The Student Room Group

Advice on applying for architecture in 2015

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice on applying to study architecture in 2015. I am currently planning on applying to Sheffield, Oxford Brookes, Kent and Westminster and I am yet to decide on my fifth choice University and finished my A level exams yesterday.

I studied Spanish, Photography and Physics at A level and have already put together a personal statement which my head of Sixth form said was very strong. Photography was an Edexcel Level 3 BTEC (or something along those lines). I have checked and all the universities above it accept it as equivalent to an A level. I got a Distinction * grade in it, which is equivalent to an A*. I am predicted A* for Spanish and judging by the exam I think that I have achieved either this or an A grade. However, in terms of physics I was predicted a B. Although I put a lot of work into getting a B, the exams this year were a little different in format and I may be, judging by unofficial mark schemes, about 6 or 7 UMS off a B. I have read that top universities are very against accepting students with C grades and also don't like students who retake modules, which may limit what Universities I can apply to.

In my gap year I will be working full time in an architectural practice, where I have been working part time for the last year. I carry out similar tasks to those done by Part 1 assistants in the office on Revit and AutoCAD.

My question really is whether it would be worth applying to the Universities above with D*,A*, C and significant work experience, and if this would be taken into account with my application or whether I should look at other Universities instead. My friend received a conditional offer from Sheffield of AAB for architecture, which I would only be potentially 6 UMS from achieving but I would need to retake a module which according to the University's FAQ section 'would not be looked upon favorably by the admissions team'.

Thankyou for reading. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending