The Student Room Group

Why hasn't cameras replaced wing mirrors?

Why hasn't cameras replaced wing mirrors?

Benefits of a camera :-

1) Cheaper (Try replacing a car's wing mirror, the electric motor, regulator and housing)

2) Lighter.

3) Significant improvement for aerodynamics.

4) Many times better viewing angle. No more blind spots.

5) Can improve night vision.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Because cameras go wrong more easily. Because a mirror looks more natural than a screen.

Because it's not an issue and nobody cares.
a speck of dirt could completely obscure a camera
They're also pretty bad in the rain.
Would mean the car makers would have to fit another large screen in the dash.

Cameras and screens tend to have a small amount of input lag.
Mirrors have depth perception
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Original post by Alfissti

2) Lighter.

Discuss.

Like what others have said.

But why is this even a priority? As if you're trying to save weight from a ton and a half car? XD

That's like getting a smaller nose done to save weight from obesity, or a haircut.
Reply 5
Original post by Nuffles
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If everyone in the world took that attitude then there'd never even be a car in this world.
Reply 6
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Like what others have said.

But why is this even a priority? As if you're trying to save weight from a ton and a half car? XD

That's like getting a smaller nose done to save weight from obesity, or a haircut.

Every bit helps.
Every bit helps.

Priorities first :tongue:
Reply 8
If everyone in the world took that attitude then there'd never even be a car in this world.

Some things are worth developing, like engines and transmissions. There are almost zero negatives to physical mirrors, and a lot of positives over cameras and screens. Even with engines though, you get gems like the A-series that was used for nearly half a century before it was replaced. Ain't broke don't fix it.
(edited 9 years ago)
My car has a rear view parking camera, and although it is a nice novelty, the view is too distorted to be relied on in quick manoeuvres.
Mirrors work when the engine isn't turned on.
A few reasons, primarily because that would change the mirrors from passive components to active components, meaning that repairs would actually be more expensive, and worse when they failed there wouldn't be any redistribution systems in place.

TLDR: They'd need to put mirrors on the car anyway so that people don't crash if the cameras break.
Reply 12
5) Can improve night vision.

Erm, no, quite the opposite I think. Have you ever tried using a video camera in the dark? VIsibility is far, far worse, cameras need more light than the human eye, plus auto-focus doesn't work properly in low light, meaning even if the image isn't far too dark to see it'll still just be an indistinguishable blur.

You could use some really high-end cameras (think GoPro etc.) to negate this a little bit, but if you do that people are just going to nick them.
Not a necessity.
Reply 14
Original post by Dez
Erm, no, quite the opposite I think. Have you ever tried using a video camera in the dark? VIsibility is far, far worse, cameras need more light than the human eye, plus auto-focus doesn't work properly in low light, meaning even if the image isn't far too dark to see it'll still just be an indistinguishable blur.

You could use some really high-end cameras (think GoPro etc.) to negate this a little bit, but if you do that people are just going to nick them.

Ever driven a Mercedes with the night vision system? Ever viewed a CCTV night vision camera? Both work pretty well in conditions of very low light.

If you are parking in a dark lane, the camera with IR can definitely point out where the kerb is where you won't in most circumstances.

Probably ways to prevent it from being nicked though definitely a concern.
Reply 15
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
A few reasons, primarily because that would change the mirrors from passive components to active components, meaning that repairs would actually be more expensive, and worse when they failed there wouldn't be any redistribution systems in place.

TLDR: They'd need to put mirrors on the car anyway so that people don't crash if the cameras break.

That rarely ever is a concern of a manufacturer.

Does your car have a spare mirror in it by any chance?
That rarely ever is a concern of a manufacturer.

Does your car have a spare mirror in it by any chance?

It doesn't need one, it's a passive component... that's what I was trying to explain...

Don't get me wrong I love the idea of using cameras in cars. But you asked why and I'm explaining. Don't shoot the messenger.
Reply 17
Original post by Nuffles
Some things are worth developing, like engines and transmissions. There are almost zero negatives to physical mirrors, and a lot of positives over cameras and screens. Even with engines though, you get gems like the A-series that was used for nearly half a century before it was replaced. Ain't broke don't fix it.

Something being in production for a long time doesn't make it a gem. The VW air cooled engines had been in production for a lot longer than the A-series, hardly a gem. Also A-series engines didn't live in its original form and the main reason why it survived so long is none other than the company that made them had no money to develop anything better. What was its replacement? Oh that's right there wasn't any the company went to the graveyard of automotive companies.

Negatives to mirrors :-

1) Weight.
2) Aerodynamic drag. (Notice how VW BlueMotion cars have way smaller mirrors?
3) Breakable.
4) Increases the width of the car and pisses me off when someone hits my mirrors :smile:
I'd think they will in time, but at the minute the cost of a good camera, combine with the cost of having to have a high quality dash display would add up. You can see how much car manufactures charge for a built in satnav.

On top of that they would have put normal mirrors on anyway, I doubt many people would want to go straight to a mirror-less system.
Electric windows break more often than manual ones. High tech is not always best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending