Zoe_Marie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm going to start an engineering degree in September; I already speak English and French fluently, German to a reasonable conversational level and I'm currently teaching myself basic Spanish.

What languages are best to learn for engineering, in your experience?
I'mStuckAgain
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zoe_Marie)
I'm going to start an engineering degree in September; I already speak English and French fluently, German to a reasonable conversational level and I'm currently teaching myself basic Spanish.

What languages are best to learn for engineering, in your experience?
Arabic
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say German - especially for automotive engineering?
vdoto
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
German
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Keep learning German! Germany is a very industrial country, and as the above said its very good for the automotive industry too.
Lone tiger
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Probably Hebrew.
chukster97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
latin is my guess
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
English is adequate tbh, never had to read a textbook in German lol
Zoe_Marie
Rep:
?
So I'll work on my German, are you serious about the Arabic and Hebrew? Just a bit nervous about learning a language without a Latin alphabet
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So I'll work on my German, are you serious about the Arabic and Hebrew? Just a bit nervous about learning a language without a Latin alphabet
Unless you want to work abroad (in which case, you should focus on the languages of the country(s) you want to work in) stick to trying to learn engineering, because it's your engineering knowledge and skills that gets you a job.
Zoe_Marie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
Unless you want to work abroad (in which case, you should focus on the languages of the country(s) you want to work in) stick to trying to learn engineering, because it's your engineering knowledge and skills that gets you a job.
Working abroad is just as important to me as being an engineer tbh, and I want to learn languages just for the sake of learning them; it would just be a good idea if I learnt a language that will be helpful career-wise.
Nymthae
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Working abroad is just as important to me as being an engineer tbh, and I want to learn languages just for the sake of learning them; it would just be a good idea if I learnt a language that will be helpful career-wise.
As everyone above, I agree with German as the primary.

At this stage though as you have the main three covered then I wouldn't be too fussed. Work on those for now, possibly a bit of Italian or Dutch if you want to keep in similar fashion, but then wait and see where you end up [career-wise]. Where your company has plants will make the biggest difference. German is the only one I think with a very clear likelihood of coming in useful at this stage for sure. I guess otherwise pick something a bit more likely to open up new areas (i.e. languages used in places like china or india) as you'll never really struggle in Europe with French, Spanish, German and English behind you.

I know some Spanish, and started doing a bit of German during my first year. The company i'm working for right now has plants in various countries, and I got to go spend a week at another site. Unfortunately, it was in France and I don't speak French. If i'd have known!
PerArduaAdAstra
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
German, Chinese, French are probably very wise choices.
Zoe_Marie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks for all your advice
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Chinese going to be essential soon lol.
ElChapo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What type of engineering is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zoe_Marie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by ElChapo)
What type of engineering is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Product design and manufacture
Laura_DCER
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

I work in recruitment in the engineering sector - I am constantly asked by clients for people with either German or French...hope that helps!

Kind regards,

Laura at Dudley Child
muffingg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It seems like German is the way to go with Engineering.
Abzey_97
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Future-wise....spanish, as spanish countries are trying to fix up their countries through engineering so a lot of jobs available too. Im 50% fluent I'd say in spanish, having not touched touched it through the holidays.
I wish to learn german and arabic ( can only speak and write in it) too.

Hope this helped anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (124)
41.47%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (34)
11.37%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (22)
7.36%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
22.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
11.04%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.35%

Watched Threads