The Student Room Group

Am I really a bad person?

Hi,

So basically, I always tell my sister off for speaking to boys; playing the music too loud in the house; singing; and even told her to not have Facebook.

But I got a reality check, after my cousins from Norway decided to stay with me for a month. They are still here with me now, and I noticed that they too were always on their phones using whatsapp, they too had Facebook. They were in fact girls, and in all honesty, I told them off for that. They then told me that I am weird and that for a young person in my 20s, I need a reality check.

So I thought about it for some time, and maybe there is something wrong with me...

How do I let people be more open... just because I have no friends and was bullied does not mean I should be like this to others
Reply 1
Original post by po10tial
Hi,

So basically, I always tell my sister off for speaking to boys; playing the music too loud in the house; singing; and even told her to not have Facebook.

But I got a reality check, after my cousins from Norway decided to stay with me for a month. They are still here with me now, and I noticed that they too were always on their phones using whatsapp, they too had Facebook. They were in fact girls, and in all honesty, I told them off for that. They then told me that I am weird and that for a young person in my 20s, I need a reality check.

So I thought about it for some time, and maybe there is something wrong with me...

How do I let people be more open... just because I have no friends and was bullied does not mean I should be like this to others

Spoiler

You're not a bad person as such, you just should not control your sister's life. It is her life not yours, hence you should not get involved in it. Basically leave her alone she can do whatever the heck she wants.
Reply 2
Original post by Asciant

Spoiler

You're not a bad person as such, you just should not control your sister's life. It is her life not yours, hence you should not get involved in it. Basically leave her alone she can do whatever the heck she wants.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

No seriously, I was not trolling. I seriously need a reality check, despite being in my early 20s.

Yeah, I need to stop being such a ****ing prick and let people do what they want.

I guess I am being over-protective, even though I am not a dad! My sister always says that my wife would leave me, and what upset me the most, was when my parents agreed!!
Reply 3
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

No seriously, I was not trolling. I seriously need a reality check, despite being in my early 20s.

Yeah, I need to stop being such a ****ing prick and let people do what they want.

I guess I am being over-protective, even though I am not a dad! My sister always says that my wife would leave me, and what upset me the most, was when my parents agreed!!

Yeah, you do need a reality check :smile: You can't try to control every aspect of people's lives, it will be really really really annoying for the people involved. Just let people do what they want, if your sister wants to go on Facebook chat to tons of boys have sex whatever then she is allowed to do that (unless she is under 16 in which case exclude the sex bit).

If you're constantly over-protective then you will just annoy people, so try not to be. It doesn't mean that you can't advise against people doing things. For example if your sister wanted to join a drugs gang you could tell her that that is a very bad idea, but don't tell people off about stuff like Facebook. It is their life, not yours. :smile:
You don't sound like a bad person. You sound more like a kill-joy. A sauerkraut. A boring person.

Stop enforcing your lifestyle on others and you should be fine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ChickenMadness
You don't sound like a bad person. You sound more like a kill-joy. A sauerkraut. A boring person.

Stop enforcing your lifestyle on others and you should be fine.

Yeah I am a bit boring lol.

Don't really talk to a lot of people and anti-social.
Yeah I am a bit boring lol.

Don't really talk to a lot of people and anti-social.

Do you like being that way?
HFS you sound like a complete lunatic.

Quick Reply

Latest