The Student Room Group

CURRENT STUDENT - Economics at uni of nottingham - ask me something.

Scroll to see replies

Very helpful thread! A big THANK YOU for the insight. My son is interested in going to Nottingham (though has been advised by his teachers to apply to Cambirdge). Others being considered (other than Warwick,/LSE) are Bath, Nottingham, Surrey, Exeter, Southampton etc He has only been studying Economics for a year but has really got into it (school prize for best economist in year group). Stong in Maths so likes applied Ecomonics (was impressed with Bath). Nottingham very tempting because he is a good table tnenis player. The hours you work concern me. We are a low income family and whilst I fully appreciate university is all about self-study £45,000 of debt isn't worth it for a library poass, so I have a very direct question. Do the lectures expalin things well? If you are just quiet and concientious (but not outstanding) do you pick up all the essentials from the lecturers or some not very good at explaining things. In hindsight which modules would you choose in each Year? Whilst I commend your hard work, 6.00am until 10.00pm sounds excessive hours (unless the last weke before the finals). IF you had your time again, which subject would you apply for at university and which 5 would you put on your UXAS form
Reply 261
What should i study if i want to prepare for the maths part of economics before I go ?
how likely for an offer with AAA predicted grades? I have done quite a lot of volunteering (although not that relevent for econmics)and I feel I have a decent personal statement - rly feel like I won't get in because of not having A*AA prediction
Original post by Relaxxx
how likely for an offer with AAA predicted grades? I have done quite a lot of volunteering (although not that relevent for econmics)and I feel I have a decent personal statement - rly feel like I won't get in because of not having A*AA prediction

Yes you should get an offer of AAA anyways.
How's the nightlife?
Hi! I went to the open day and I lived the uni! I'm thinking of doing economics there but I may not continue to do maths a level during my second year because my as grade wasn't too great but I got good grades in my other subject. Do u think I still have a shot at applying without a level maths?
Original post by Michimimi
Hi! I went to the open day and I lived the uni! I'm thinking of doing economics there but I may not continue to do maths a level during my second year because my as grade wasn't too great but I got good grades in my other subject. Do u think I still have a shot at applying without a level maths?

You don't need A Level Maths so if you've got a bad AS Level grade - drop the subject.

I got GCSE A grade Maths but didnt want to do A Level Maths and I'm now at Nottingham.

I studied Business, Economics and Finance and got A*AA at A Level.
Original post by mattymoo432
You don't need A Level Maths so if you've got a bad AS Level grade - drop the subject.

I got GCSE A grade Maths but didnt want to do A Level Maths and I'm now at Nottingham.

I studied Business, Economics and Finance and got A*AA at A Level.

I emailed Nottingham and they replied saying that they expect a minimum of C in maths at AS but I got a D
I emailed Nottingham and they replied saying that they expect a minimum of C in maths at AS but I got a D

Did you get an A grade in GCSE Maths?
Did you get an A grade in GCSE Maths?

I got an A* in gcse maths and further maths. I even emailed her saying that hoping that I'd make up for the D
I think you'll be okay. I didnt even do AS Level Maths and got in
I got an A* in gcse maths and further maths. I even emailed her saying that hoping that I'd make up for the D

What other subjects are you doing and what did you get for AS in those other subjects?
What other subjects are you doing and what did you get for AS in those other subjects?

I'm doing economics and history and psychology. Got an A in economics and history and a B in psychology
I'm doing economics and history and psychology. Got an A in economics and history and a B in psychology

That's great. Nottingham look highly upon humanities subjects
Do you need maths a level to study economics at Nottingham, I am hopeing for 3 A's, I'm doing economics, biology and geography and I got an 8 (A* equivalent) at GCSE. Many thanks
Original post by c0n0r0612
Do you need maths a level to study economics at Nottingham, I am hopeing for 3 A's, I'm doing economics, biology and geography and I got an 8 (A* equivalent) at GCSE. Many thanks

Nope, but you won't be able to do econometrics I think.
Original post by c0n0r0612

I haven't got A Level Maths and I've got a place.

Just a GCSE grade A in Maths is all that's required.
I've been given an offer for AAA for BSc Econ. Have you heard any stories of people missing their grades but still being allowed onto the course?
Original post by rockytrolly
I've been given an offer for AAA for BSc Econ. Have you heard any stories of people missing their grades but still being allowed onto the course?

No. They are very strict with entry requirements. You are lucky to have AAA offer as many get offer of A*AA
I got an offer to study economics at Nottingham university with requirements of AAA however I’m starting to to worry that I won’t achieve it and it seems pretty difficult, I was wondering how lenient Nottingham would be if I missed the requirements by a grade like if I got A*AB or AAB. I’d really like to put it as my firm but I’m worried I won’t get in

Quick Reply

Latest