What can I major in/study with my subject combination? Watch

pbunny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm thinking of applying mainly to the US but I may also apply to unis in London (LSE, UCL, Kings, Queens). My subject combination is as follows:

HL Psychology
HL Biology
HL Economics
SL Maths
SL English L&L
SL Spanish Ab initio

Thanks for the suggestions!
Alunzar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey!

In the UK, a lot of students tend to follow one of their highers or something related to their higher subjects at undergraduate level. The majority of the time, UK universities expect for you to have a higher level in the subject you want to study at university. For example, I'm going to be studying English Lit and, as an entry requirement, my university asked for me to have English Literature at HL in the IB. You can find out pretty much any UK universities entry requirements by visiting UCAS.com and using their search engine.

With your combination of subjects, I'm guessing you find the social sciences/sciences of particular interest. If you did want to follow a science route at university, your higher level biology would come in handy. However, it is often required that you have two sciences at higher level and not all universities regard psychology as a second science. So make sure you check this out if you do want to study a science.

In terms of social sciences, your combination is very good! You could probably easily get onto a good Economics course because of your HL in the subject and the fact you have some maths background with your SL. You would more than likely be accepted onto many psychology courses as well. Not only do you have the subject at Higher level but you also have Biology HL to back up your knowledge

A course that many people do not consider when applying for university is that of PPE. PPE stands for Politics, Philosophy and Economics and is a great course if you wanted to work in government. I'm not sure on the exact requirements but your higher level Economics and your TOK might help you out here.

Hopefully you will find my information/opinions really useful. Another way to decide a major is by asking yourself "What do I like to study?" Deciding a major can be as simple as that really; you are committing the next couple of years of your life to your studies so you want to enjoy it as much as possible

Hope this helps
pbunny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Alunzar)
Hey!

In the UK, a lot of students tend to follow one of their highers or something related to their higher subjects at undergraduate level. The majority of the time, UK universities expect for you to have a higher level in the subject you want to study at university. For example, I'm going to be studying English Lit and, as an entry requirement, my university asked for me to have English Literature at HL in the IB. You can find out pretty much any UK universities entry requirements by visiting UCAS.com and using their search engine.

With your combination of subjects, I'm guessing you find the social sciences/sciences of particular interest. If you did want to follow a science route at university, your higher level biology would come in handy. However, it is often required that you have two sciences at higher level and not all universities regard psychology as a second science. So make sure you check this out if you do want to study a science.

In terms of social sciences, your combination is very good! You could probably easily get onto a good Economics course because of your HL in the subject and the fact you have some maths background with your SL. You would more than likely be accepted onto many psychology courses as well. Not only do you have the subject at Higher level but you also have Biology HL to back up your knowledge

A course that many people do not consider when applying for university is that of PPE. PPE stands for Politics, Philosophy and Economics and is a great course if you wanted to work in government. I'm not sure on the exact requirements but your higher level Economics and your TOK might help you out here.

Hopefully you will find my information/opinions really useful. Another way to decide a major is by asking yourself "What do I like to study?" Deciding a major can be as simple as that really; you are committing the next couple of years of your life to your studies so you want to enjoy it as much as possible

Hope this helps
Thanks for the response. I was actually looking at PPE courses and well it seems like HL maths is recommended (but this isn't explicitly stated) but LSE definitely requires HL Maths (as well a 7 :eek:) for politics and economics, economics, and philosophy and economics so applying there is out of the question for any of those courses. However, I wouldn't have an issue getting into all the other available courses.

I know it's quite simple to choose but I'm having an extremely rough time choosing. My favourite subjects so far have been maths (by far), biology, economics and chemistry (hated last year but have come to love it this year, weird I know :P). The issue I've read about majoring in something science related other than engineering/maths is that job prospects are low (+poor salaries) if you don't get a Ph.D or go to medical/dental/pharmacy etc school, none of which I plan to do. So i've indefinitely crossed out majoring in anything science related although I am considering maths since I've loved it for so long. And from what i've read about social science majors (psychology, sociology, anthropolgy, history, politics, economics etc) it doesn't seem all that good either. Some of the things I've mentioned like anthropology, psychology and economics truly interest me but I don't know if they the best things to major in (with the exception of economics) since my parents expect me to enter some lucrative career (no pressure). They keep on pushing me to major in something like accounting and finance because the money is great and jobs are quite stable. Honestly though they sound extremely BORING I just can't fathom studying that for 4 years at university let alone going down that career path my entire life My main issue is I can't decide between going with majors that pay well or going with those that I enjoy more but probably won't lead me to a good career/job (unless ofcourse I get into top tier universities - planning to though).

The best thing about all this though is the fact that I can apply to American universities undecided and can decide on what I'd like to major in after taking several classes at university. Also, hopefully my new school's counselor will help me decide on what career path I should follow because I am tres tres confused.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads