2 Data and Practical Worksheets" booklet.

From my experience, the coursework shouldn't be too difficult - it's just very tedious and time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanra)
    I chose the reaction between iodine and propanone. The experiment itself wasn't too bad, and I didn't have to do much planning for myself because the exact same experiment is nicely written out in the "Chemistry A2 Data and Practical Worksheets" booklet.

From my experience, the coursework shouldn't be too difficult - it's just very tedious and time consuming.
    I'm doing the same one and had to plan it over the summer but I don't have that booklet yet. Is it helpful? And what grade did you get for it if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm finding the orders of reaction with respect to iodine, propanone and sulfuric acid and then finding the activation enthalpy when the solution takes place at different temperatures. Is this similar to what you investigated?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same one and had to plan it over the summer but I don't have that booklet yet. Is it helpful? And what grade did you get for it if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm finding the orders of reaction with respect to iodine, propanone and sulfuric acid and then finding the activation enthalpy when the solution takes place at different temperatures. Is this similar to what you investigated?
    That booklet is the one of the school ones - it contains all the practicals you do for the course. It was helpful for getting me started and for figuring out which concentrations of each reactant to use, but I did have to change bits of the procedure because of time constraints. I think I ended up with 41/45 in the end, which is an borderline A/A*.

My college advised us to have four aims, so I investigated the effect of concentration on rate (which you'll have to do anyway to find orders of reaction), effect of temperature, activation enthalpy and effect of different catalysts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanra)
    That booklet is the one of the school ones - it contains all the practicals you do for the course. It was helpful for getting me started and for figuring out which concentrations of each reactant to use, but I did have to change bits of the procedure because of time constraints. I think I ended up with 41/45 in the end, which is an borderline A/A*.

My college advised us to have four aims, so I investigated the effect of concentration on rate (which you'll have to do anyway to find orders of reaction), effect of temperature, activation enthalpy and effect of different catalysts.
    Four Aims? I don't even know where to start! :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the kinetics between iodine and propanonen but on pages 216 and 218 in Chem Ideas there's diagrams of the apparatus used for the decomposition of H2O2.
    I also managed to find full coursework exemplars on scribd so it's worth checking there!
    Thanks! That's great! Really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah_Tomkins)
    Four Aims? I don't even know where to start! :/
    I don't know anything about the hydrogen peroxide experiment, but all of the rate ones are similar in terms of what to investigate. It's always going to be concentration, temperature, catalysts and activation enthalpy.

Bear in mind, the practical skills and aims will be related to things that you have learnt or will learn from the course - no one is expecting you to go out and spend hours reading research papers to come up with original ideas. Look through the kinetics section of Chemical Ideas and see what you can apply to your experiment

ReputationRep:
    if I do the iodine and propanone one would the title just be "Kinetics of the reaction between propanone and iodine in acid solution" and what pages of chemical ideas link to that topic?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the Bromate (V), Bromide and Hydrogen ions... How do you make the solutions needed?:/

ReputationRep:
    Our college has said that there is not extension to our deadline (tomorrow) for the background research and experiment plans because it is a deadline set by the exam board- this doesn't seem true because surely all schools are doing theirs at different times of this year. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this or would I get away with it being a day late?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, when do you guy's have to give your finished investigation in by? My deadline is the 6th of Feb but was thinking f asking for more time if other schools had a later deadline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by singh2)
    Hi, when do you guy's have to give your finished investigation in by? My deadline is the 6th of Feb but was thinking f asking for more time if other schools had a later deadline
    Mine's the 13th of Feb

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing the 'kinetics of the reaction between iodide and persulfate ions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatherdougal)
    Mine's the 13th of Feb
    Aah ok, its just that most people in my year doing chemistry have left it till the last 2 weeks to do the analysis+evaluation so it's not looking like a fun fortnight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chococup123)
    Anyone doing the 'kinetics of the reaction between iodide and persulfate ions?
    Hey
    I am, struggling with it alot though how about you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the reaction between iodine and propanone, anyone else?
    Doing the coursework is soul crushing, I much prefer exams.

ReputationRep:
    This is the one I ended up choosing too. I didn't realise how many calculations were involved and I don't do maths
    Are you doing your graphs by hand? And what filter did you use? I used 470nm but I looked at coursework examples where they were using filters a lot lower than 470nm and had better looking results

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2016

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.