The Student Room Group

Computer science degree

It is pretty early for me to be thinking about uni degrees, but I was considering a computer science degree, since I am good at it (GCSE level), what kind of jobs can I get with a degree like that and how much should I expect in terms of salary?
Reply 1
The most obvious job is a software engineer or anything on the lines of that.....I want to do a computer science degree too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah the main one is software engineer but there are a range of jobs available in compsci. I'm applying to uni soon (for 2015 entry) so have been going to a few open days, Bristol uni said that in the USA (they didn't have stats for UK but it will be similar) there would be only 400,000 people qualified to do 1.5 million (or something like that) jobs in CompSci. Or there would be a shortage of 400,000 people qualified, can't quite remember :P Either way the point was there won't be a shortage of jobs for computer scientists.

As for other jobs, they can range from academic research in the field, to jobs in finance, to numerous other things I can't think of on the spot xD Although I would say if it is something you are considering make sure you know which subjects you need to take at A level. A lot of computer science courses require a good understanding in mathematics so most uni's require mathematics at A level and a lot prefer you to have further maths (however they do understand if your sixth form doesn't offer further maths).

Starting salary can have quite a range too. I think the average is around 30,000 a year (someone might want to confirm that) however they can vary a lot. Once again at Bristol the person there mentioned someone had got a job paying £50,000 a year. However the figure might vary depending on which uni you get the degree from however uni stats is very useful for this :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest